Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I remember years ago i read a book called I Claudius and also a follow-up, Claudius the God. Damn heavy reading if i remember correctly, I wonder if the show is based on the books? 

Yes, it's based on I Claudius novel(s) by Robert Graves. I haven't read them so no idea how faithful the show is. There's definitely a lot of talking going on (like almost all the time) so I guess it may be on the heavy side especially compared to todays shows... but it's only a dozen or so episodes and it didn't drag on at all to me. The characters were well fleshed out and the actors utterly brilliant, I especially enjoyed Sian Philips as the ever-scheming empress Livia :) Actually thinking about it made me want to rewatch it! 

4 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Oh its very raunchy, you see lots of naked people like VERY naked, doing very naughty things, in numbers!

You know how to sell a show to a guy Suzie lol I'll definietely give Spartacus a chance!

PS I just realized we have a separate tv shows thread and I wrote all this in the wrong thread... Apologies for causing the disorder !!

• Haha 1

On 19/11/2018 at 02:19, Chester Dontlie said:

Can anyone recommend a good (preferably pre-2000s) medieval/historical or medieval fantasy show?

I don't mind the old shows, black and white tv or low budget as long as long as the characters are well written. My favourite is 1980s Robin of Sherwood if it tells anything. I'm currently watching Ivanhoe 1990s BBC adaptation and it's brilliant so far but only 6 episodes :( I'd be obliged for any pointers. I said pre 2000 because I saw a season of Game of Thrones and wasn't very impressed (I liked some aspects of it but it had way too many characters to care about) but if you like some other non-GOT fantasy/historical show let me know. I'm in the process of making a list of series to watch & discuss with my merry bunch (mostly RoS fans).

It could be also set in ancient times like HBO's Rome (I enjoyed it quite a lot) or a fantasy show based on some ancient setting (if theres anything like that). Thanks

The Last Kingdom, not pre-2000 (not sure how this is a watershed point :dunno:), but hugely enjoyable adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series of books, set around the rule of Alfred the Great.

• Like 1

Just watched Leave No Trace, a story about a father and daughter living off the grid in the USA until the authorities catch up with them. Thought it was going to have a little more action and suspense (there's almost none), but it's so well acted, beautifully shot and thoughtful, it doesn't matter. Really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 19:57, sphericalfox said:

Yeah so, if you like the Coen Brothers (more O' Brother Where Art Thou than Fargo), then check out The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It's a classic Coens' movie with quirk, eccentricity and violence.

Just watched it, amazing.  That opening song too, perfect.  X

On 01/11/2018 at 15:16, Izzy Muzzett said:

Well I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was fvckin outstanding.

Rami Malik was superb as Freddie Mercury and the bloke who played Brian May was more like Brian May than Brian May.

I loved the Live Aid recreation and seeing the old Wembley brought back many memories.

What an entertainer Mercury was. We'll never see the like of him again.

Off to watch a load of old Queen footage on YouTube now :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody today.

Absolutely loved it. 

The Brian May in the film looked more Brian May than Brian May. 

Blatantly copying my film review.

Shame on you! 

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:04, urban.spaceman said:

We’re in the endgame now. 

Notice the van that Scott has, it looks like the same one from the end of Antman and the Wasp, the one with the quantum tunnel in the back and Janet Van Dyne told him during that scene to stay away from time vortex's  whilst in the quantum realm.

Edited by ithuriel