Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Not strengthening the team in January

Agree entirely, the little boost / fresh enthusiasm to the squad would have been great.

Most of all though we’re desperate for another option at centre mid - losing Ndidi & Casadei has resulted in KDH looking knackered. let’s hope we ride it out

6 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Is this a knee jerk reaction to losing yesterday?

Not really mate, look how cooked our central midfielders are, a bit of squad depth would have helped, which we have evidently lost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Not really mate, look how cooked our central midfielders are, a bit of squad depth would have helped, which we have evidently lost.

Yes, it would have helped. But we couldn’t afford it. And we have Yunus who has barely played and Praet who has played 4 games.

And most of us would felt our first half against Wednesday was close to perfection.

Yesterday we simply missed too many chances, just like when we played at their place. Midfielders didn’t miss their chances.

5 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Cooked, or just that they had a poor game yesterday? 

Maybe a bit of both, but come on you cannot deny we are light in central midfield with Ndidi out and losing Casadei, I would have expected us to bring in a replacement in January , and we didn’t do that. I still think we have enough to get automatic promotion.

• Like 1

Most teams in this division would love a Yunus, Choudhury, Praet and McAteer.

You could argue that Cover, Alves and Braybrook would already be playing at lower Championship clubs. 

Reality is, if we can’t improve on quality, what’s the point in bringing in players for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Fox said:

Maybe a bit of both, but come on you cannot deny we are light in central midfield with Ndidi out and losing Casadei, I would have expected us to bring in a replacement in January , and we didn’t do that. I still think we have enough to get automatic promotion.

Yea we are weaker depth wise. I’d like to see more of Yunus because I think he has real guile and quality in central areas. 

Chelsea recalling Casadei just looks like a complete waste of time for him.

Cup tied - so he’s missed those games.

He’s played 5 minutes against Liverpool and 8 minutes against Manchester City. 

I can only think they were not happy with what they were seeing here, so decided to drag him back. 

We knew Ndidi was going to be out for the majority of the season (other than Wilf himself who thought he was back after 2 weeks). 

We lost Casadei too.

Our midfield is unquestionably weaker and we've always had a distinct lack of reliable back up out wide.

But we have overspent last summer / got our maths wrong. It's about time the January transfer window doesn't cost us. Please get it over the line Leicester.

• Like 1

I was just reading an article on the BBC website about Celtic and thinking that was us a year ago... 

"Poor summer transfer window, poor January transfer window, Rodgers asking for quality players publicly and not getting them" 

Was just thinking about how well Mareaca had done to lose players and build a cohesive squad without all of the whinging that derailed last year and then I see this thread! :S

• Like 1

Nothing to do with yesterday as I was saying all through January about the central midfielder issue with losing Ndidi and Casadei with it already being a position we weren’t blessed with strength.

However @Sly makes a very good point about adding increased quality given that we do at least have decent numbers in the squad.

Sometimes it’s just about adding a spark to a squad in January. Southampton also already had good depth but look at the impact Brooks and Rothwell on loan are making. 

Ultimately we had to do the right thing financially by the club. It’d have been nice to add a loan (as above the Southampton ones are loans) but who knows, maybe nobody was available that fitted or would have been a worthwhile addition.

It’s the old if you’re not improving your squad you’re standing still which can be a problem if others are improving. Hopefully it’s a calculated decision based on our lead and squad available and we have enough to see the job through.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Absolute guarantee you wouldn't of made this thread had we won yesterday. So is a knee jerk reaction. 

Completely disagree. We have arguably the strongest squad this league has ever seen. Why sign players for the sake of it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adster said:

Absolute guarantee you wouldn't of made this thread had we won yesterday. So is a knee jerk reaction. 

Completely disagree. We have arguably the strongest squad this league has ever seen. Why sign players for the sake of it? 

The squad is really strong, but it's not exactly balanced.  We have 4 strikers for a system which uses one.  5/6 centre backs when we only use two.  Christ, we had 4 goalkeepers for the 1st half of the season.  

It's reasonable to say we needed a central midfielder... We have 5 natural central midfielders in a system that uses 3.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adster said:

It’s not for the sake of it if it’s replacing players we have lost (due to injury or recall from loan) though is it?

I’d agree if we hadn’t actively lost players in the same position. We didn’t necessarily need to do further strengthening on top of what we had but we are weaker than we went into the window.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

We needed a player or two imo , and not strengthening hopefully it won’t have an adverse effect as we get to the business end of the season. Our first team and squad is strong don’t get me wrong, but definitely feel if we could call on the likes of Sensi and another player it would have helped in games like yesterday.

What part of FFP or selling before we bought didn't you get?

• Like 1