Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Kasey McAteer - Everton

13 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

It’s a strange one with McAteer, during the summer we would probably have been lucky to get an offer of more than 250k, a few games of promise and a few goals and all of a sudden there is premier league interest, I like Kasey but if we get an offer of above £7-8m then I think we have to take it, and use it to reinvest,  as I am not sure he has the creativity to be a consistent premier league attacking player. And therefore can see him back in the championship within 12 months and plying his trade there for the remainder of his career. 

Would it make more sense if we try to sell Wayna, McAteer or Thomas? Rather than  Kristensen or (god forbid) Ward. Two of those are clearly not in Enzo's plans and one does have a decent reputation for attracting clubs. It would also count as pure profit from the club because they are academy graduates? 

21 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

It’s a strange one with McAteer, during the summer we would probably have been lucky to get an offer of more than 250k, a few games of promise and a few goals and all of a sudden there is premier league interest, I like Kasey but if we get an offer of above £7-8m then I think we have to take it, and use it to reinvest,  as I am not sure he has the creativity to be a consistent premier league attacking player. And therefore can see him back in the championship within 12 months and plying his trade there for the remainder of his career. 

Agree. He did take the goals he did score well I thought. However, for the rest of the games he appeared to contribute very little. Squad player in the Championship at best. We need more quality and not quantity for the Premiership and ditch as many as possible in the summer along with those players whose contracts are up with the odd exception perhaps. 

• Like 1

Whilst anything for him is neat profit is there any point in selling him just because of that?
He does get game time so lets say we sell for £6m, as a starter '&/or' 1st replacement he needs backfilling so how much do you use of that 6m on his replacement & then how much is left & what can you get for that if we are after an #8 or LB as well.
So sell 6m but need to get 2 premier lge standard (type of profile being requested) winger + an #8 might as well keep & nurture, he's only had 13 snr appearences with us where he has done pretty well. He's understanding the requirement of covering the RB position as well as getting in the box & once bulked up (on a snr program) & with a bit more experience could become something.

• Like 1

Not really fussed tbh. Everything comes down to how much we'd be offered by interested parties and how much Enzo rates him for now and the future. Only thing is that at present, Kasey is a squad player and come the summer we may have to replace 2 or more of the first 11 so any funds that you can get from the non-starters is massive. If Enzo thinks he'll become a first 11 player, then keep. If not, then it's all about the value proposition.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, filbertway said:

How have I only just seen this thread! lol

Absolutely wild that anyone would be willing to pay above 500k for this lad.

Its amazing how much sway a few goals has had on opinion on this lad.

Any PL side loans out such a player and they score 5 goals in their first 5-10 games, someone blindly offers £10m for them minimum..

There's an art to it, we've fallen foul before.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Any PL side loans out such a player and they score 5 goals in their first 5-10 games, someone blindly offers £10m for them minimum..

There's an art to it, we've fallen foul before.

Indeed, if I hadn't really watched him and saw those stats I'd be begging for my team to put a bid in for £4-5 million on the basis he must have some potential. I swear someone paid £10 million for Jordan Ibe at some point. That's why it's so important for us to get our promising youngsters out playing football on loan. You get a player that impresses at championship level who's 18-20, it'll instantly ramp up their value. Of course that means actually hiring top quality youth scouts and not just asking Villa who's being released in the summer.

Back onto Kasey though, the amount of times he absolute murders our forward momentum due to a poor touch, poor cross, poor pass or just not having awareness of runners around him tells me that he's not got the basic characteristics to be playing in the top 2 leagues.

I know people want him to do well because he's come through the academy, I've just not seen anything that screams out there's a rough diamond there.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Indeed, if I hadn't really watched him and saw those stats I'd be begging for my team to put a bid in for £4-5 million on the basis he must have some potential. I swear someone paid £10 million for Jordan Ibe at some point. That's why it's so important for us to get our promising youngsters out playing football on loan. You get a player that impresses at championship level who's 18-20, it'll instantly ramp up their value. Of course that means actually hiring top quality youth scouts and not just asking Villa who's being released in the summer.

Back onto Kasey though, the amount of times he absolute murders our forward momentum due to a poor touch, poor cross, poor pass or just not having awareness of runners around him tells me that he's not got the basic characteristics to be playing in the top 2 leagues.

I know people want him to do well because he's come through the academy, I've just not seen anything that screams out there's a rough diamond there.

I'm not writing him off just yet but I've never got the impression he's ever going to be PL class.

He did very well at the start of the season and he's got one thing you can't teach, movement and ability to be on the end of chances. There are obvious limitations currently that you've described above. I just don't think he's a winger. He's a central midfielder or makeshift striker IMO.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not writing him off just yet but I've never got the impression he's ever going to be PL class.

He did very well at the start of the season and he's got one thing you can't teach, movement and ability to be on the end of chances. There are obvious limitations currently that you've described above. I just don't think he's a winger. He's a central midfielder or makeshift striker IMO.

Agree with this. Now is the time to try him out there. He certainly has the energy and dynamism,  as well as the defensive instincts and willingness to work hard, that you need to fill one of the number 8 roles in Enzo's system. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 14:23, BKLFox said:

Whilst anything for him is neat profit is there any point in selling him just because of that?
He does get game time so lets say we sell for £6m, as a starter '&/or' 1st replacement he needs backfilling so how much do you use of that 6m on his replacement & then how much is left & what can you get for that if we are after an #8 or LB as well.
So sell 6m but need to get 2 premier lge standard (type of profile being requested) winger + an #8 might as well keep & nurture, he's only had 13 snr appearences with us where he has done pretty well. He's understanding the requirement of covering the RB position as well as getting in the box & once bulked up (on a snr program) & with a bit more experience could become something.

There's a number of players who can be sold that wouldn't need to be back filled and he's probably one of them?

If we class him as a winger we already have Mavidivi, Akgun, Fatawu, Albrighton, Wanya and perhaps other young prospects. Admittedly there are question marks re contracts about a couple of those. Although Mcateer has taken his goals well, his other contribution has arguably been questionable and hardly indicative of a Premiership standard player.

He is very responsible on the the defensive side of his position & has kicked in with goals so I see him as being a Maresca type of player. He can be brought on at the 60 minute mark to see out a game & also pose an offensive threat.  I don't see Enzo letting him leave  !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

He is very responsible on the the defensive side of his position & has kicked in with goals so I see him as being a Maresca type of player. He can be brought on at the 60 minute mark to see out a game & also pose an offensive threat.  I don't see Enzo letting him leave  !!

depends how desperate he is to strengthen other areas..

1 minute ago, MPH said:

depends how desperate he is to strengthen other areas..

For sure.  If  Enzo thinks he can use him to improve somewhere else but  the money would have to be right & I don't see him bringing in enough to make the move worthwhile.

Just now, gurru991 said:

For sure.  If  Enzo thinks he can use him to improve somewhere else but  the money would have to be right & I don't see him bringing in enough to make the move worthwhile.

personally, I’d keep him. He’ll only get better and could be a 20m player in 12-18 months time. But if someone slaps in a 10m big in our current predicament, it would be hard to turn down..

• Like 1

I remember not rating him early on but then thought he has potential.  Injury has clearly set him back, but there was enough there that I would prefer we keep him, unless of course is a silly money which would probably be anything over 30 million, 10 million now days is an mediocre fee.

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

That might come in quite useful now we have holes to fill in central midfield. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 09:51, Ric Flair said:

I add to that he pass the physicality, decent height, good pace and can run all day.

On 20/01/2024 at 09:33, filbertway said:

At 22 that's still all coachable and mainly down to inexperience in my view.

When KDH went out on loan at similar age you would have thought he could develop in a PL player.