Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Pretty much my response too.

Still, there are folks around that believe "gay panic" and "trans panic" are legitimate defences for killing.

Astounded that it is a viable defence in 48/50 states. Of course California is one of the two that doesn't accept that. 

Actresses referred to as actors.

Seriously, what is that about? Equality? 

Why? Because it's downgrading to be identified as a woman? Or is it because the male title is better?

When will people realise that things can be different, but not necessarily with one being better than the other?

People who constantly moan about their job.

I seem to be surrounded by them, look if you're that unhappy in your work/job - do something about it.

No-one goes to work because they want to but generally you have to, only they can change their situation, get another job, another challenge, change career to something you'd enjoy more.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 13:39, Trav Le Bleu said:

Actresses referred to as actors.

Seriously, what is that about? Equality? 

Why? Because it's downgrading to be identified as a woman? Or is it because the male title is better?

When will people realise that things can be different, but not necessarily with one being better than the other?

Sadly, that is exactly the reason why such terminology is used - because in the minds of some "different" does come with a big side order of "lesser" (that attitude has persisted all throughout history, after all) and those folks seem rather unwilling to come round to the idea you suggest, hence the need for such terminology.

I agree it's not a really good solution and if people could actually realise what you put above that would be great, but here we are.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

People who constantly moan about their job.

I seem to be surrounded by them, look if you're that unhappy in your work/job - do something about it.

No-one goes to work because they want to but generally you have to, only they can change their situation, get another job, another challenge, change career to something you'd enjoy more.

If only "doing something about it" were that easy and a dozen other problems didn't often stand in the way.

The idea that someone has total control over their own life and isn't part of something interconnected where other people do so much stuff that indirectly affects them - that every man is an island - grinds my gears, really. It's the biggest illusion every sold.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If only "doing something about it" were that easy and a dozen other problems didn't often stand in the way.

The idea that someone has total control over their own life and isn't part of something interconnected where other people do so much stuff that indirectly affects them - that every man is an island - grinds my gears, really. It's the biggest illusion every sold.

I've seen you say this so many times on here Mac.

With changing job, every man has control in preparing a good CV, researching companies, learning new skills and being confident at interview. All of that is in our control.

Of course what isn't in our control is if we get offered the job or not. The prospective employer might think we're a twat even if we do the best we can.

But at least we've tried to better ourselves and 'do something about it'. Sometimes I read your posts and think why should we bother? because it's all down to luck/someone/something else.

Are you suggesting we just surrender to 'the man' and accept we're all just plebs? I get that everything is interconnected but that doesn't mean we should accept mediocrity because larger forces are at play.  

IMHO those who are 'successful' in whatever way they define it are those who tackle the dozen or so problems that stand in their way and show the determination and resilience to better themselves.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I've seen you say this so many times on here Mac.

With changing job, every man has control in preparing a good CV, researching companies, learning new skills and being confident at interview. All of that is in our control.

Of course what isn't in our control is if we get offered the job or not. The prospective employer might think we're a twat even if we do the best we can.

But at least we've tried to better ourselves and 'do something about it'. Sometimes I read your posts and think why should we bother? because it's all down to luck/someone/something else.

Are you suggesting we just surrender to 'the man' and accept we're all just plebs? I get that everything is interconnected but that doesn't mean we should accept mediocrity because larger forces are at play.  

IMHO those who are 'successful' in whatever way they define it are those who tackle the dozen or so problems that stand in their way and show the determination and resilience to better themselves.

I know, and I'm sorry for repeating it: perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical about the whole thing. But it just frustrates me seeing people buy into what I believe to be a lie over and over again.

It's totally possible for people to have a bearing on the way their working (and other parts of) life bear out and that resilience in the face of adversity can get you where you need to go sometimes, otherwise - like you said - what would be the point? I just take issue with the ideal such things are always within our control, and that by making the right decisions will result in success all the time. If that were the case, things would be...well, different.

Asserting yourself boosts the odds of success (probably), but it doesn't guarantee it - and I'd rather people be honest about that.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I know, and I'm sorry for repeating it: perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical about the whole thing. But it just frustrates me seeing people buy into what I believe to be a lie over and over again.

It's totally possible for people to have a bearing on the way their working (and other parts of) life bear out and that resilience in the face of adversity can get you where you need to go sometimes, otherwise - like you said - what would be the point? I just take issue with the ideal such things are always within our control, and that by making the right decisions will result in success all the time. If that were the case, things would be...well, different.

Asserting yourself boosts the odds of success (probably), but it doesn't guarantee it - and I'd rather people be honest about that.

That's cool Mac, I think we're broadly in agreement actually :thumbup:

• Like 1

People who risk their and other's lives, just to show off to others.

Don't know what annoys me more on this photo - the adult letting a child sit right on the edge of the area or the person behind them taking a photo of such an act.

_101172595_cliffedgeblurredandcropped.jp

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Tories OUT !!! 

43 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

For all the people who have been saying over the past few weeks, "well, that's it, we've had summer," and thereby grinding my gears...

th?id=OIP.1R89OSYiYQF1Ez1l3V3TygHaJu&pid

I'd extend that to every overused, banal and inane joke that the person saying it thinks they're coming out with gold

The realisation that your wife is starting to look more and more like your mother in law and less and less like the woman you married...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The realisation that your wife is starting to look more and more like your mother in law and less and less like the woman you married...

That's grounds for divorce, mate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Count yourself lucky, Izzy. My ex started to look more and more like my father-in-law...and he's been dead for 20+ years.

:ph34r:

To be even-handed about it, though, I've started to look more and more like Fred Flintstone's Dad, so things were never looking good on any front.... 

• Haha 3