Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

50 minutes ago, Buce said:

What exactly is it, Carl?

I suppose it's actually 2 things: On the one hand it's a therapeutic tool for paedophiles seeking help and support to avoid offending. This is actually pretty wholesome and not what I'm talking about.

On the other hand it's the former being twisted into a vehicle that unrepentant paedos use to try to attach themselves to the LGBT movement claiming it's just another sexuality (instead of, yaknow, a mental condition requiring lots of aforementioned therapy) and rebranding under the cutesy acronym map (minor attracted person, from what I can gather this term was originally coined by therapists) - or alternatively nomap (non-offending map because it makes it all better that you're trying to normalise sexual attraction to children if you admit that it's an offence but you're not committing it) - and congregating in online spaces to discuss hot little kids.

In short it's something that began with good intentions but has indirectly ended up creating a space for comments like the ones screenshotted in the twitter post below:

Edited by Carl the Llama
In case you were wondering, AoA stands for "age (range) of attraction".
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I suppose it's actually 2 things: On the one hand it's a therapeutic tool for paedophiles seeking help and support to avoid offending. This is actually pretty wholesome and not what I'm talking about.

On the other hand it's the former being twisted into a vehicle that unrepentant paedos use to try to attach themselves to the LGBT movement claiming it's just another sexuality (instead of, yaknow, a mental condition requiring lots of aforementioned therapy) and rebranding under the cutesy acronym map (minor attracted person, from what I can gather this term was originally coined by therapists) - or alternatively nomap (non-offending map because it makes it all better that you're trying to normalise sexual attraction to children if you admit that it's an offence but you're not committing it) - and congregating in online spaces to discuss hot little kids.

In short it's something that began with good intentions but has indirectly ended up creating a space for comments like the ones screenshotted in the twitter post below:

This is probably a really stupid question, but how is this kind of conversation allowed on Twitter? 

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

This is probably a really stupid question, but how is this kind of conversation allowed on Twitter? 

It's not, it seems the storm broke recently when a load of tumblr accounts got deleted and they all migrated to twitter who I think have caught on and shut down a lot of the accounts (for instance the user behind that cousin comment has been suspended). I don't envy the poor bastard who has to review all the flagged map accounts and sort out which are legit therapy seekers/givers and which are defiant and malicious attempts at normalisation.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else feel like no matter how good they have it they are still a little bit fed up with it?

Recently got a promotion at work after only being in the original job a short time but feel like I’m going to get bored of it pretty quickly but 12 months ago I would have killed to be in this position.

Outside of work I’m a lucky guy but again I’m sitting here tonight a bit fed up with it all. Sorry to moan.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone else feel like no matter how good they have it they are still a little bit fed up with it?

Recently got a promotion at work after only being in the original job a short time but feel like I’m going to get bored of it pretty quickly but 12 months ago I would have killed to be in this position.

Outside of work I’m a lucky guy but again I’m sitting here tonight a bit fed up with it all. Sorry to moan.

Yeah I hear you, I’m never satisfied and always on the lookout. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I only started my job in October and I’m already fed up.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah I hear you, I’m never satisfied and always on the lookout. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I only started my job in October and I’m already fed up.

I’m not your manager am I lol.

Its taken me ages to get into a position I was even before I got this promotion yet the thought of doing this forever isn’t one I really want to think about. 

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Its taken me ages to get into a position I was even before I got this promotion yet the thought of doing this forever isn’t one I really want to think about. 

Work is shit.

This ridiculous notion that it is somehow noble is absolute bull, usually spouted from rich politicians who've never done a day's graft in their life.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

What made you actually want to have it in the first place?

I take it that it's well-paid and provides job security, but at the moment you're not really enjoy It?

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

Work is shit.

This ridiculous notion that it is somehow noble is absolute bull, usually spouted from rich politicians who've never done a day's graft in their life.

That’s what I wanted to hear lol kill me now haha.

7 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What made you actually want to have it in the first place?

I take it that it's well-paid and provides job security, but at the moment you're not really enjoy It?

The original job? It offered me a position I could work my way up in long term, meant less hours and less stress than my previous job for the same cash but my commute cut from 1 hour to 15 minuted. I have ended up in a job with as much stress as my previous job for not much of a financial reward at present.

It probably doesn’t help that I don’t feel I have earnt it and it wasn’t on my agenda to apply.

38 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

35 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I would dare to suggest that both of you may not be living 'on purpose'. In other words, not doing what you were put on the planet to do!

If it's any consolation, I reckon there's millions who feel the same. Very few people I know get true fulfillment from their work because they're not really following their passion. Seeing as we spend most of our lives at work, it seems a shame we're not doing what we truly love. If we did, I guess it wouldn't feel like 'work' at all.

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I would dare to suggest that both of you may not be living 'on purpose'. In other words, not doing what you were put on the planet to do!

If it's any consolation, I reckon there's millions who feel the same. Very few people I know get true fulfillment from their work because they're not really following their passion. Seeing as we spend most of our lives at work, it seems a shame we're not doing what we truly love. If we did, I guess it wouldn't feel like 'work' at all.

Pretty much mate but pretty sure my purpose in life is to sit in my pants watching football and nobody is going to pay me the wage am I on now for doing that. I recon even if they did I would moan about that lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Pretty much mate but pretty sure my purpose in life is to sit in my pants watching football and nobody is going to pay me the wage am I on now for doing that. I recon even if they did I would moan about that lol

lol

I know we laugh, but.....

The most fulfilled, happy, content, blessed people I know who have that calm inner peace of mind, are those whose 'purpose' is to serve others. 

They may not be very rich, but I admire them greatly.

I guess the trick is to find our purpose, do what we love doing, and still have enough to pay the bills and enjoy a decent lifestyle at the same time.

It can be done :thumbup:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

lol

I know we laugh, but.....

The most fulfilled, happy, content, blessed people I know who have that calm inner peace of mind, are those whose 'purpose' is to serve others. 

They may not be very rich, but I admire them greatly.

I guess the trick is to find our purpose, do what we love doing, and still have enough to pay the bills and enjoy a decent lifestyle at the same time.

It can be done :thumbup:

Thanks mate. I work for a business that very much focused on finding your purpose to go to work and I agree that does help but deep down if it isn’t something that is actually that rewarding it doesn’t mean much.

I guess it’s early days in my new job but I’ll see how it goes over the next few months, much of this wouldn’t be a problem if I wasn’t so bored outside of work which is another story.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate. I work for a business that very much focused on finding your purpose to go to work and I agree that does help but deep down if it isn’t something that is actually that rewarding it doesn’t mean much.

I guess it’s early days in my new job but I’ll see how it goes over the next few months, much of this wouldn’t be a problem if I wasn’t so bored outside of work which is another story.

We're definitely gonna have to meet up IRL at some stage fella :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting day researching family history in Sheffield archives on Saturday - mother & maternal grandmother both grew up there. Only slightly ruined by returning to Leicester for the Spurs match. 

Was looking at the suffragettes and WW2, in particular, as my great-grandmother was involved with the Sheffield suffragettes & my Mum/uncles were there as kids during WW2 (apart from a year evacuated to Ireland).

Found a great story about Adela Pankhurst, suffragette organiser for Sheffield who came to tea with my great-grandmother. She tried to get into a speech by the First Lord of the Admiralty, disguised as a kitchen maid, to raise questions about votes for women. After being expelled, she ended up addressing a massive crowd out in the street, then led a large mob of suffragettes and protesting unemployed workers to storm the building, fighting a 90-minute pitched battle with the police. Would like to think that my great-granny was involved in that. :D

Sobering stuff about the Sheffield Blitz (which my mother/uncles lived through as kids): one night, it was estimated that 300 German planes bombed the city for 9 hours. Over the 2 nights of the Blitz, 602 were killed, 1500+ injured & 78,000 homes damaged. A 7-storey hotel took a direct hit & was reduced to rubble in seconds leaving about 70 dead, though precise numbers impossible to calculate & only a few were identifiable. German reconnaissance said 1/4 of the city was still burning days later.

Found a good quote from Orwell (from "Road to Wigan Pier") about Sheffield:

"Even Wigan is beautiful compared to Sheffield. Sheffield, I suppose, could justly claim to be the ugliest town in the Old World: its inhabitants, who want it to be pre-eminent in everything, very likely do make that claim for it. It has a population of half a million and contains fewer decent buildings than the average East Anglian village of 500. And the stench! If at rare moments you stop smelling sulphur, it is because you have begun smelling gas. Even the shallow river that runs through the town is usually bright yellow with some chemical or other. Once, I halted in the street and counted the factory chimneys that I could see; there were 33 of them, but there would have been far more if the air had not been obscured by smoke". lol

(Written in 1937 - weird to think that my Mum & her brothers were there when Orwell visited, though very young; seems like another world).

They were Nazi planes Alf not German tsk tsk

My mother was born in Sheffield. She moved to Leicester to avoid the bombing. While at work, her lodgings in Highfields were bombed. This might have been tolerable if she had my Dad with her but he was a guest of Mr Hitler in Stalag 4B near Dresden. Bless her.

PM me if you have any Sheffield/Rotherham Myers, Goodwin or Woodhouse family names.

6 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Great day !! ...   loads of tests and scans at the hospital show that all mrs CF's new internal parts are working well !!   Can now really look forward to Christmas and our holiday early in the New Year ...    in fact I'm going to go and put my swimming trunks in the suitcase now so that I don't forget them !! ...    :)

That’s good to hear, mate. 

Where are you off to?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smudge said:

They were Nazi planes Alf not German tsk tsk

My mother was born in Sheffield. She moved to Leicester to avoid the bombing. While at work, her lodgings in Highfields were bombed. This might have been tolerable if she had my Dad with her but he was a guest of Mr Hitler in Stalag 4B near Dresden. Bless her.

PM me if you have any Sheffield/Rotherham Myers, Goodwin or Woodhouse family names.

Have I been politically incorrect, then? I certainly wasn't suggesting that all Germans were war-mongering Nazis....but the Nazis were in charge of the German nation at the time.

Would you refer to British troops taking part in WW2 or to Coalition Government troops? :whistle:

Sounds like your family has a few stories to tell....

I've no relations by the names you mention. Once knew a bloke named Myers in London and a bloke named Woodhouse, but he came from Limerick.