Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Who's everyone going for in the Grand National tomorrow? 

I've gone for Our Power, Mr Incredible and Coko Beach. 

Always have 3. ! near the top of the market one middle and one outsider

Corach Rambler 

Galvin 

Fury Road 

I think but will probably change before tomorrow 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Hope they lock up any more of them vegans up who have a chip on their shoulder trying to ruin everyone else's fun. 

I'm on noble yeats and galvin.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder thanks just care and compassion

Another horse shot on the track today but its fun right .....

Edited by Hales
  • Like 3

Ain't that a shame,  noble yeats and Mr incredible to win. Roi mage and any second now each way.

I don't have a clue about horse racing but fancied a bet so took myself on a crash course with the racing post 15 minutes before hitting the pub.  Most of them will probably crash on the course lol

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

They're working animals, it's what they're bred for. Go to a meat factory or abbatior and disrupt them if you care about cruelty to animals. You'll not find better looked after animals, likely in the world, than British/Irish race horses. It's blind ignorance. 

I have thanks. Looked after while they are useful. What happens then. I think we know.... Don't accuse me of blind ignorance when you know nothing about me. I know a lot about the horse racing industry and thats why I hate it and this race in particular.  A horse died at the first jump. It was shot on the tracks. Is that ok then as long as you are entertained and make money? Don't patronise me, try having a sensible discussion....

Screenshot_20230415_184625_Twitter.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/04/2023 at 14:57, Hales said:

Hope AR stop the bloody grand national today. I hate this race

Out of interest why is it this race you hate? Or is it all racing? You also mention these fences are dangerous, do you mean just this race or do you mean all fences? 

You say you want a sensible discussion i am happy to have one with you. I have a lot of personal connections in the Horse Racing industry. My family have trained NH horses for over 60+ years so i am intrigued to understand as it seems that the National is targeted more then any other race? Why is this? 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2023 at 18:57, Hales said:

I have thanks. Looked after while they are useful. What happens then. I think we know.... Don't accuse me of blind ignorance when you know nothing about me. I know a lot about the horse racing industry and thats why I hate it and this race in particular.  A horse died at the first jump. It was shot on the tracks. Is that ok then as long as you are entertained and make money? Don't patronise me, try having a sensible discussion....

Screenshot_20230415_184625_Twitter.jpg

Whilst it’s heartbreaking these horses die. Not everyone watches horse racing just to have a bet on. For the purists, watching these glide over hurdles, fences is a thing of beauty. These animals are looked after a lot better than even some humans. Absolute love, care and attention goes into them every single day. Whether you like it or not, these horses are bred to race. I’m not having the argument of “they are forced to race”. If the horse doesn’t want to race it won’t. I’ve seen it plenty of times when a horse has refused to jump off, a horse has refused to jump a fence. 

There’s always going to be people that don’t like horse racing, or the Grand National in particular and that’s absolutely fine. But just because these people can only see it from their own point of view, it doesn’t mean others can’t and that also doesn’t instantly make it right. 

Why not go and challenge a traveller that leaves their horse tied to a tree for hours on end with little care instead? 

On 20/04/2023 at 06:52, Bert said:

Whilst it’s heartbreaking these horses die. Not everyone watches horse racing just to have a bet on. For the purists, watching these glide over hurdles, fences is a thing of beauty. These animals are looked after a lot better than even some humans. Absolute love, care and attention goes into them every single day. Whether you like it or not, these horses are bred to race. I’m not having the argument of “they are forced to race”. If the horse doesn’t want to race it won’t. I’ve seen it plenty of times when a horse has refused to jump off, a horse has refused to jump a fence. 

There’s always going to be people that don’t like horse racing, or the Grand National in particular and that’s absolutely fine. But just because these people can only see it from their own point of view, it doesn’t mean others can’t and that also doesn’t instantly make it right. 

Why not go and challenge a traveller that leaves their horse tied to a tree for hours on end with little care instead? 

I have a challenged and rescued a horse,along with a friend, from a traveller actually. We paid a lot of money for it to have a good life.  Not sure why that is relevant to a duscussion about race horsing? I spend my life rescuing and protecting animals and do know what I am talking about.  I base my opinions of course on emotions but also fact and lots of research. I don't like horse racing no - look into wind surgery, tongue ties.... The Grand national is carnage - too many horses, jumps too high...... loose horses crashing into fences and concrete blocks. A horse breaking its neck at the first jump. None of that is a thing of beauty.....

30 minutes ago, Hales said:

I have a challenged and rescued a horse,along with a friend, from a traveller actually. We paid a lot of money for it to have a good life.  Not sure why that is relevant to a duscussion about race horsing? I spend my life rescuing and protecting animals and do know what I am talking about.  I base my opinions of course on emotions but also fact and lots of research. I don't like horse racing no - look into wind surgery, tongue ties.... The Grand national is carnage - too many horses, jumps too high...... loose horses crashing into fences and concrete blocks. A horse breaking its neck at the first jump. None of that is a thing of beauty.....

Agreed a horse breaking its neck isn’t a thing of beauty. But you’ve completely brushed over my point there. 

My point regarding the travellers compared to thoroughbreds is the care the thoroughbreds receive. It’s second to none. As previously mentioned, many people are adamant these horses don’t want to race. I’ll say that they have minds of their own and if they don’t want run, they’ll simply refuse.  

The grand national fences are no longer the obstacles they once were and fatalities have reduced since. 

Also as mentioned, the people against horse racing (which they are more than entitled to be) will only ever see things from their own point of view. It’s more than just the horse racing, it’s peoples lives, people’s livelihoods. 

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Would anyone really mind if the fences were lowered, and the distance and riders reduced?  Surely this would make it much safer?

It has been a few years ago. 

• Like 1

Gone for a bit of a weird acca tonight: 

Forest or Draw 11/8 

Brentford or Draw Evens 

Man City to win, over 1 goal and Holding to get booked 11/2

30/1 on Bet365

Think Brighton will have all energy gone after Sunday unfortunately, and Forest take confidence from scoring 2 at Anfield. Brentford will be tough for Chelsea to beat, and can see a few goals and cards in Man City vs Arsenal. Holding has been booked the last 2 times he's played Man City. 

Edited by Pete52

9 hours ago, Pete52 said:

Gone for a bit of a weird acca tonight: 

Forest or Draw 11/8 

Brentford or Draw Evens 

Man City to win, over 1 goal and Holding to get booked 11/2

30/1 on Bet365

Think Brighton will have all energy gone after Sunday unfortunately, and Forest take confidence from scoring 2 at Anfield. Brentford will be tough for Chelsea to beat, and can see a few goals and cards in Man City vs Arsenal. Holding has been booked the last 2 times he's played Man City. 

Always risky going for a specific booking. 

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

Always risky going for a specific booking. 

And so it proved to be! :( I add them in sometimes just because they get the odds to shoot up. 

Oh well, I only staked a fiver, and I had a winner last night on this 12/1 acca (so not all bad!): 

Man City to win 

BTTS 

Haaland to score anytime

Both teams to get a yellow 

West Ham vs Liverpool BTTS 

Chelsea vs Brentford U3.5 

Sheff Utd vs West Brom U3.5