Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I don't think what most people generally want to hear are sound bites, so much as the constant news cycle and the proliferation of partisan "news sites" of questionable integrity have eroded our capacity for taking in information in the news and for many have become a source of weariness.

11 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I don't think what most people generally want to hear are sound bites, so much as the constant news cycle and the proliferation of partisan "news sites" of questionable integrity have eroded our capacity for taking in information in the news and for many have become a source of weariness.

It is something of a chicken/egg question - does the public shape the media and their coverage, or does what the media put out shape the public wants and desires?

It's likely a mix of both, but personally I'm inclined to think that as consumers, the public shape what the media put out in the vastly more open market for such things that exists today. Of course, those in charge of such media outlets know that giving those people what they want is a way of exerting power and influence over them too, so you might say the whole thing is mutually beneficial.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

I'd argue many do. In an age where people are generally always on the go and spend seconds flicking between stories, small sound bites are the things that will attract people to continue reading or click onto a story. 

Imbeciles on Twitter (yes, I know some of you will stop reading there lol ) getting wound up because Martin Lewis decided to wear a watch that lets him know if he's getting within 2m of someone else. He said it's particularly helpful for when he's on set and cameraman might get too close. 

Now bellends replying to him get abusive and personal because of it. It literally has no bearing on their lives yet they choose to let it consume them. Weird. 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Imbeciles on Twitter (yes, I know some of you will stop reading there lol ) getting wound up because Martin Lewis decided to wear a watch that lets him know if he's getting within 2m of someone else. He said it's particularly helpful for when he's on set and cameraman might get too close. 

Now bellends replying to him get abusive and personal because of it. It literally has no bearing on their lives yet they choose to let it consume them. Weird. 

First one i saw was complaining about the BBC buying them. Its an itv show lol

Edited by Facecloth

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Imbeciles on Twitter getting wound up 

People get angry on a daily basis on social media over something or other.

I try to let very little consume me because it's simply not worth bringing that aggro into my life.

There are plenty on here who bring out a fair bit of rage which surely can't be good for them - or maybe channeling their rage here makes them less angry in real life, who knows :dunno: