Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Using upper case words to emphasise in headlines or content titles. Dickheads.

The headline writers at the Mail or Express, or the YouTube content managers at Sky Sports.

"HEATED argument", "Neville's EXTREME views".

What a bunch of CVNTS.

• Like 3

What grinds my gears is the rule about when to use capital letters, specifically in relation to astronomy. Apart from the sun and the moon, every other bright star and all the other moons in the solar system have proper names and therefore start with a capital letter. Bizarrely, it seems that our star and our satellite don't have proper names i.e. single words not preceded by 'the'. Another area of confusion is the seasons. Why don't they start with capital letters, when the months do? Again, they can all be preceded by 'the', so they too must lack proper names, unless I'm mistaken.   

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TRAD-DAD said:

The current trend of anyone answering a question with the prefix  " so".    What does that mean? Why would you say " so" before giving an answer? Bloody sheep.:dunno:

Worse still beginning a speech with it!

It comes from "science speek", as a preface to an explanation e.g "so, because the product is 42, the result must be infinity"  annoying, annoying, annoying!

• Like 1

My present grinder is people paid to use the English language (mostly football "experts" admittedly) who say"he's CAME on the pitch", he came on the pitch--fine, he came on the pitch 5 minutes ago - perfect, but use bloody "come" when it's correct!! 😠 Oooh I'm cross now!

The other is "one of the only" e.g " he's one of the only people to climb this mountain" only implies a singularity, i.e

" he is the only man to complete this run" - singular, correctly I believe it should be " one of the few".... I blame the Americans for this, but then I blame them for most things!

On 17/01/2020 at 16:51, MattP said:

Apologies to the Don lol

Seriously though can you really rename sports arenas just because you dont like the views of who it is named after? Who gets to be judge and jury on that?

Are you cool with Opera houses and festivals being named after Wagner or should that go as well given his antisemitism?

I think separating art from the artist is the way to go here. You will make it a bit ridiculous if you start naming things after inferior athletes just because they agree with your political views.

Spot on, people are not their talents, would you pass up the chance to watch Pele in his pomp cos he wasn't nice to kittens or Mozart cos he wasn't a feminist? Adm Lord Nelson would hardly be flavour of the month at British and American universities but in his day was the pinnacle of heroism and brilliance, key is "in his day", - the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

This shite. FFS :rolleyes:

Firms urged to crack down on office football chat

Chat about football or cricket in the workplace should be curtailed, a management body has warned.

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

"But the issue is many people aren't cricket fans," she added, arguing bosses should crack down on sports banter.

Ms Francke is concerned that discussing football and, for example, the merits of video assistant refereeing (VAR) can disproportionately exclude women and divide offices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51261999

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This shite. FFS :rolleyes:

Firms urged to crack down on office football chat

Chat about football or cricket in the workplace should be curtailed, a management body has warned.

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

"But the issue is many people aren't cricket fans," she added, arguing bosses should crack down on sports banter.

Ms Francke is concerned that discussing football and, for example, the merits of video assistant refereeing (VAR) can disproportionately exclude women and divide offices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51261999

She was on Radio 4 talking complete bollocks this morning. I'll wager that as much time is spent in the workplace discussing reality TV and bake offs. I know **** all about this so I just ignore it. I don't regard it as in the slightest bit alienating or non-inclusive, it simply has no bearing or relevance to my life in the slightest. 

Saying that, I think we could all do without the obligatory Monday Morning weekend VAR summary. 

• Like 2

Reminds me of a female boss I worked with a few years ago.

Any football or cricket chat at all and she would get up to deliberately walk around into the middle and stop it by announcing a problem or query - so ridiculous at times she hadn't thought it through and instead of being work related it got to trivial things, once interrupting to ask us our thoughts on where the Christmas party should be around March.

I can't remember a single time where the conversation went from a Mark De Vries goal to sexual conquests.