Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

5 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

People who have their breakfast at work.

It's usually microwave porridge which seems to consist of 50% oat powder and 50% dried syrup. Add milk or water, stick in the oven and the whole place then smells sickly sweet. :thumbdown: 

Get up 10 minutes earlier you morons and eat the slop at home.

Lol

I can't eat in the morning when i first wake up, i usually need to be awake for about 1.5 hours before i can eat...i force myself at times but the above was always me except with weetabix, berries and milk.

Edited by Jattdogg

On 05/01/2020 at 16:06, Izzy said:

I'm starting to think that's the way forward tbh.

Our Gym was previously a DW and then closed for a few months to be re-fitted as PureGym. It only opened again 3 weeks ago all brand new but the showers are already gross with piss stains and pubes blocking the plug holes  :angry:

Few years back I went to a gym on Welford road and then the sinks started being blocked up with thick green stuff and you could hear when someone hacked up another lump into their mouth to deposit in the same place ....    used to make me feel quite ill and still does now thinking about it ....   :cry:

• Sad 2

On 05/01/2020 at 23:10, deejdeej said:

It's the 'pray for Australia' posts I can't stand, Nah praying ain't gonna help but donating might.

I get what you mean about shaming though, I feel the same every time I see filthy rich celebs on Comic Relief.

That's whats got us to this point. hiding behind god has allowed pollies to ignore reality

5 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

It's usually microwave porridge which seems to consist of 50% oat powder and 50% dried syrup. Add milk or water, stick in the oven and the whole place then smells sickly sweet. :thumbdown: 

I like the smell of porridge, but if I was an employer I would bin off all the bellends that turn up to work (not early), make a cup of tea and eat their breakfast. You've just got in, and now you're having a half hour break? Get to fvck

I work with this woman who eats all bloody day, literally always munching on something. As such she works at about 10% of the speed of everyone else.

23 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I always eat my breakfast at work, simply because I don't get hungry until about half 9 at the earliest. Getting up at an earlier time makes absolutely no difference. I'm not convinced that this makes me a moron...

Football journalists. Is it a competition to ask the same question on repeat? 

"Nigel Pearson, you're linked with x player, are you interested?"

"I don't talk about players at other clubs and speculation".

"Ok, but what about this player at y club?"

Pearson, struggling to hide his annoyance- "I've just said, we don't talk about other players until they've joined"

"Oh, go on Nige, give us something, pwease".

Rodgers has had it with Maddison too recently.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Pearson, struggling to hide his annoyance- "I've just said, we don't talk about other players until they've joined"

Its the leading questions I cant stand in a lazy, misleading way to get a headline.

Reporter: 'Roger Federer its amazing to play at Hull Open isnt it?'

Following his polite reply saying 'Yes' as he cant really say it means fvck all....

Headline: 'Hull Open is amazing - Roger Federer'

Edited by Nalis
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I always eat my breakfast at work, simply because I don't get hungry until about half 9 at the earliest. Getting up at an earlier time makes absolutely no difference. I'm not convinced that this makes me a moron...

Same I always feel sick when I wake up and need to leave it an hour or so, or go hungry. And I will definitely work slower if I’m hungry

2 hours ago, Corky said:

This is so so infuriating, i don’t remember it ever being as bad as sky in this january window. It’s disrespectful to ignore what someone says and ask the same question again too

On 12/01/2020 at 14:41, Crinklyfox said:

Wind chimes.  You know those things that make a tinkling noise when the breeze gently sends them into contact with each other.  Except that one of our neighbours has the worlds largest wind chimes and when it's winter and half a gale is blowing those things sound like a demented version of Tubular Bells which can be annoying around midnight.   I'm assured that they're meant to be relaxing but I'm tempted to show just how relaxing I find Easy Living by Uriah Heep at 120dB at midnight.  But we also have some considerate neighbours so I don't.  But the wind chimes are just noise pollution.

One of my old neighbours had one that was loud and annoying.  For some unknown reason though it would often fall down or snap :ph34r:   

• Haha 2

This bollocks photo of Mane walking about carrying his battered iPhone.

1. The quote has absolutely no correlation to the photo, talking about him owning a Ferrari. He still drives a Bentley. 2. Battered or not, it’s still a £500+ phone in his hand. 3. In the same photo he’s carrying a grand plus limited edition Louis V wash bag. The true symbol of I’m too rich to know what to do with my money. 

He’s a very charitable bloke and I truly respect him for that - the photo clearly isn’t his fault but whoever made it probably eats their chicken medium rare. 

Edited by Manini

On 07/01/2020 at 18:55, String fellow said:

What grinds my gears is Victoria Coren trying to be comedienne at the end of every Only Connect. More time for the missing vowels round and less time for her feeble jokes would be appreciated. Btw, the contestants on that show make most of the contestants on University Challenge look like complete idiots. One of the exceptions was Ted Loveday, with his wonderful 'hapax legomenon' moment on UC a few years ago. Perhaps he was an example of a student more interested in lucubration than lubrication! 

Really? I mean, the odd one, sure, but by-and-large Only Connect is far more accessible I think. I binge-watched a few of the older series on youtube last week whilst I had the flu and its often not particularly hard to outscore the teams, whereas getting a single question in University Challenge is often cause for celebration...

The intros/outtros aren't the pinnacle of comedic entertainment, sure, but I think they fit pretty well with the theme and style of the show.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Really? I mean, the odd one, sure, but by-and-large Only Connect is far more accessible I think. I binge-watched a few of the older series on youtube last week whilst I had the flu and its often not particularly hard to outscore the teams, whereas getting a single question in University Challenge is often cause for celebration...

The intros/outtros aren't the pinnacle of comedic entertainment, sure, but I think they fit pretty well with the theme and style of the show.

I got a 3/3 on the art bonuses over Christmas on University Challenge, I almost cracked open the champagne.

Pure luck as it was Canaletto (I'd really enjoyed his paintings in the national gallery in the summer) Caravaggio who I knew often did similar on canal/water pieces and then a total guess on Constable as it looked quite bucolic/British - I still absolutely lapped it up though and felt outrageously smug.

I love OC as well but find it weird, missing vowels comes to me easy but I'm capable of missing the most obvious connections.

2 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

A woman fighting on the tram yesterday, holding a baby.

I stayed at a pub in Chesterfield a couple of years ago for work. Arrived on the Sunday afternoon and went for a drink. It all kicked off with this woman scrapping. She got thrown out and arrested and then her kids - one a baby and the other a toddler had to be looked after by the bar staff until social services arrived. Classy!

Edited by stripeyfox

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Paul Scholes reputation has increased tenfold since he retired because of some made up quotes from Zidane or Xavi and a bullshit story about him hitting a tree from 200 yards away.

That’s a bit harsh.

Anyway, it was Iniesta that said Scholes was the best player he’d played against and he hit the back of a gobby youth team players head from 200 yards away, not a tree :thumbup:

Edited by Izzy
That bloody pedant Alf Bently!

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

I got a 3/3 on the art bonuses over Christmas on University Challenge, I almost cracked open the champagne.

Pure luck as it was Canaletto (I'd really enjoyed his paintings in the national gallery in the summer) Caravaggio who I knew often did similar on canal/water pieces and then a total guess on Constable as it looked quite bucolic/British - I still absolutely lapped it up though and felt outrageously smug.

I love OC as well but find it weird, missing vowels comes to me easy but I'm capable of missing the most obvious connections.

As you well should! I used to watch it with my flatmates - 5 chemists - at uni, with me the lone mathematician in the house. Felt so smug whenever that one question I could answer (but they couldn't) would appear... 10 points from an entire episode is a pretty good return, right?! :ph34r: 

The missing vowels is definitely easiest of the lot, but I've found that I'm quite good at the sequences, and especially when they're more logical/puzzly rather than trivia and pop culture. I basically stop paying attention for the music question each time as I never have a chance...

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That’s a bit harsh.

Anyway, it was Iniesta that said Scholes was the best player he’d played against and he hit the back of a gobby youth team players head from 200 years away, not a tree :thumbup:

That's impressive. I didn't think anyone other than Dr. Who could manage that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

That’s a bit harsh.

Anyway, it was Iniesta that said Scholes was the best player he’d played against and he hit the back of a gobby youth team players head from 200 yards away, not a tree :thumbup:

See this is how you know it’s bollocks because I’ve heard the same story but it’s the tree Gary Neville was having a piss against from 200 yards away. 

I really hope I start something here...

5 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It's unbelievable how many people take these fake bullshit quotes as gospel. 

Paul Scholes reputation has increased tenfold since he retired because of some made up quotes from Zidane or Xavi and a bullshit story about him hitting a tree from 200 yards away.

Pretty much the entirety of a generation of La Masia graduates, including Xavi and Iniesta, grew up citing Paul Scholes as an influence tbf. 

It's not made up quotes. 

A70elM7CcAAFHk_.jpg

Iniesta even named his son after him. 

Like, feel free to dislike the guy, you're allowed your opinion fair play but Scholes was very highly regarded by fellow professionals across Europe. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Manini said:

See this is how you know it’s bollocks because I’ve heard the same story but it’s the tree Gary Neville was having a piss against from 200 yards away. 

I really hope I start something here...

lol

O.K, lets put this to bed once and for all. Here's a compilation of genuine quotes from the best players in the world past and present.

And the 200 yard pass thing came from this PaddyPower ad I think. Not quite 200 yards but still pretty impressive.

Edit: just seen Finners post something similar as I was busy copying and pasting :D

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2241331.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/xavi-retires-former-spain-midfielder-has-one-small-regret-never-playing-with-manchester-united-9651956.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8548999/Paul-Scholes-what-the-games-greats-have-said-about-him.html

I absolutely 100% don't doubt there's a lot of made up quotes, urban myths, misquotes, fuzzy memories and bullshit claims churning up all sorts of nostalgia and revisionism in football. Agree with that definitely. 

But the claim that Scholes was universally regarded as one of the best of his generation by his peers is indisputable. 

• Like 3