Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Millwall (A) - Post match 1-0

21 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

So we can blame Enzo all we want, but Mavididi, KDH, Vards,Akgun, Wilf, all shocking this evening, As someone mentioned earlier, with a game in hand, and Leeds having 4 games left…..it is very much down to us, starting with three points on Friday, and no, it won’t be easy

You're correct my friend, they weren't the best tonight.

But, Wilf lacked fitness and Vardy lacked service.

But Enzo also made the decision to swap KDH and Wilf over ( breaking up a comfortable and known partnership) 

Enzo, is also in control, with regards to subs and insisting on playing EnzoBall 

The book stops with him and his overall decisions.

• Like 3

Can you imagine a win tonight puts us 4 ahead of Leeds with game in and and chance for it to be 7 before they play Saturday. 

We just never ever make it that easy do we?

Edited by Gamble92
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

This squad in this division should be comfortably averaging 2+ a game. You make it sound like he's got a bunch of league one players over performing.

What are you talking about? 

In ANY league, having a good squad does not equal promotion or success. Our own club is proof of that! 

But yes you’re right, our squad is the best in the league. You’re right, we should be averaging 2+ goals a game. We are 3 goals off that marker you have set, or 0.08 a game. Throw the baby out with the bath water, this is atrocious, how will we survive?!?

if you’re referring to 2+ points per game, we’re at 2.14, which is still the best in the league.

My criticism is still solely at the management of this team in this run since Feb. Since we beat Stoke 5-0, we haven’t looked completely convincing. I think the players are clearly tired, we have experience on the bench, and the headloss we’ve suffered has been preventable.

We are able to nuanced in thinking mate. I still love the system, I think we are mismanaging it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

You're correct my friend, they weren't the best tonight.

But, Wilf lacked fitness and Vardy lacked service.

But Enzo also made the decision to swap KDH and Wilf over ( breaking up a comfortable and known partnership) 

Enzo, is also in control, with regards to subs and insisting on playing EnzoBall 

The book stops with him and his overall decisions.

But I thought he had no plan B? That he's rigid?

We mixed it up and fvcked it up. Yet I'm still reading the same tired crap on here.

We played long, it was wasteful. Yet apparently we're still playing slow around the back? 

We saw players moving out of position. It led to their goal and chances. Yet we're rigid, too structured. 

We continued to miss good chances. Mavididi, Ricardo, Iheanacho, Daka. Yet we're ineffective?

Am I going insane?

• Thanks 1

Even when we’ve been strolling past teams in the early part of the season, we’ve been so casual, bordering on arrogant. We always seem to think we’ll get something just because we have ‘better players’. Again it’s evident there is still a sloppy attitude running through this group and I don’t know how we weed it out! The amount of chances we have given teams during the season is concerning! I should’ve put money on Millwall 1-0 tonight, it was worryingly predictable. I backed the mentality of them after Leeds away, but it looks like I was wrong. We seem determined to throw this away. At least with the final two away games moved, it’s saved me 60 odd quid on tickets! Sightseeing in London on the coach back was more entertaining!! 

Mavididi had one of his stinkers, how he stayed on over Yunes is beyond me, but as he’s the only one who can do something out of nothing, I get it a bit as well. Why we gave up attacking after the first ten minutes I will never understand. Disappointed but sadly not surprised 

11 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

We mixed it up and fvcked it up. Yet I'm still reading the same tired crap on here.

We played long, it was wasteful. Yet apparently we're still playing slow around the back? 

We saw players moving out of position. It led to their goal and chances. Yet we're rigid, too structured. 

We continued to miss good chances. Mavididi, Ricardo, Iheanacho, Daka. Yet we're ineffective?

Am I going insane?

Probably 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Langston said:

Yep, that's me off the Enzo express tonight.

1 clean sheet in the league this calendar year is inexcusable. Our defensive structure is diabolical and he continues to make a rod for his own back when every man and his dog can see Faes is in desperate need of being dropped.

It's the worst combination of both boring and shaky. Get him out.

And Coady & Jannik played 120 mins against a Prem side AWAY & we didn’t concede,  ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Am I going insane?

Nope, not insane, just reading many people’s views so there won’t be a singular viewpoint, and sometimes both things can be true.

I’ll put my views against those listed if it helps!

No plan B. Absolutely. It’s rigid plan A. However for some bizarre reason he played two centre mids on their wrong side. Same tactics, just asked players that consistently play badly in that role to try again.

For 75 minutes we created absolutely nothing. Had two tame shots on goal. Then when finally we chased the game slightly we missed a couple of chances.  

We do play it around the back, needlessly and pointlessly recycling the ball, almost playing like we’re wasting time. Then equally pointlessly loft a Sunday league percentage ball. Again we do both, it makes no sense does it? If you’re going to play percentage football do it quickly and relentlessly - 90 times a game and you’ll make ten chances. Waste time like there’s a possession masterplan prior to the lump it and hope ball means it happens 18 times and you create 2 chances.

We’re top of the league and look terrible. 

Another example of both things can be true, however seemingly contrarian 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Nope, not insane, just reading many people’s views so there won’t be a singular viewpoint, and sometimes both things can be true.

I’ll put my views against those listed if it helps!

No plan B. Absolutely. It’s rigid plan A. However for some bizarre reason he played two centre mids on their wrong side. Same tactics, just asked players that consistently play badly in that role to try again.

For 75 minutes we created absolutely nothing. Had two tame shots on goal. Then when finally we chased the game slightly we missed a couple of chances.  

We do play it around the back, needlessly and pointlessly recycling the ball, almost playing like we’re wasting time. Then equally pointlessly loft a Sunday league percentage ball. Again we do both, it makes no sense does it? If you’re going to play percentage football do it quickly and relentlessly - 90 times a game and you’ll make ten chances. Waste time like there’s a possession masterplan prior to the lump it and hope ball means it happens 18 times and you create 2 chances.

We’re top of the league and look terrible. 

Another example of both things can be true, however seemingly contrarian 

It was more than that though, it was effectively a different formation. N'didi was deeper than in previous games for some reason. We'd have been better served being more like our Plan A, wouldn't we? lol

Regarding playing around the back and long balls, it's because we get stuck.

Our 8s are frankly crap at taking the ball on the turn or finding that around the corner pass. I'd be tempted to leave N'didi out on Friday for a combination of this reason and the fact he looks cooked. Praet looked decent when he came on.

Eventually the centre halves get sick of our 8s' failed attempts and think sod this, and either lump it or go on a risky run. Either way they look to miss them out.

This system will work. And although KDH has popped up with a lot of goals this season, he doesn't suit the system in what is the key position to make it work. Same with N'didi.

The way I look at it, if this can be true and yet we're still top of the league, there's a lot of potential there for us to tap into. Imagine how good plan A could look with two actual 8s.

It wouldn't make sense to reinvent the wheel this late into the season. It's too late. The best thing Enzo can do now is insist that Faes stops his mazy runs (or, better, drop him), and keep plugging away with the inside runs from our 8s. If we can get our wide men involved from diagonals a bit like how we did vs. Norwich, it gives us more opportunities to get our 8s on the ball attacking the box. Pretty important that, given they appear utterly incapable of doing anything with their backs to goal. Emphasis on diagonals. Straight long balls from centre halves are too easy to defend.

It just felt tonight that we never really had the ball in our possession in their half in central areas. Credit to Millwall I think, but also I think revisiting the core principals of Plan A would be no bad thing. Not sure I'm liking the look of Plan B!

55 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

What's funny is, the Enzo and EnzoBall lovers claim that the Norwich performance was the style / the idea working brilliantly.  ( But they would wouldn't they) I called it at the time and still do now, 'BS' on that front.

The Norwich performance was the teams reaction to the various aspects of disgruntlement from the crowd,  the ironic cheering for a forward pass. etc. The team thankfully reacted positively to it and played an element of Anti-Enzoball for the want of a better word.

Enzo noticed and reacted also to the various aspects of disgruntlement,  but his actions were to 

have a pop at a section of fans, to then wagging his 'calm down arms' at the team because we weren't patient and controlling enough.

A Norwich quality of performance, with the same overall application of the 'alternative style' would have beaten Millwall this evening.

As you’ve stated in the last paragraph, all we ask for as fans is a certain level of application, the aggressiveness we saw against Norwich was completely different to anything we’ve seen in a while. 

We got none of that tonight, tonight was going through the motions type football, back to the tepid shite that we’ve seen far too often recently. 

Like many others have said tonight, it’s difficult to put up with that kind of football. 

We are like a poundland Manchester City, too full of players who don’t fit well enough in that kind of style. 

Said it on here last week, I’d rather see an energetic counter-pressing style over a controlled possession style.

Possession style football at Leicester City has past it’s sell-by date. 

• Like 1

Absolutely shocking performance from start to finish. The most entertaining thing was the Millwall fan in the white jacket.

Completely unacceptable to see a side with so much individual quality so rigid and stifled. Enzo out for me. No achievement to get the most expensive side in the history of the Championship at the top. We should be there.

No tempo to our game and we are far too predictable. We are at the top despite the boring tactics, not because of them.

Loads of happy clappers at the end. The performance should have got pelters. How can you clap that shite?

Oh and the atmosphere was crap for most of the game so the intimidating atmosphere at Millwall can't be used as an excuse.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Any stats for that, because for expected assists he isn’t top IMG_3581.thumb.jpeg.dc5a8177c32de76ead8ba5eaef9413f8.jpeg

Opta define a “big chance” as

A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances.

IMG_0209.png

Edited by Beechey

Just got back. That was diabolical. The worst we’ve played for years. The 72% possession will make Enzo and his pal Guillem extremely erect I’m sure but when you’re churning out tactical disasters like that in between your arrogant celebrations of games you should win easily you need to give your head a wobble.

No chance this team wins a playoff game if we end up there. An absolute bunch of fannys throughout.

So here we are, again. Another loss that we really should not be losing. 

We’ve mentioned the last two games being pivotal, and the weekend being a major turning point, however, it isn’t and wasn’t. Tonight was pivotal for me, and the reason is it confirms that we do not have what it takes to get promoted from this division. 

You don’t lose to struggling teams like Millwall if you’re seeking promotion, tonight was a disgrace, it’s the worst performance for a long time and if that hasn’t shaken the board to the core, I don’t know what will. 

Many will spring to the managers defence, saying “well what about the players?” Yes, they carry some of the blame, but the majority rests on the shoulders of the coach. His philosophy, naivety and arrogance are at the moment undoing everything we achieve prior to Christmas. He’s starting to learn the hard way, and being a young manager he will make mistakes, and learn harsh lessons, and we are a product of his mistakes, and harsh lessons when we really can’t afford to be. 

The future of this club depends on promotion, and we’ve left it in the hands of a stubborn, inexperienced manager. 

It’s never going to end well, because time after time Enzo proves over and over again that he isn’t up to the task. 

He’s making indefensible decisions, and they’re all bad ones. The fact Faes is still playing is absolutely unreal, he’s been honking for months and is desperate to be dropped but won’t be, this is the most worrying part of this fiasco, either Enzo can’t see it, or refuses to see it, but this team is crying for on field leadership, and he just refuses to call upon it. We’ve got Albrighton too, again, he may be on the wrong side of 30, but Jesus wept, his experience would be integral…… this evening, we had no answers, no answers against a side embroiled in a relegation battle…… 

Theres a clear patter emerging, that any side with an ounce of fight and grit about them will beat us, they don’t even have to play well, because they know we will give up enough clear cut chances for them to score, and we won’t be able to score. 

The manager unfortunately hasn’t a clue what he is doing, and the board will clearly be happy to let us sink into the playoffs and “give that a go”, and let’s face it, we won’t be winning the play offs, because the mentality required to win it far exceeds what we are capable of. 

The only chance of promotion we have now, is if either Leeds or Ipswich have a massive collapse….. otherwise it’s going to be a painful exit from the playoffs, which is likely to be at the hands of Coventry……

Enzo has been given multiple chances to change and he hasn’t, all we’ve got is blind hope now, and it’s frankly unforgivable.

Regardless of what happens Enzo needs to go in the summer. It will never happen, but I think the only other way of potentially salvaging this season is to sack him, but it’s far too late for that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peterborofox said:

Would love to know why some fans are clapping the players off tonight. Got pelters for the Bristol performance but this was far far worse. Barely made a chance until the end. 

Some of our fans would clap a stranger out of their bedroom after catching them fvcking their spouse.

Well, that was a bit crap wasn’t it?

I don’t expect us to beat Millwall just because it’s Millwall. I don’t necessarily expect us to beat them because of their recent form. I don’t expect to beat anyone in this league for the most part, that’s just not how it works in here… 

What I do expect, however, is that we’ll at least look like we’re trying to win. Tonight, we managed that only from about the 87th minute onwards. Which is a shame considering we’d already been losing for quite a while before that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Just got back. Found it very odd the number of people applauding the players off at the end. Felt as if I was the only one giving them pelters. 

You weren't the only one but we were in the minority. 

• Like 1

It was seriously like watching over-50s playing walking football for long periods of that second half with our defence. Strolling around, stopping and passing to whoever was closest and standing still to get the ball back. Repeat. I'm probably doing a disservice to good walking football teams.