Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Yeah that stuff about office football chat is absolute bull. 

I have better conversations sometimes with women than I do men but even then that's not the point. Let people talk about what they want ffs as long as the work gets done. 

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

This shite. FFS :rolleyes:

Firms urged to crack down on office football chat

Chat about football or cricket in the workplace should be curtailed, a management body has warned.

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

"But the issue is many people aren't cricket fans," she added, arguing bosses should crack down on sports banter.

Ms Francke is concerned that discussing football and, for example, the merits of video assistant refereeing (VAR) can disproportionately exclude women and divide offices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51261999

Pipe down love.

2 hours ago, Arkie Bennett said:

When people use 'cringe' as an adjective.

Do you find that a bit cringe? :ph34r:

I'm with you. An accepted adjective already exists....."cringeworthy".

We should all avoid the cringeworthy use of "cringe" as an adjective.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

On the same subject, people who say 'text' instead of 'texted' when speaking in the past tense. 

There's loads more. 'His' instead of 'he's' is particularly baffling. 

The past tense of text is texted or text.

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-past-tense-of/text.html

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Is that an authority or a website claiming authority? 

i dont know to be sure, but i felt that textwas acceptable so i googled it and presented the first thing that came up because it agreed with me lol 

Edited by Beliall
  • Haha 2

On 27/01/2020 at 14:46, Line-X said:

She was on Radio 4 talking complete bollocks this morning. I'll wager that as much time is spent in the workplace discussing reality TV and bake offs. I know **** all about this so I just ignore it. I don't regard it as in the slightest bit alienating or non-inclusive, it simply has no bearing or relevance to my life in the slightest. 

Saying that, I think we could all do without the obligatory Monday Morning weekend VAR summary. 

NO wonder there are problems in the work place....Its men & Women ,like her that troubleshoot themselves into a position,where Motivation ,creation and ambition

Just improved in the work place....I have Worked in all enviroments...fought for better pay for women, some Low payed employees,and Middle- management,

Unseen travel & Work being recognised,in renumeration & free time...

But Listening to this womans's BS...embarrases me for the younger generation ,and gives me Thanks that I am Now out of the Mad-house called work-place..!!

Retirement ist so...Schhhhhhooooooon    :trumpet:

BBC and Sky missing parts of the game due to showing multiple replays. Move with the times please- the game is far quicker than it used to be, teams are taking goal kicks quickly, we can hear the crowd noise grow yet are watching the fourth showing of a fairly mundane shot or save.

One replay, then back to the action.

• Like 3

The question of the past tense of 'to text' makes one think about other nouns that have also become verbs in recent times. One example which annoys me is the football-speak phrase 'to gift them a goal'. What's wrong with 'to give them a goal'? Then there are the verbs that have become nouns, e.g. 'to spend', which has resulted in annoying phrases such as 'minimum spend'. By muddling up the distinction between nouns and verbs in this manner, it means that, grammatically, the two following phrases aren't incorrect:-

To gift a gift...

To spend a spend...

12 hours ago, Corky said:

BBC and Sky missing parts of the game due to showing multiple replays. Move with the times please- the game is far quicker than it used to be, teams are taking goal kicks quickly, we can hear the crowd noise grow yet are watching the fourth showing of a fairly mundane shot or save.

One replay, then back to the action.

Don't mind them showing replays, but they definitely need to get better at balancing showing the actual game.

Don't see why they can't do a split-screen type thing with the actual game on one side or in one corner and the replay in the rest (and quickly shift to the live feed if something is about to happen). Similar to how they sometimes show goal-flashes (or whatever they're called) from other games

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Is that an authority or a website claiming authority? 

Do we have an authority? We’re not French, ffs. 

Honestly, I love the way that our language evolves. I have never understood why grammar is so important and why people get upset with perceived poor grammar or made up words - it’ll all be different in a generation or so anyway, so why fret? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Milo said:

Do we have an authority? We’re not French, ffs. 

Honestly, I love the way that our language evolves. I have never understood why grammar is so important and why people get upset with perceived poor grammar or made up words - it’ll all be different in a generation or so anyway, so why fret? 

I thought the idea of this section was to express ourselves, rather than tell others off and introduce absurd comments about the French. 

Yes language evolves, but I don't find much to celebrate in (forgive the word) ignorance of language, because that's fundamental to how we communicate. If that breaks down, so does good communication. 

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

The question of the past tense of 'to text' makes one think about other nouns that have also become verbs in recent times. One example which annoys me is the football-speak phrase 'to gift them a goal'. What's wrong with 'to give them a goal'? Then there are the verbs that have become nouns, e.g. 'to spend', which has resulted in annoying phrases such as 'minimum spend'. By muddling up the distinction between nouns and verbs in this manner, it means that, grammatically, the two following phrases aren't incorrect:-

To gift a gift...

To spend a spend...

I guess you don't "phone" or "email" anyone then?

On a similar subject, this might of interest to anyone wanting to discuss linguistics...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo