Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

4 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

And now all of a sudden he's offended, 28 years after Apu first appeared on the program...

It's 2018 everyone is offended. My 28 year old (incredibly sheltered) sister received a notebook saying 'feminist' on the front Christmas day. I literally made one small joke and she went ****ing mental. She was shaking with anger.

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It's 2018 everyone is offended. My 28 year old (incredibly sheltered) sister received a notebook saying 'feminist' on the front Christmas day. I literally made one small joke and she went ****ing mental. She was shaking with anger.

What's next, the travelling community kicking off because Papa Lazarou from The League Of Gentlemen isn't an accurate representation of travelling life

15 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

i cant be the only one wants to know what you said

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

i cant be the only one wants to know what you said

I think something harmless about the next gift being pink hair dye, we grew up always giving each other grief. These days everything offends her. Last year she didn't speak to our Dad for 2 days while she was back from med school because he called a woman on TV fat.

I work in the NHS too and you get a really dark sense of humour as a coping mechanism. What is she going to do once she's a doctor and someone says something that 'offends' her? Shout at them and go cry in the toilet? She'll probably get people sacked because it's 2018.

Edited by z-layrex

I'm surprised it has taken this long for Apu's character to be questioned tbh. I put it down to there being a relatively small number of South Asian immigrants in the US and therefore some remaining mainstream xenophobia.

That's not to say I'm offended by Apu - I think jokes based on racial stereotypes are always a bit shit and make the person telling them look dim-witted, but they're not inherently offensive. I'm just surprised that in this racially sensitive age it has taken so long for anyone to bring the subject up.

Edited by Rogstanley

7 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

...   in the UK, most East Asians  probably eat dogs and are a ladyboy ..

Cheers Rog ..   that would explain why the family that moved in down the street from me all leave the house in high heels and short skirts ..  and there’s a big heap of leads and collars on their front lawn ...    :thumbup:

35 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I think something harmless about the next gift being pink hair dye, we grew up always giving each other grief. These days everything offends her. Last year she didn't speak to our Dad for 2 days while she was back from med school because he called a woman on TV fat.

I work in the NHS too and you get a really dark sense of humour as a coping mechanism. What is she going to do once she's a doctor and someone says something that 'offends' her? Shout at them and go cry in the toilet? She'll probably get people sacked because it's 2018.

shit like this is why i don't speak to my birth family

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

shit like this is why i don't speak to my birth family

I love and respect her a lot, I just liked our old relationship where we were always winding each other up but actually got on really well. Could always talk to her about anything.

Now any joke I say just seems to offend and upset her. Maybe I'm just a cu**!

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

I love and respect her a lot, I just liked our old relationship where we were always winding each other up but actually got on really well. Could always talk to her about anything.

comedy is comedy, if people get offended thats their problem. not yours

On 05/04/2018 at 23:41, Jattdogg said:

Only those 7 are paying the wages though. So they are not allowed to lol

And that record from about 15 years back. “And ya had a bad day”

never hear that that until I put gem 106 on. Worst station ever

• Like 1

When you buy a train ticket (online or in advance), get to the station and the barriers are already open. Get on the train and there's no inspector checking your tickets. Get to the destination and the barriers are open that end as well. Waste of money. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

When you buy a train ticket (online or in advance), get to the station and the barriers are already open. Get on the train and there's no inspector checking your tickets. Get to the destination and the barriers are open that end as well. Waste of money. 

Yes, the undertones that fare dodgers are the ones costing the industry vital funds to run more trains and vital maintenance to the network are 100% destroyed by the sheer amount of open barriers there seem to be around.

In the last few weeks I've been to and from Nottingham and have come back from Birmingham on the train with not one inspector and barriers open. I come away feeling like a right mug.

Thing with the Simpsons is that almost every character is an offensive stereotype. 

Working class people, wealthy people, white people, women, police officers, Australians, Italians, the British, Native Americans, Christians, in fact basically every nation going. 

None of it is done overtly offensively and nobody is either singled out or in fact excluded. 

Of course Apu is based on a bunch of ridiculous stereotypes but so are Homer, Mo, Flanders, etc. What's the difference? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Thing with the Simpsons is that almost every character is an offensive stereotype. 

Working class people, wealthy people, white people, women, police officers, Australians, Italians, the British, Native Americans, Christians, in fact basically every nation going. 

None of it is done overtly offensively and nobody is either singled out or in fact excluded. 

Of course Apu is based on a bunch of ridiculous stereotypes but so are Homer, Mo, Flanders, etc. What's the difference? 

Because he's brown. Yellow privilege and all that. 

• Like 3

Im not too bothered by the simpsons thing. But growing up in the early 90s (preteen/teen years) being bart or homer was more cooler than apu. Kids would toss the p@ki word at me and all that with an apu  voice.  When your the only brown kid and racist jokes based on apu are thrown at you its a bit different of a lens to look at. (This is in canada btw). 

Ultimately all the characters are sterotypes so to single out one is a bit extreme. I think its pretty common though for people to laugh more at an indian accent and run with it then say homer or moes characters.

much ado about nothing, all this stuff about Apu. The fact it's been running for 25+ (?) years and it's only taken up to now for someone to take note kind of proves that.

I literally couldn't care that they portray Apu as a shop owner with a thick Indian accent. Quite clear it's only a cartoon and as @Finnegan said, there's plenty of other stereotypes they follow as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy who first caused this uproar is only doing it because everyone seems to be offended by everything these days and he wants his 15 minutes of fame and join the bandwagon now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

much ado about nothing, all this stuff about Apu. The fact it's been running for 25+ (?) years and it's only taken up to now for someone to take note kind of proves that.

I literally couldn't care that they portray Apu as a shop owner with a thick Indian accent. Quite clear it's only a cartoon and as @Finnegan said, there's plenty of other stereotypes they follow as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy who first caused this uproar is only doing it because everyone seems to be offended by everything these days and he wants his 15 minutes of fame and join the bandwagon now.

Thanks for your contribution, Stan.

Come again... :D

• Haha 2

On 9/4/2018 at 20:18, z-layrex said:

Have you noticed if this only happens at certain times of the month........

On 09/04/2018 at 16:42, MrSpaM said:

And now all of a sudden he's offended, 28 years after Apu first appeared on the program...

Its a clear (and sadly succesful) attempt for this guy to get some desperate publicity rather than challenging the serious issues surrounding racism. But that wouldnt get as many retweets would it?