Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
melrose

FA Cup win or Promotion

18 minutes ago, jerry said:

Agree. But believe you are optimistic comparing this team to mid table Premier, would more likely be a Sheffield United or Burnley.

Oh, the point I was badly making was that the days of trying to qualifying for the champions league are long gone for various reasons and our long term realistic ceiling were the teams mentioned, maybe Brighton / West Ham at a push. 

The thread title seems pretty full of Hubris.

Wouldn't want Nemesis to hand us a tonking off Chelsea and three more losses on the bounce in the league.

Why not just start a thread called "We can't possibly fail, bwahahaha" and take it from there?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Promotion. That’s what we have invested our emotions in all season. I want to see us back in the Premier League next season more than anything else.

That said, I am reading some sound arguments on here for FA Cup…

Agree but that’s the best case scenario. Think unless we’re willing/able to heavily invest then I think there’s a high chance we’ll just come straight back down like Burnley SheffUtd and Luton anyway and the promotion will be kind of pointless.

Definitely take the FA Cup win either way.

Just now, Sampson said:

Agree but that’s the best case scenario. Think unless we’re willing/able to heavily invest then I think there’s a high chance we’ll just come straight back down like Burnley SheffUtd and Luton anyway and the promotion will be kind of pointless.

Definitely take the FA Cup win either way.

Not necessarily true. Regardless of our financial constraints we’re thrice the size of clubs like Burnley, Luton and Sheff United.

Winning the FA cup would do nothing for us besides satisfy the nostalgic hearts and a few fans. 

Not getting promotion could well put the future of this club in jeopardy…. 

We’re clearly not going to win it, but, I can’t for the life of me understand why fans would be happy to sacrifice promotion, which is genuinely a necessity for a trophy we’ve already won….. the FA cup (for now) isn’t going anywhere, so there’s no need to worry about it this season, this season is all about securing the future of the club by doing what’s necessary. 

It’s a bit like going to the doctors, and they say to you, “Karen, Peter one more cigarette will kill you, but if you don’t smoke again, the likelihood is your health will improve, and you’ll go on to live a normal life” but Karen and Peter “love a ciggy” down the local….. so to satisfy their nostalgic outlook on life, they share one last ciggy together, which subsequently ends their lives. But it was a lovely day out none the less. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

For **** sake. 

Can we stop bullshit threads like this….. we’re not going to win the FA cup, and not getting promoted will **** us.

Does that answer the question? 

I think so.

Normally I would get quite annoyed with those people who don’t take the cup competitions seriously. Trophies are rare and precious moments in our history. 

This season, however, I’m totally focussed on the league. I think partly because our relegation was so pointless and unavoidable. 

That’s not to say that I’ve quite liked seeing how the squad players perform in the FA Cup and that it wouldn’t be nice to win it by accident 

There are plenty of "bullshit" threads already on this forum, just have a look through sometime.

Anyway to answer the original question, there is no better place than the Premiership so I would prefer that.

To win the FA Cup again would be a bonus but not at the expense of playing another season in this dire league.

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I can’t believe anyone would even ask that question, but then I couldn’t believe it was asked about FA Cup or UCL qualification either.

7 hours ago, Brooksy said:

FA cup easily. It'd be so Leicester to win it as a 2nd tier side too.

6 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Promotion 100% for me.

Not an easy question then is it!

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Anyway to answer the original question, there is no better place than the Premiership so I would prefer that.

Apart from simply being the top division, the Premier League has nothing at all to recommend it. It's a horrible place.

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

To win the FA Cup again would be a bonus but not at the expense of playing another season in this dire league

Is it the refreshing lack of hype, the fact that fans tend to be real fans, there being some real grounds or the competitive and unpredictable nature of the league that you dislike?

48 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Oh, the point I was badly making was that the days of trying to qualifying for the champions league are long gone for various reasons and our long term realistic ceiling were the teams mentioned, maybe Brighton / West Ham at a push. 

I agree. I'm an old codger but just used to go to Filbo with no other expectations than hoping to be entertained , now fans seem obsessed with the financial aspect of the game - sad should be escapism.

• Like 3

WTAF is going on? I expected this entire thread to be full of comments like " what a silly question" and "close thread" but instead it's full of people who would actually prefer to win the cup! 

If we won the cup, we would HAVE to cash in on some of our better players and it would restrict us on the players we could sign. Europe or not, we would have a weaker team next season than we do right now JUST to satisfy FFP, in turn, hurting our chances of going up next season. 

Going up eases our financial burden significantly and gives us a chance to improve on our squad. 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Would the money from an European tour be enough to hold off the FFP/financial worries? 

FA Cup winners qualify for the Europa League group stage which this year gets you roughly 3.5m euros

2 minutes ago, Harboro said:

FA Cup winners qualify for the Europa League group stage which this year gets you roughly 3.5m euros

People are moaning we look tired now, so lets see how we'd look having lost a number of players because we haven't gone up and having to cram another 6 games in, along with the travelling. 

6 minutes ago, Harboro said:

Bit more than that when you add on incoming revenue for ticket sales and TV payments 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

People are moaning we look tired now, so lets see how we'd look having lost a number of players because we haven't gone up and having to cram another 6 games in, along with the travelling. 

8 games next season with the new format 

• Like 2

Based purely on finance choose promotion. Based purely on glory then F A Cup win. My ideal scenario apart from winning both this season (no chance) is for promotion this season and maintaining status comfortably next season and winning the Cup. Anyway time to wake up

I think it depends whether the potential financial mire of non promotion, threatens our existence or not.

If not, The FA Cup for sure.  I'd take a decade in the wilderness for that.   Fortunes come and go in cycles, trophies are forever and that is the ultimate aim for any club.

Anyway, an FA Cup win is fantasy for a Championship club in this day and age and given current form, our big Wembley day out might end up being a play-off final.

7 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Bit more than that when you add on incoming revenue for ticket sales and TV payments 

Yh should say that’s just base, a win gets you another 600k, plus then there’s coefficient and market pool money