Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Southampton (H) - Tue 23/04/24 - 20:00 KO

2 hours ago, ronnup said:

That expression gives me PTSD after that little tit last year 

Chant for tonight (to the tune of 'You're ****ing shit'):

It's in our hands!
It's in our hands!

It's in our hands, it's in our hands, It's in our hands....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

Lose this and it's play-offs.

What if we lose this but then win the next 2 and finish on 97, more than the maximums of Leeds and Southampton, what then? 

Can't see us winning, as in reality WBA battered us and, but for a hat-trick of Hamza clearances, we would have rightly lost.

If you want to live in the 'land of all big chances should be goals' it would have been 0-1 West Brom early in the first half; then 1-1 with the Ndidi goal; then 2-1 with the pen; double clearance incident 2-2; hitting the bar from the resulting corner (which couldn't happen anyway if the previous incident is a goal) 2-3; Mavidid cross and Vardy miss 3-3; Diangana chance 3-4; Vardy header 4-4; Wallace goal 4-5. 

So a pretty tight game. It's all about taking chances. Both sides missed a ton and we edged it. So what? 

I'd take a draw if it was offered to us tbh.

Yeah. That would be probably be fine. Obviously we want a win, but a draw isn't disastrous. 

Out of us, Leeds, Ipswich and Southampton, I'd say we're the most likely to balls it up.

Surely Southampton are in the worst position? They can pretty much only make the playoffs if they get maximum points and the rest of us remain winless? 

49 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

Can't see us winning, as in reality WBA battered us and, but for a hat-trick of Hamza clearances, we would have rightly lost.

Out of us, Leeds, Ipswich and Southampton, I'd say we're the most likely to balls it up.

Here are the stats for the Borough vs Leeds game yesterday (love the offsides stat)

image.png.e256309b9a460aa75bf65b27e60121f6.png

Did Borough not batter Leeds yesterday? 

I don't think WBA battered us - they just played well. It was about taking chances. Stats in that game were more even than the game last night.

Its about getting the job done. Each team will feel the pressure which means none of us will simply dictate games.

• Like 1

A draw isn’t a very good outcome, but it’s ok. It guarantees that we go into the Preston game in the top 2, even if Leeds and Ipswich win, which at least relieves some pressure on that match.

Lose tonight and things go against us in the other matches and we’ll be 3rd going into the Preston match and I’d have zero faith that we can deal with that pressure.

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Here are the stats for the Borough vs Leeds game yesterday (love the offsides stat)

I don't think WBA battered us - they just played well. It was about taking chances. Stats in that game were more even than the game last night.

Its about getting the job done. Each team will feel the pressure which means none of us will simply dictate games.

Not sure where those stats are from but my app has Boro with an xG of 1.13 and Leeds with 2.47. No way did Leeds register an xG as low as 1.05 last night.

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

A draw isn’t a very good outcome, but it’s ok. It guarantees that we go into the Preston game in the top 2, even if Leeds and Ipswich win, which at least relieves some pressure on that match.

Lose tonight and things go against us in the other matches and we’ll be 3rd going into the Preston match and I’d have zero faith that we can deal with that pressure.

Yeah, losing will be a bit of a blow considering it's a long wait till we play Preston with opportunities around us for others to pick up points. Piles on the pressure.

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Not sure where those stats are from but my app has Boro with an xG of 1.13 and Leeds with 2.47. No way did Leeds register an xG as low as 1.05 last night.

Agree the XG looks wrong, but the possession, shots / corners are correct.

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Chant for tonight (to the tune of 'You're ****ing shit'):

It's in our hands!
It's in our hands!

It's in our hands, it's in our hands, It's in our hands....

......what could go wrong ? :sweating:

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Extremely jealous

I was on a flight last season against West Ham on the final day, taking off just after kick off and flying over Leicester. With every metre climbed into the air I could feel the anxiety drift away. Total, utter, blissful ignorance. Highly recommend.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What if we lose this but then win the next 2 and finish on 97, more than the maximums of Leeds and Southampton, what then? 

If you want to live in the 'land of all big chances should be goals' it would have been 0-1 West Brom early in the first half; then 1-1 with the Ndidi goal; then 2-1 with the pen; double clearance incident 2-2; hitting the bar from the resulting corner (which couldn't happen anyway if the previous incident is a goal) 2-3; Mavidid cross and Vardy miss 3-3; Diangana chance 3-4; Vardy header 4-4; Wallace goal 4-5. 

So a pretty tight game. It's all about taking chances. Both sides missed a ton and we edged it. So what? 

Yeah. That would be probably be fine. Obviously we want a win, but a draw isn't disastrous. 

Surely Southampton are in the worst position? They can pretty much only make the playoffs if they get maximum points and the rest of us remain winless? 

Yeah, I'm not saying if we lose this we can't get promoted. I understand that's possible.

I'm saying that in my opinion, if we lose, I think we'll end up in the playoffs.

I'm basing this on our form since February time. It's been very poor and we've been playing badly. I just think if we lose this, it will sap any remaining confidence we have left and give more confidence to Leeds and Ipswich to go on and win their matches.

Southampton are in a worse position, that's correct. We can see that from the table. They're still going to try and win football matches though and are a good team. They won't finish in the top 2 but still have the ability to massively screw things up for us.

I'm not saying everything is going to fall apart and we're going to lose all the remaining games. I just think IF we lose tonight, I could see us dropping further points (as we have been doing regularly for months) and finish outside the top 2.

That's just my opinion. It's hardly outrageous. We've been awful for ages.

I haven't said we're going to lose tonight, just that if we did, I could see us slipping out of the top 2.

Just to be clear, I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yeah, I get that.

Playing bad is fine if you get the points.

All I'm saying is, if we lose tonight I can see us slipping up again and not finishing in the top 2.

For that reason, I'd rather not lose.

• Haha 1

If we continue to playing poorly then I fancy Southampton to get revenge tonight. Very much depends if Southampton still think they can finish top 2 I guess.

How West Brom didn't bag 4 or 5 goals on Saturday I have no idea.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

If we continue to playing poorly then I fancy Southampton to get revenge tonight. Very much depends if Southampton still think they can finish top 2 I guess.

How West Brom didn't bag 4 or 5 goals on Saturday I have no idea.

Great last ditch defending, 1 amazing save, some luck and some poor finishing by them. We also missed a penalty and a sitter...

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 3

I’ll be crossing everything possible to cross tonight so if you see the contortionist in G2 you’ll know it’s me !!😉

Seriously tho we have the ammunition to fire ourselves into winning the title 3 games to go toughest one tonight which we can win seeing the Cardiff game last weekend they took plenty of shots from outside the area and were worrying the Saints keeper which is what we need to try, then Preston and finally Blackburn winnable games so now just hoping we come out with our heads held high a fighting winning attitude for 90min plus hoping our sharp shooters hit the targets and leave the blanks in the dressing room FFS please Leicester it’s in your hands now 3 cup finals 3 games to get us back to the EPL . FNQ FEARLESS 

SO IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF DELIA SMITH “ LETS BE AVIN YOU WHERE ARE YOU WE NEED YOU !!” 😉

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

Great last ditch defending, 1 amazing save, some luck and some poor finishing by them. We also missed a penalty and a sitter...

On paper tonight's game could be 6-6, both teams are good going forwards and an absolute car crash at the back :D 

Well - we're good going forwards until it gets to the point where you have to actually get the ball into the net haha.

1 minute ago, Scanchez said:

Yeah, I get that.

Playing bad is fine if you get the points.

All I'm saying is, if we lose tonight I can see us slipping up again and not finishing in the top 2.

For that reason, I'd rather not lose.

We didn't play badly. Football is a competition. WBA were a good side you competed well and Carlos Corberán is tactically astute and setup well against us. 

1 hour ago, Scanchez said:

Completely disagree. 

At this stage of the season it’s not about performances it’s about results. You say that about us V WBA, but if it wasn’t for two bits of awful defending and VAR, Leeds would have lost that game last night 3-1…. So the argument isn’t valid. 

It’s likely to be painful as we’re scrabbling around for the points, but so too are Southampton, they will come to attack and will leave opportunities for us to exploit. 

Just get behind the team, don’t worry about what other teams are doing, we’re in a great position win tonight and it’s all but wrapped up. 

Like I said, last night is a much worse result for Ipswich that us, because it puts Leeds in the driving seat for finishing in the top two over them, likewise our win puts us in the driving seat to finish in the top two. 

If we are up for it, the lads will be…. We’ve done it before, we need to do our bit and get behind them now. Three games to go, collectively we can do this. 

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

On paper tonight's game could be 6-6, both teams are good going forwards and an absolute car crash at the back :D 

Well - we're good going forwards until it gets to the point where you have to actually get the ball into the net haha.

I mean we haven't been great at the back recently but only Leeds have conceded less than us this season.

Just now, Chelmofox said:

We didn't play badly. Football is a competition. WBA were a good side you competed well and Carlos Corberán is tactically astute and setup well against us. 

Ok, mate.

We were great against WBA. Kept them at arms length.

Lose tonight, and we'll win the league.

We rode our luck against the Baggies but did what was required, thanks  to Hamza, Vardy etc, if we start the same way against Southampton tonight, it could be a long, long night, wouldn't it be refreshing, if we were 3 nil up by Halftime, instead of it being, yet another nerve wracking match, with literally a single goal in it, either way, dont care how, let's just win!

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Completely disagree. 

At this stage of the season it’s not about performances it’s about results. You say that about us V WBA, but if it wasn’t for two bits of awful defending and VAR, Leeds would have lost that game last night 3-1…. So the argument isn’t valid. 

It’s likely to be painful as we’re scrabbling around for the points, but so too are Southampton, they will come to attack and will leave opportunities for us to exploit. 

Just get behind the team, don’t worry about what other teams are doing, we’re in a great position win tonight and it’s all but wrapped up. 

Like I said, last night is a much worse result for Ipswich that us, because it puts Leeds in the driving seat for finishing in the top two over them, likewise our win puts us in the driving seat to finish in the top two. 

If we are up for it, the lads will be…. We’ve done it before, we need to do our bit and get behind them now. Three games to go, collectively we can do this. 

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about what I said.

IF we lose tonight, I THINK we'll finish outside the top 2.

If it helps, I can say 'If we lose this tonight, I think we'll win the league'.

40 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

If we win we are lucky and didn't deserve it, if it's Leeds or Ipswich they have steamrollered them according to some on Foxestalk

• Like 2