Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

11 hours ago, Wookie said:

People moaning about royal baby coverage, I don’t watch the news on tv so I suppose it might be overbearing there but there’s a few people that make a big spectacle of telling others how little they care about it, right. It’s got to the stage where you see more people moaning about the coverage than annoying coverage itself.

“A woman has had a baby” wasn’t funny the first time somebody said it, when hundreds more people think they’re  being funny by saying it’s even worse.

Yeah reminds of stories where 5% of people are outraged and the other 95% complain that 'everyone' is outraged. 

The overuse of superlatives in modern journalism and sensationalist headlines.

Recent examples include Mark Lawrenson saying 'the way Liverpool tore Roma apart was like no other side ever, similar to Man City at times this season' 

And 'Is Guardiola Football's Che Guevara?'  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

The overuse of superlatives in modern journalism and sensationalist headlines.

Recent examples include Mark Lawrenson saying 'the way Liverpool tore Roma apart was like no other side ever, similar to Man City at times this season' 

Not only is that a ridiculous superlative, he's also contradicted himself in the same breath.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Not only is that a ridiculous superlative, he's also contradicted himself in the same breath.

Exactly! He's such a prat, particularly when it comes to Liverpool. I'm sure I heard that he hasn't predicted a Liverpool defeat for over 2 years on his prediction league. 

It's only my fond memories of staying up late to watch Gary, him and Hansen from my childhood that prevent hatred I think. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43892039

If it was such an issue, why wasn't he ousted not long after he started the role?..

Would be unfair on him to leave after the claims are appearing now despite him doing the role since 1990.

Shame political correctness dictates things nowadays.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If it was such an issue, why wasn't he ousted not long after he started the role?..

Would be unfair on him to leave after the claims are appearing now despite him doing the role since 1990.

It angers me that just because Apu is Indian, people jump on the stereotype bandwagon and demand change, completely ignoring the fact that every single character in the Simpsons is a stereotypical character, from the fat, lazy policeman, italian mobster, fat german kid etc etc.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

It angers me that just because Apis Indian, people jump on the stereotype bandwagon and demand change, completely ignoring the fact that every single character in the Simpsons is a stereotypical character, from the fat, lazy policeman, italian mobster, fat german kid etc etc.

Good point.

Do all the voice actors now step aside so they can fill the roles with the "right" people. 

Could be a cracking job prospect for someone from the Scottish Highlands. 

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good point.

Do all the voice actors now step aside so they can fill the roles with the "right" people. 

I thought we were meant to have colour blind acting these days. So why can't a white American play an Indian?

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I thought we were meant to have colour blind acting these days. So why can't a white American play an Indian?

Don't think it works like that for white people.

37 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

It angers me that just because Apu is Indian, people jump on the stereotype bandwagon and demand change, completely ignoring the fact that every single character in the Simpsons is a stereotypical character, from the fat, lazy policeman, italian mobster, fat german kid etc etc.

I don't think many if any others apart from Apu are based on racial stereotypes though are they? I guess the idea is that racial stereotypes are worse than other types of stereotypes.

38 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good point.

I think Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons is already played by someone from the Scottish Highlands. Luckily, he's nothing like a stereotype lol

Image result for scottish character in the simpsons

37 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons is already played by someone from the Scottish Highlands. Luckily, he's nothing like a stereotype lol

Image result for scottish character in the simpsons

Nah he's voiced by the same guy who voices Homer.

49 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I don't think many if any others apart from Apu are based on racial stereotypes though are they? I guess the idea is that racial stereotypes are worse than other types of stereotypes.

The drunken Irish? The Italian pizza guy? Groundskeeper Willie? Various single depictions in random episodes when the Simpsons travel (Chinese; Australian; African; French etc)

Just now, Buce said:

The drunken Irish? The Italian pizza guy? Groundskeeper Willie? 

All ethnically white so arguably not racially charged.

Not sure about the others, i've no doubt they've portrayed other racial stereoypes but Apu is the only regular character based on one as far as I can remember (haven't watched it for years).

The Simpson's east asian stereotypes were worse.

Besides Apu is character that we're all sympathetic towards, stereotypes aren't politically correct but it doesn't mean they're always damaging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

It's a load of cock bull crap.....I do not know of any Indian offended by Apu.

It's a show and actors act those roles

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He also voices Moe and Chief Wiggum so he won't be leaving the show. I guess they'd just retire the character.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

He also voices Moe and Chief Wiggum so he won't be leaving the show. I guess they'd just retire the character.

Which would be a shame, and would end up with people moaning ethnic minorities are under represented on tv.

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

I'm willing to do Apu, and his voice, if that helps.

A most generous, helpful offer.

I foresee a new story line in which Apu campaigns for an independent Sikh Punjab, engages in sexual activity with a prominent Tory FT moderator, then vomits on his shoes after excess alcohol.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Guest MattP

People who spend ages telling you what it wrong with Leicester City, the players etc, who we should sell, who should stay - who then tell you they don't go and only listen to the games on the radio.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

People who spend ages telling you what it wrong with Leicester City, the players etc, who we should sell, who should stay - who then tell you they don't go and only listen to the games on the radio.

Even when I go,I’m sure people go to a different game to me.