Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopic

Work dilemma

Got a bit of a work dilemma. I've worked 1 job my whole life, I'm still there now. I recently got to (partly) join a massive project the company is undertaking. Joining this project has enabled me to move on from the same manual labour job I've done for 10 years, to an office job within the same building. It's less money but better job. 

I went to uni and got a decent degree, but always stayed in the same job as the money was very good. I've always doubted myself and just felt comfortable staying somewhere I know.

This project is to completely replace the computer systems that run the warehouses, nationwide. 20+ depots. I noticed something missing from the new system, which every single depot has complained about. I have created a tool that does exactly what is missing, which works without fault. The software company charge 100k+ for any additions that were missed on the original brief. This thing I've created turns a 30 minute (and longer) job into a 10 second job. In this industry time is money. 

When I first created it and saw that it worked I was so bloody happy. I told the local project manager, who wanted to set up a zoom meeting with a training manager of the same team, with the look to roll it out nationally. This has yet to happen. I know how this company works, and if I just show them and give them the tool, that's it. A pat on the back, a cheers mate, nothing else.

I am extremely shy by nature and avoid confrontation at all cost. But I know what this is worth to them. How do I even approach a discussion about this? For this specific task, what I have made is brilliant. The limited people I've shown are amazed. However this project is enormous. And this is a small part of that project. As I said the only people i have contact with are localised project managers that don't actually know the system that well themselves.

If I had that meeting yesterday, I would've given them it on the spot. My local part of the project ends in 2 weeks. After that, I'm back to the day job. The project moves on, potentially with my creation and i get nothing out of it.

This is the only place i've worked. Its not in my nature to kick up a fuss. But I can see the value of this to them. Now i really don't know what to do. How do I approach it. How do I talk to them about it. I struggle with awkward conversations. I'm not thinking they should pay me an enormous amount of money for it, but I want more than what I know I will get.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

39 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Got a bit of a work dilemma. I've worked 1 job my whole life, I'm still there now. I recently got to (partly) join a massive project the company is undertaking. Joining this project has enabled me to move on from the same manual labour job I've done for 10 years, to an office job within the same building. It's less money but better job. 

I went to uni and got a decent degree, but always stayed in the same job as the money was very good. I've always doubted myself and just felt comfortable staying somewhere I know.

This project is to completely replace the computer systems that run the warehouses, nationwide. 20+ depots. I noticed something missing from the new system, which every single depot has complained about. I have created a tool that does exactly what is missing, which works without fault. The software company charge 100k+ for any additions that were missed on the original brief. This thing I've created turns a 30 minute (and longer) job into a 10 second job. In this industry time is money. 

When I first created it and saw that it worked I was so bloody happy. I told the local project manager, who wanted to set up a zoom meeting with a training manager of the same team, with the look to roll it out nationally. This has yet to happen. I know how this company works, and if I just show them and give them the tool, that's it. A pat on the back, a cheers mate, nothing else.

I am extremely shy by nature and avoid confrontation at all cost. But I know what this is worth to them. How do I even approach a discussion about this? For this specific task, what I have made is brilliant. The limited people I've shown are amazed. However this project is enormous. And this is a small part of that project. As I said the only people i have contact with are localised project managers that don't actually know the system that well themselves.

If I had that meeting yesterday, I would've given them it on the spot. My local part of the project ends in 2 weeks. After that, I'm back to the day job. The project moves on, potentially with my creation and i get nothing out of it.

This is the only place i've worked. Its not in my nature to kick up a fuss. But I can see the value of this to them. Now i really don't know what to do. How do I approach it. How do I talk to them about it. I struggle with awkward conversations. I'm not thinking they should pay me an enormous amount of money for it, but I want more than what I know I will get.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Could you look into patenting? That way it becomes your property, providing there's nothing similar available and then you have control over it's use and the sales potential thereof.

• Like 3

Who's the highest ranking person you trust?

Talk to them.

Sounds like, as per normal, the "Boss" of this project will use your idea as their own and get the plaudits for it.

Show some self belief and prove what you've got else you'll be taken for  a ride.

Don't doubt what you can do, ifvtheh font give you the credit you deserve, look for somewhere else whilst your still working as I'm sure you'll benefit another company.

• Like 1

Mate being largely non confrontational myself in that sort of scenario, I'd ask to speak with someone senior ish you get on with, explain you feel a.bit awkward, and hand then a brief letter saying that you've cracked a code, can save them thousands in contractor fees and possibly hundreds of thousands in onward  operating costs and that, you'd like to be recognised financially for it....and the question at the end, are they open to that? 

• Like 1

Reminds me back in the day when a salesman in PCWorld invented Freeserve (remember that?) and took it to his bosses.

The share price quadrupled and the company made millions selling PCs with free internet access.

The salesman got a pittance bonus and a handshake from the chairman.

Do an analysis on this (This thing I've created turns a 30 minute (and longer) job into a 10 second job) and work out how much it will save the company and then name your price.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Could you look into patenting? That way it becomes your property, providing there's nothing similar available and then you have control over it's use and the sales potential thereof.

It's something I considered, however time constraints with the project, and scope (its only valid within this company), i don't believe it is an option.

53 minutes ago, Raj said:

Who's the highest ranking person you trust?

Talk to them.

Sounds like, as per normal, the "Boss" of this project will use your idea as their own and get the plaudits for it.

Show some self belief and prove what you've got else you'll be taken for  a ride.

Don't doubt what you can do, ifvtheh font give you the credit you deserve, look for somewhere else whilst your still working as I'm sure you'll benefit another company.

28 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Mate being largely non confrontational myself in that sort of scenario, I'd ask to speak with someone senior ish you get on with, explain you feel a.bit awkward, and hand then a brief letter saying that you've cracked a code, can save them thousands in contractor fees and possibly hundreds of thousands in onward  operating costs and that, you'd like to be recognised financially for it....and the question at the end, are they open to that? 

This is something I hadn't thought about. I do have a senior manager in my depot who I get on with very well. I had only considered discussing this with members of the project but now you all mention it, I could get some advice from him and perhaps support with furthering it. He would also be able to help with costs, savings etc.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

Be sure to document this with enough people through emails, meeting minutes if that's a doen thing where you work. If it's not fully rolled out you can have that in the project and be sure to mention it that way.

Then at the very least, at the end of the project make sure you have a meeting/debrief regarding the improvement you have made. 

Be sure to include as much information when you do, so the have less to try claim for themselves if that was to happen. Hopefully the place you word if good enough to acknowledge the work you have done!

Only build would be to be clear about what you want out of it and be realistic about what you can get. Yes it’ll save them a lot, realistically you’re not going to get a £100k bonus. Do you want to follow the project around and not return to your day job? Use this as a catalyst for a new role? Get a spot bonus? Be entered for a company award?

Yes you want more than a “well done” email, but think it’ll help to think what you want to get out of this.

• Like 1

Depends what it is and if it is in the scope of your job. I completed a VBA project in excel to automate an admin task that took 200 hours of work per month into a  copy, paste, click button job (2mins) 

I didn’t get anything but it was my job to do that. 

21 minutes ago, brookfox said:

Only build would be to be clear about what you want out of it and be realistic about what you can get. Yes it’ll save them a lot, realistically you’re not going to get a £100k bonus. Do you want to follow the project around and not return to your day job? Use this as a catalyst for a new role? Get a spot bonus? Be entered for a company award?

Yes you want more than a “well done” email, but think it’ll help to think what you want to get out of this.

I had the offer to join the project multiple times, but its working away from home week after week for a year, and due to personal life it's not an option for me. I'm not really sure what I want. Perhaps better job prospects within my local area. As I mentioned I went to university and got a decent technical degree, and although I say it myself, I'm a clever bloke, but have always doubted myself and held myself back and stuck to comfort and familiarity.

16 minutes ago, Otis said:

Did you create this tool during your own personal time or on company time?

I did it myself at home over a few evenings, sat in the sun with a pint. They allowed access to a training system outside the local network so I've been playing around with it, there's a few other bits I've been working on but this is most significant.

7 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Depends what it is and if it is in the scope of your job. I completed a VBA project in excel to automate an admin task that took 200 hours of work per month into a  copy, paste, click button job (2mins) 

I didn’t get anything but it was my job to do that. 

Creating this tool is absolutely nothing to do with my job or any role I have within this temporary project. I made it to make my own job easier once the depot converts systems and realised its potential afterwards.

• Like 1

Not to sound like the miserable Dickensian business owner, but if it's work related, and you developed it whilst working for them, the IP will be with the employer.

• Like 2

Figure out how much it’s worth and tell them you want 50% of that as a bonus per year, or you’ll nuke the bugger. Don’t tell anyone how it works. Employer owes you nothing and you certainly owe them nothing, take as much as you can and at no point appear happy with it 

• Like 2

Move on (but include this example for future cvs and examples for interview questions). 

Not all innovations that save time/money are adopted by existing regimes. I had a temp/contract once with a national prop services company. They had a system that took around 7 hours to run on Excel/vba, summarizing performance data by site. I showed their management team it would take just 5 minutes to run using database scripting. The regional managers were not interested - they were used to the delay in producing stats and preferred it that way as it allowed them to investigate/find excuses etc. 

Don't get upset if your change does not get rolled out nationally. You may be up against vested interests. And even if it does get adopted, don't assume you'll get a big reward. Keep working at introducing more efficient processes, then try and see if you can sell your services on the market. You're unlikely to gain huge financial rewards for one change for this employer, and as mentioned legally they will own the IP. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otis said:

Did you create this tool during your own personal time or on company time?

This is very important if you did it in company time or used company equipment then it's likely theirs and not yours.

The best you can hope for is some 'reward' from them and if they patent it get your name on it.

• Like 1

One thing you could use this for us to push for certified training in a field you’re interested in. “I think this shows I’m capable of XYZ, could I please go on this training course”. Very non confrontational and a win:win, you get something in your CV you can use in the future and the company gets a better skilled employee. I’ve found places are more likely to allocate pre-set aside training budgets more than find cash for a one off bonus.

This and use this to give yourself the self belief you can achieve more. Sounds like the main limiting factor is in your mind so believe in yourself and know your own worth 🙏🏻

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Izzy said:

I'd encourage you to have a stab at working this out yourself first to see what the potential value to the company is.

This thing I've created turns a 30 minute (and longer) job into a 10 second job

Maybe estimate how many times a day each depot does this 30 minute job. If it's say 10 times, then that's five hours labour per depot per day = 30 hours a week = 1500 hours a year per depot.

1500 x 20 depots = 30,000 hours x £15 per hour labour? = £450,000 per year (+£100k software company saving) = over half a million quid saving.

Ask for the £100k they would have paid the software company as a bonus :D

I’d double or triple that overhead cost,  but you’re spot on…. Calculate what it’s worth…. And over how many years…. Keep the idea and clearly communicate it’s value…. do ask someone what’s in it for you….  They’re not a charity, so remember that the conversation is less awkward for them!  

Some of the expectations expressed on this post are ‘ambitious’…. But if leads to a promotion or pay rise then it’s all good 👍🏼…. Any good company would recognise an outstanding piece of work… 

Someone earlier mentioned patents too…. There maybe a work process for submitting a patent?  If you’ve designed it on the work clock/ equipment then it belongs to the company generally…. I have ~30 patents with my name on them and some of them are worth £millions…. I get a bonus for everyone I submit and that’s that…!  But my job is too develop new products, so it goes with the territory…

Finally…. Well done…. Innovation and problem solving can be immensely satisfying…. We need more people like you!

Edited by Wolfox