Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I know I've mentioned it before, but providing IT guidance to my elderly parents, even with remote access to their PC is teeth pullingly awful.

When we finished that, they asked me how to get the ITV player to work on their telly, so I started a YouTube video explaining how to do it on their laptop remotely, made my excuses and then f***** right off.

I can't wait to be old! It's not even that far away for me now

20 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I know I've mentioned it before, but providing IT guidance to my elderly parents, even with remote access to their PC is teeth pullingly awful.

When we finished that, they asked me how to get the ITV player to work on their telly, so I started a YouTube video explaining how to do it on their laptop remotely, made my excuses and then f***** right off.

I can't wait to be old! It's not even that far away for me now

Have they caught up on Coronation Street yet?

On 22/02/2021 at 13:38, David Guiza said:

Crap like this. I may have the complete wrong end of the stick, but there's no reference whatsoever in here to any money whatsoever going to the Vichai Foundation, or any other charitable cause. Charging £20 for a Fruit of the Loom t-shirt with a Vistaprint picture added on seems a little iffy.  

https://www.comeonleicester.com/#/products/Z2lkOi8vc2hvcGlmeS9Qcm9kdWN0LzQ4OTkwMzIxMzc4Mzc=/

Also, Patreon extensions to podcasts. I completely understand the need for it, and it's not so much of an issue when it's only mentioned every now and then and doesn't dilute the main content. The issue however is when the podcast is rendered unlistenable to non-paying members, particularly when the pod also has countless sponsors throughout and sell merch also. I regularly listen to 5/6/7 podcasts and the going rate seems to be £8/10, it's a little excessive.   

Agree with this totally. I think in the Podcasts thread I eluded to it with Quickly Kevin and how you feel a but "shut out" with the way they bang on about the Patreon. They're also getting bad for "great story from X player on the Patreon" or "superb email here, find it on the Patreon." Like, okay, but I don't know if that's enough to make me part with night on £70 per year if I haven't already done so.

There's a podcast, Nessun Dorma, I don't know if anyone else listens to it, but it's quite brilliant as three guys just talk memories about 80s/90s football. They seem to get the balance right. They talk about the levels, and the special access is basically early access, no ads, two parters in one big part and the top level get to be given a football backstory. That's it. It doesn't diminish the quality of the actual content, they don't ruin it. It works.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Agree with this totally. I think in the Podcasts thread I eluded to it with Quickly Kevin and how you feel a but "shut out" with the way they bang on about the Patreon. They're also getting bad for "great story from X player on the Patreon" or "superb email here, find it on the Patreon." Like, okay, but I don't know if that's enough to make me part with night on £70 per year if I haven't already done so.

There's a podcast, Nessun Dorma, I don't know if anyone else listens to it, but it's quite brilliant as three guys just talk memories about 80s/90s football. They seem to get the balance right. They talk about the levels, and the special access is basically early access, no ads, two parters in one big part and the top level get to be given a football backstory. That's it. It doesn't diminish the quality of the actual content, they don't ruin it. It works.

Yep, Quickly Kevin is one of the worst offenders for it. I don't mind them flogging the live shows every now and then, but the constant 5/6 references to the Patreon every episode has just taken away all the quality. Not to mention that complete ignorance of our club given our highs and lows of the 90s :ph34r:

I'll definitely check out Nessun Doma, seems right up my street. 

3 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Yep, Quickly Kevin is one of the worst offenders for it. I don't mind them flogging the live shows every now and then, but the constant 5/6 references to the Patreon every episode has just taken away all the quality. Not to mention that complete ignorance of our club given our highs and lows of the 90s :ph34r:

I'll definitely check out Nessun Doma, seems right up my street. 

100%. It's frustrating that QK has diminished so much as it was my must, MUST listen when they were producing but the shine has gone since Patreon, (I mean, still a good listen!)

Let me know if you do get to trying ND, their pods are so long but they are so good; talking about some of the best tournaments, players, managers and periods for football. Could listen to them all day. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

100%. It's frustrating that QK has diminished so much as it was my must, MUST listen when they were producing but the shine has gone since Patreon, (I mean, still a good listen!)

Let me know if you do get to trying ND, their pods are so long but they are so good; talking about some of the best tournaments, players, managers and periods for football. Could listen to them all day. 

Yep Quickly Kevin went from my favourite podcast to unlistenable in the latest series. Not stop Patron adverts and yhe constant banging on about the Steve Bruce book that was never funny in the first place.

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

90/91 with Mancini on the back. It's got ERG on it so I'm hoping nobody thinks I'm a Mark Francois supporter.

I was looking at getting an old shirt the other day and discovered this:-

Shirt-Match-Worn-Sampdoria-football-Diana-Asics-erg-2003-2004-Shirt-Jersey-XL

Which then reminded me of James Richardson telling a story about how Football Italia was on the day after Diana died and, as you'd imagine, they were pretty much the only channel showing anything other than wall to wall rolling news. The above player was playing for Brescia (?) and opened the scoring; Peter Brackley and whoever was on co-coms had to desperately try and avoid any laughing out of sheer awkwardness. 

Just watching House of Games and there was a football question, and I heard Ronni Ancina shout "Oh more football questions." It reminded me of something that ground my gears before covid when I regularly went to pub quizzes, and people would moan everytime there was a sports round or question, especially football. I don't get why people get so pissed of about quizzes having sports questions. Sport is perfectly legitimate quiz round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Older forum members: can you remember the moment you stopped worrying about things like packing your bags as items come through the checkout or having your bank card to hand?

Younger forum member....

I always have my bank card to hand.

If using a staffed checkout, I try to pack my bags with such efficiency that I am able to take the last item from the staff member's hand to pack as the last item in my last bag. Watch and learn, youth! :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Younger forum member....

If using a staffed checkout, I try to pack my bags with such efficiency that I am able to take the last item from the staff member's hand to pack as the last item in my last bag. Watch and learn, youth! :D

Showoff, we all know you're still in the prime of your life, Alf. :thumbup:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Younger forum member....

i bet you're one of those annoying twats who spreads out ther shopping on the in-side of the converyor to buy yourself more time on the other side. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Paying for delivery or at least paying over the odds for delivery. That usually kills off any impulse purchases. Buying something for £20 and them wanting to charge £5 delivery :unsure:

Alternatively, and ASOS I’m looking at you, subscribing to annual next day delivery and then them not being able to fulfill it. 

Edited by Livid

Online team meetings.

Perhaps I'm getting to be a miserable old git but to try and have a bit of 'fun', colleagues suggest dressing - up for them.

We have had; everyone wears a hat, everyone wears something orange and the latest - wear your dressing gown!

For the latter, I asked if my female colleagues would be wearing baby doll nighties underneath.

Cue a later bollocking from my (female) manager

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Online team meetings.

Perhaps I'm getting to be a miserable old git but to try and have a bit of 'fun', colleagues suggest dressing - up for them.

We have had; everyone wears a hat, everyone wears something orange and the latest - wear your dressing gown!

For the latter, I asked if my female colleagues would be wearing baby doll nighties underneath.

Cue a later bollocking from my (female) manager

just cosplay as the invisible man. or make a cardboard cut out of yourslef. i hate these video meetings. i never coem away from them feeling like we did anything productive. because i have to stop what im working on to take the meeting