Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Harvey Weinstein pretending to be disabled or sick or whatever the **** he's trying to do. 

Jesus Christ can you be any more shameful. 

Ironically deserves an Oscar for it.

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Harvey Weinstein pretending to be disabled or sick or whatever the **** he's trying to do. 

Jesus Christ can you be any more shameful. 

Inevitably, my thoughts turned to poor old Ernest Saunders, the Guinness bod who was jailed on major fraud charges in 1990......and released early in 1991 as he was "suffering from premature senile dementia".

A few years later he was heading a consortium seeking to take over QPR.

Seems that, almost 30 years later he's still going strong, aged 84, and hasn't done too badly according to Wiki:

"Since apparently recovering from Alzheimer's, Saunders has worked as a business consultant, including advising mobile phone retailer Carphone Warehouse from its early days until prior to its flotation.The Carphone Warehouse CEO said: "We were young guys who didn’t know what we were doing. He made us think about the questions we ought to ask or the information we ought to look at." He was later appointed chairman of the executive committee of a US-based multinational petrol credit-card company, Harpur-Gelco. Saunders also acted as a consultant to Seed International Ltd, a company based in the Cayman Islands. Seed offered investments in a variety of fields including wine, property, oil and gas exploration through Ocean International Marketing, their sales subsidiary with offices in Rotterdam".

Shameful or shameless, some seem to get away with it.......can't seriously imagine that Weinstein's chances are high, though. But then, Savile....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Margaret Court.

The Aussies should have taken the hint and not named a tennis stadium after her when she said that apartheid was a fantastic idea.

She does have the perfect name for naming that particular playing field after though :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Margaret Court.

The Aussies should have taken the hint and not named a tennis stadium after her when she said that apartheid was a fantastic idea.

She won eleven Australian Open singles titles. Along with Warne and Thorpe arguably the greatest sportsperson the nation has produced, they were never getting away with not naming court after her at the national tennis complex.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

She won eleven Australian Open singles titles. Along with Warne and Thorpe arguably the greatest sportsperson the nation has produced, they were never getting away with not naming court after her at the national tennis complex.

Don Bradman might have a little to say about greatest Aussie sportspeople...:D

(And he was one of the first leading white people to speak out against apartheid too. Perhaps Ms Court could have taken a leaf out of his book there.)

In any case, they named it after her then, they don't have to keep it that way now.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Don Bradman might have a little to say about greatest Aussie sportspeople...:D

(And he was one of the first leading white people to speak out against apartheid too. Perhaps Ms Court could have taken a leaf out of his book there.)

In any case, they named it after her then, they don't have to keep it that way now.

Apologies to the Don lol

Seriously though can you really rename sports arenas just because you dont like the views of who it is named after? Who gets to be judge and jury on that?

Are you cool with Opera houses and festivals being named after Wagner or should that go as well given his antisemitism?

I think separating art from the artist is the way to go here. You will make it a bit ridiculous if you start naming things after inferior athletes just because they agree with your political views.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Apologies to the Don lol

Seriously though can you really rename sports arenas just because you dont like the views of who it is named after? Who gets to be judge and jury on that?

Are you cool with Opera houses and festivals being named after Wagner or should that go as well given his antisemitism?

I think separating art from the artist is the way to go here. You will make it a bit ridiculous if you start naming things after inferior athletes just because they agree with your political views.

I was actually going to talk about separating art from artist in the last post, but left it out. It is certainly something of a thorny path to go down, I guess it comes down to how much one thinks extolling the achievements of an artist in various ways has in terms of their overall cultural influence, of much.

Sport certainly has a big cultural influence in Australia and as such the viewpoints of sportspeople are often pretty well respected from what I can tell, even when they're not talking about sport.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I was actually going to talk about separating art from artist in the last post, but left it out. It is certainly something of a thorny path to go down, I guess it comes down to how much one thinks extolling the achievements of an artist in various ways has in terms of their overall cultural influence, of much.

Sport certainly has a big cultural influence in Australia and as such the viewpoints of sportspeople are often pretty well respected from what I can tell, even when they're not talking about sport.

Don't get me wrong, if someone commits a serious crime I have no problem with them losing something like that.

But changing the name of something achieved on merit for something they think? Not for me, too fascist.

2 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

As a Liberal I feel it's down to society and the organisation to make those decisions. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer only that it's not a matter for government to interfere over (certainly not directly).  

I'm broadly in agreement with this, you'll generally know if something really needs to be changed as outrage will come from all sections of society.

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

As a Liberal I feel it's down to society and the organisation to make those decisions. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer only that it's not a matter for government to interfere over (certainly not directly).  

What? Since when?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I'll happily listen to Michael Jackson's music. And he was a wrong un. 

I'm perfectly happy separating the individual from their work. 

Fortunate then that you don't strike me as the sort of person that would have listened to Lost Prophets. 

• Haha 1

the pec cable on my home gym just snapped.. first the lovely Mrs Oz rushed in assuming ive had a heart attack (apparently i am that old). .. second trying to buy a pec cable seems near on impossible,

There are about a bazillion home gyms being given away or  going for ten bucks... but try to find just a cable grrrrr

People and their weird lunch choices at work. Someone just had a ham sandwich with BBQ sauce and coleslaw.... I just don't get it. 

Edit:
Thinking about it, it isn't too far off a pulled pork sandwich I guess, but yeah, I'm gonna stick to my point, they're a weirdo. 

Edited by E.Rose

Was on the tills at work yesterday and some guy was buying some gaffer tape, rope, cable ties and scissors. All I did was jokingly ask him what it was for and he gave me the dirtiest and rudest look! As if he was planning to use it on me! 

Edited by StanSP
  • Haha 2