Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
melrose

FA Cup win or Promotion

My breezy cheeky answer is Both.

I always want my club to win their matches.  I also understand the wear and tear on the players.

But, the FFP rumors move my preference toward promotion.  Being penalized for financial breaches while still stuck in this division would be very damaging to the club.

I will trust the manager to manage the squad.  He rotated the squad pretty significantly for Bournemouth and we still won.

• Like 1

Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

But ultimately an FA Cup win goes down in folklore and remembered for years to come.

While it would be disaster to blow Promotion now, we'd have another crack at going up next year and the hurt will go. Can't say the same for the Cup so would always value it more. You have to take every opportunity!

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 3

I genuinely don't know.

If you talk about the honours board of the club, two FA Cups would be great but I hate this anonymous, badly-officiated, s#ithole bunfight of a division with all my heart. BUT that day at Wembley, sexy masks 'n all, was incredible. BUT it's not the same as being up there with the elite. BUT it's a trophy.

Can't we do both? Go up and win the cup?

• Like 1

Winning the FA Cup, then not getting promoted from the Championship would be so Leicester.

We need to make this a one season stay in this league, so promotion is vital for us longer term. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I can’t believe anyone would even ask that question, but then I couldn’t believe it was asked about FA Cup or UCL qualification either.

Fa Cup win trumps finishing 4th in the Premier League every time!

On the promotion question, it’s sad but if we don’t go up this season, we could be in a mess financially, so it has to be promotion right now.

We all watch football to see our club win things at the end of the day and that’s what’s more important.

I would, however, take finishing 3rd and risk the playoffs and win the fa cup over finishing top 2!

• Like 1

FA Cup.

Lets be honest, if we go up our existence in the premier league would probably be similar to Wolves or a glorified Crystal Palace with little to no hope of winning trophies anyway, we arent going back up to challenge for the champions league spots again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

West Ham were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup in 1980. They also finish 7th in Division 1 that season. Leicester won Division 1 that year, pipping Sunderland, Birmingham and Chelsea to the title. 

The following season, West Ham amassed a record points total, reached the League cup final (losing on a replay). Lost to Wrexham in the 2nd round of the FA Cup whilst defending it, then lost in the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup Winners Cup. 

Not bad for a Division 1 side but weird and true. 

• Like 2

Promotion. That’s what we have invested our emotions in all season. I want to see us back in the Premier League next season more than anything else.

That said, I am reading some sound arguments on here for FA Cup…

• Like 2

Heart says FA cup head says promotion, money for promotion far outweighs money FA cup

• Extra preliminary round winners £1,125
  • Extra preliminary round losers £375
  • Preliminary round winners £1,444
  • Preliminary round losers £481
  • First round qualifying winners £2,250
  • First round qualifying losers £750
  • Second round qualifying winners £3,375
  • Second round qualifying losers £1,125
  • Third round qualifying winners £5,625
  • Third round qualifying losers £1,875
  • Fourth round qualifying winners £9,375
  • Fourth round qualifying losers £3,125
  • First round proper winners £41,000
  • Second round proper winners £67,000
  • Third round proper winners £105,000
  • Fourth round proper winners £120,000
  • Fifth round proper winners £225,000
  • Quarter-final winners £450,000
  • Semi-final winners £1,000,000
  • Semi-final losers £500,000
  • Final runners-up £1,000,000
  • Final winners £2,000,000

13 minutes ago, Nalis said:

FA Cup.

Lets be honest, if we go up our existence in the premier league would probably be similar to Wolves or a glorified Crystal Palace with little to no hope of winning trophies anyway, we arent going back up to challenge for the champions league spots again.

Agree. But believe you are optimistic comparing this team to mid table Premier, would more likely be a Sheffield United or Burnley.