Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Plymouth A

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His comments on Cannon this morning are very concerning. His decision or lack of decision on Cannon is poor IMO.

If Enzo doesn't rate him, like it would seem with Coady then there's once again a big disconnect with scouts, recruitment and manager. We won't get every signing bang on but it's always alarming when a manager won't even give them a chance.

Shot himself in the foot with comments like that, too. 

Trains fantastic, has to play a striker, but opts for the one that is perhaps the worst finisher in the squad. 

Something definitely doesn't add up with what's going on between Maresca and Cannon. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

If we had a 1 on 1 out of the 4 strikers we have id only trust Cannon to score it right now 

But I do think his stock has risen by not playing, as the other 2 have been horrendous and Vardy has been wasteful 

2 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

But I do think his stock has risen by not playing, as the other 2 have been horrendous and Vardy has been wasteful 

You’re probably right. Although I always thought Cannon did well when he played. I just can’t take Daka anymore

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His comments on Cannon this morning are very concerning. His decision or lack of decision on Cannon is poor IMO.

If Enzo doesn't rate him, like it would seem with Coady then there's once again a big disconnect with scouts, recruitment and manager. We won't get every signing bang on but it's always alarming when a manager won't even give them a chance.

Shows his lack of experience/knowledge on man management. We have been relying on 13 players and the better managers wouldn’t have that, it’s what will eventually cost us.

• Like 3

On 09/04/2024 at 21:55, sylofox said:

Anyone driving be careful from about 20 miles out. The cam van will be out on the A38 most likely on the bridge at Plympton.

The town is also full of speed and red light cams. Would not want any of you traveling home with more pts than the foxes do.

I know you've all laughed at my opening post but it is serious. My speed awareness course next Friday is proof and I know the barstwards sit on that stretch.

Just take care and don't get caught.

I think Cannon has been suffering with injury, whilst he has now come back he is currently going to be battling for the 2nd striker role on the bench as I feel Enzo will continue to rotate Vardy and Daka as his starters, personally I would put Cannon on the bench in place of Kelechi for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

I quite like what I've seen from Cannon to be honest. Not the finished article but I think there's a decent player there, he needs to play and learn though, yet we persist with bench options who will be gone in the summer. Enzo's man management can be very poor at times.

• Like 2

How bloody nice would it be though for us to win this (and win comfortably - not just go 1-0 up, then sit back!) and really, really, REALLY pile the pressure onto Leeds and Ipswich?

I really can't see it happening and fully expect Plymouth to turn us over, but I'd bloody love to be proven wrong!

3 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

I feel there are just two things we need to do to give ourselves the best chance to win. One, the manager needs to instruct Wout not to charge forward. It rarely leads to a goal, and more often it leads to a turnover and opportunity for the opposition. It's a pointless play.

Second, ping loads of diagonal balls to the wingers, and have them run to Plymouth's box, as they both cause chaos. It also widens the game.

That's it. It's that simple in my eyes.

Whatever we do, it needs to be done at pace. Walking football will never stretch the opposition & is much too easy to defend against.

I just worry that Enzo only really trusts 12/13 of his squad & wants them to preserve energy levels. 

Edited by STEVIE B

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Shot himself in the foot with comments like that, too. 

Trains fantastic, has to play a striker, but opts for the one that is perhaps the worst finisher in the squad. 

Something definitely doesn't add up with what's going on between Maresca and Cannon. 

I also agree Daka has been given far too many chances, but maybe Daka is our best finisher in training hence why he’s ahead of the rest. We only see 90 mins of the players every week, Enzo sees way more. Although the 90 mins are what matters the most so he should be taking that into consideration IMO.

3 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Agreed - although sometimes that could be seen as 'probing'. The greatest example I've seen of how this system could be more flexible is a home game some time ago, when Mads and one of the defenders played a bit of to-me, to-you. Then Patson trotted back inside our half, before turning, sprinting forward, at which point Mads launched the ball forward, Patson beat the defender and scored. It was a proper inventive, but very much a 'route one' goal. Basically just mixing it up, which is what we failed to do so dramatically at Millwall. When we were more direct in the final minutes we created three chances (Ricky's shot, headers by Kelechi and Patson). Even given how poor we were we should have emerged from that game with a late equaliser.

Alright Barry Chuckle!

Yea it’s about urgency isn’t it. We’re now in a stage of the season where it’s all about sprinting over the line.

Earlier on in the season we’d often win games in the last 20 mins when our possession and probing tired teams out, and we took chances. That was often deemed to be a bit causal, but it was fine as we were taking our chance. To some extent this needs binning because as you say to get the job done it’s all about mixing it up and having a plan B. Honestly in some games wouldn’t mind Souttar going up front for his presence, because this season we’ve also played games where we’ve put cross after cross in but we have no one on the end of them (or when we do Daka heads it away from goal!).

Imperative we start strongly (won't happen).

We had a chance to turn The Den toxic on Tuesday but instead we allowed Millwall to grow into the game and grow in confidence. We have to learn when to go for the jugular and when to be more cautious. Against teams near the bottom, we have to go for the jugular.

Plymouth have scored 1 goal in their last 6 home matches. We should feel comfortable being quite attack minded from the start and attempt to get ahead. Take the initiative rather than playing slow, patient football that only results in the opposition fans and players taking hope from it.

It won't happen though. Maresca has admitted that his belief that is against low blocks it is best to play slow, patient football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Imperative we start strongly (won't happen).

We had a chance to turn The Den toxic on Tuesday but instead we allowed Millwall to grow into the game and grow in confidence. We have to learn when to go for the jugular and when to be more cautious. Against teams near the bottom, we have to go for the jugular.

Plymouth have scored 1 goal in their last 6 home matches. We should feel comfortable being quite attack minded from the start and attempt to get ahead. Take the initiative rather than playing slow, patient football that only results in the opposition fans and players taking hope from it.

It won't happen though. Maresca has admitted that his belief that is against low blocks it is best to play slow, patient football.

So basically when we turn up they’ll score a couple from outside the box

Argyle fan in peace!

We have had a bonkers season. 

Upto Xmas we were the 4th highest scorers In the league with fabulous attacking football.   Scoring 6 against Norwich being a highlight. 

Schumacher than left for the money at Stoke and we appointed the most miserable Southgate clone you could imagine who switched our 4-3-3 to 3-6-1-0….thus no goals or shots at home. 

A win and a draw since his departure has perked everyone up.  The chairman said the man who was interviewed and the man who became Head coach were different people!

We have the smallest budget in the league with a chairman who won’t go into debt.  We won league 1 last year with a mid table budget. 

Our aim is to stay up this year but it will be very hard.  

The fans are right behind the team who will give everything but we lack quality at this level.  

Few Argyle fans expect anything but a defeat but it would be typical Argyle to beat the league leaders at home when we haven’t scored a goal at home in ages.  (Tuesdays equaliser was an og). 

Best of luck tomorrow but I do wonder about promotions sometimes….essentially you get promoted to have a season of getting beaten every week!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sylofox said:

What pubs close to the ground can we use.

Only been down here a year and don't use that part of town.

Got a load of friends coming down staying the weekend… we are going Barbican at 4 … Wetherspoon on union street is doable failing that plenty on mutley plain 

• Like 1

Just now, trugerkem said:

Got a load of friends coming down staying the weekend… we are going Barbican at 4 … Wetherspoon on union street is doable failing that plenty on mutley plain 

Are you in the posh part of Plymouth ? I’m certainly not 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-press-conference-live-9218190

On Thursday morning, Enzo Maresca will be speaking to the media about the game at Home Park. You can follow the blog below for live updates. He is due to take his seat at 10am...

10:45JORDAN BLACKWELL

Maresca on dropped points, promotion, and end of the campaign
Q: Plenty of teams dropping points?

EM: “I watched some games this weekend and you can see all the clubs are tired because we are at the end of the season. It’s a normal situation. It’s just a matter of winning games.”

Q: How to approach final five games?

EM: “Now it’s a matter of balance if you win or lose. Hopefully we can be happy at the end of the season. In any moment, we can drop points. It doesn’t happen in football that you win all of the games. Winning 19 of 23 was not normal. It wasn’t the lack of performance, just the lack of results. The day we lost at Bristol, we could play better, but I don’t think we deserved to lose. We are happy in the place we are.”

Maresca complains of playing away on Friday after away on Tuesday
Q: Bouncing back from Millwall?

“The last month, there is no time to focus on what happened in the last game. The message is always clear. There is no time to think. Let’s focus on the next one. Thanks to the organisation, we arrived back at 3am on Wednesday. Then we have to travel today and we have 5 hours back. I don’t think the organisation cares about healthy players.”

Q: Concerned about the players?

“Plymouth, the longest trip of the season. If they don’t perform, they are bad. They are not bad, they are human beings. We have played nearly 50 games. It’s not normal to play Tuesday night away and then Friday night away. We’ll try to be ready Friday night.”

Q: Mean you have to make changes?

“We’ll see. We have a session and we’ll see how they come back. Yesterday we didn’t do too much, just recovery. We’ll do the tactics tomorrow.”

Missed chances over the past few losses a concern for Maresca?
“Do you think Jamie Vardy wanted to miss chances against Bristol City? They want to score. No player wants to miss. But it happens.”

Maresca on clean sheets after just two shut-outs in last 10 games
“We have the second best defence and we were first for most of the season. We have the second best attack. We are not concerned. We conceded the goal and the one v one against Millwall. We created six or seven clear chances. Stephy, Kel, Pat, Abdul, Yunus. Sometimes you don’t score.”

Maresca on injuries with updates on Souttar, McAteer and Cannon
Q: Any fresh injuries?

EM: “No. They are all back apart from Harry Souttar. Kasey had his first full session with us yesterday. He can be in the squad. Tom is fine. With Tom, I feel a bit how I felt like with Patson at the start of the season. I feel sad. He trains well every day. At other clubs, he would be a striker who could score goals. But we have so many strikers. He is a fantastic professional."

Q: Braybrooke back. A boost?

EM: “For sure, for him, for Will (Alves). But after long injuries, they need time to come back 100 per cent.”

23 hours ago, StanSP said:

Daka shouldn't be starting, sorry. 

You need your strikers to score. He doesn't do that. He's not reliable when you need goals to win games, let alone when you don't have many chances anyway. 

Enzo brought Daka back into the starting line-up, we won both games and stopped the rot. So the next game  (Millwall) what does he do? Removes Daka, starts Vardy, and we lose. Madness.

Daka does miss a lot but his overall contribution to our game is more effective than any other of our strikers.

21 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Enzo brought Daka back into the starting line-up, we won both games and stopped the rot. So the next game  (Millwall) what does he do? Removes Daka, starts Vardy, and we lose. Madness.

Daka does miss a lot but his overall contribution to our game is more effective than any other of our strikers.

Daka did square root of fvck all against Norwich.