Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

".......People have pointed out their problems may come when they get injuries, but lets be more specific.....when they get injuries to those two [Mahrez, Vardy].  Here at Goodison the gameplan was unsophisticated: Get the ball long and early to the front men and see what happens......" - Dave Maddock

I have a feeling there will be a gradual increase in this kind of sniping, just like there was when O'Neill's teams looked like they were actually going to outstay their welcome and try to win competitions.  I'm surprised it hasn't really begun in earnest just yet,; there are enough butthurt sports journalists, pundits and experts around being shown as spectacularly ignorant and stealing a living.  Back in the 90's it was "Leicester are a boring defensive side who just sit back and hit the ball long at Heskey/Marshall/Elliott, only score from set pieces and play for penalty shootouts". 

".......People have pointed out their problems may come when they get injuries, but lets be more specific.....when they get injuries to those two [Mahrez, Vardy]. Here at Goodison the gameplan was unsophisticated: Get the ball long and early to the front men and see what happens......" - Dave Maddock

I have a feeling there will be a gradual increase in this kind of sniping, just like there was when O'Neill's teams looked like they were actually going to outstay their welcome and try to win competitions. I'm surprised it hasn't really begun in earnest just yet,; there are enough butthurt sports journalists, pundits and experts around being shown as spectacularly ignorant and stealing a living. Back in the 90's it was "Leicester are a boring defensive side who just sit back and hit the ball long at Heskey/Marshall/Elliott, only score from set pieces and play for penalty shootouts".

Suits me just fine, rather be underestimated and everyone think we are in a false position.

I also read this piece of genius on the Liverpool forum! :facepalm:

"People are not understanding how we are getting beat and by which teams we are getting beat by. I'm more worried about the games after after Leicester Sunderland and Stoke especially. I wish we could play the likes of Man City Arsenal and Leicester every week right now. Leicester wont sit back and concede possession vs us they will try and out play us and they will attack at every opportunity. I's very likely we will beat them in a high scoring game 4-2 or something.

The two teams recently Man City and Southampton that played the way Leicester will play didn't have much joy vs us , teams like Watford who are willing to sit back and give up possession and hit on the break are having all the joy as we are one dimensional and if teams don't play into our hands we don't have a plan b and can't break teams down who do that."

Wow. I didn't think it was possible to be that wrong about everything. If they struggle so much with counter attacking sides though... The word bloodbath comes to mind.

• Like 1

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/20/manchester-city-david-silva-raheem-sterling-arsenal

"If Leicester are going to stick around in the top four, and Silva thinks they might, Monday’s game cannot be billed as a title decider. “It is too early in the season anyway,” Silva says. “It is an important game but not one that will define anything. Arsenal are clearly a very strong team but Leicester are playing very well, so both really are direct rivals. You can’t discount Leicester because they are producing great performances every week. They are confident and winning their games. Perhaps Arsenal’s players have the edge in experience, they have everything they need to challenge for the title and they have some players coming back from injury, too.”

Good man Dave

• Like 1

".......People have pointed out their problems may come when they get injuries, but lets be more specific.....when they get injuries to those two [Mahrez, Vardy].  Here at Goodison the gameplan was unsophisticated: Get the ball long and early to the front men and see what happens......" - Dave Maddock​

Mahrez didn't play at Carrow Rd and we won, something Arsenal and Everton couldn't do.

You've got to remember that although the public think it's refreshing to see a small club like us upsetting the apple cart the papers will still want to blow smoke up the arses of the bigger clubs as its what sells papers. A lot of these journalists have very limited knowledge on anything outside of what happens at the big clubs and eventually they get lazy and make stuff up.

To be fair I thought we played ugly on Saturday but somehow it worked and it's what was needed as Everton were looking very bullish bit 2nd half we completely left them for dead. We're a direct team but usually with a varied style of getting the ball forward and it's a joy to watch. On Saturday we were very, very direct with long balls and it was a tad scrappy but we scored 3 goals against a decent team and you've got to marvel at our ruthlessness.

I don't think his comment in the mirror was too outrageous. Rather than injuries a more pertinent concern would be when sides set out to man mark Mahrez in an attempt to nullify him. Likewise that economist piece identified precisely where and when to commit cheap fouls against us to prevent the counter attack.

We've not needed a significantly different plan b yet, if we want to maintain top six pace then we might need one.

A point of observation here.

Was round a friend's house on Sunday morning and had a read of the The Sunday Times' sports section. Expecting Leicester to be on the front page of the section? Nope. All about Man Utd and Chelsea. In fact, Leicester becoming top at Christmas were given a small side article on the fouth page. Shocking.

Guess, it's the same old story with Leicester. Nothing new here to report, just another win to extend our points at the top of the League  :xmasbiggrin:

Not sure if other newspapers on Sunday wrote about Leicester extensively?

People make out once sides start taking us seriously we're going to lose every week, man mark Mahrez and have a deep defensive line and you'll easily beat Leicester!!!!111!!

If it was so easy teams would have done it by now.

You've got to remember that although the public think it's refreshing to see a small club like us upsetting the apple cart the papers will still want to blow smoke up the arses of the bigger clubs as its what sells papers. A lot of these journalists have very limited knowledge on anything outside of what happens at the big clubs and eventually they get lazy and make stuff up.

To be fair I thought we played ugly on Saturday but somehow it worked and it's what was needed as Everton were looking very bullish bit 2nd half we completely left them for dead. We're a direct team but usually with a varied style of getting the ball forward and it's a joy to watch. On Saturday we were very, very direct with long balls and it was a tad scrappy but we scored 3 goals against a decent team and you've got to marvel at our ruthlessness.

Absolutely, Sam Wallace on Sunday Supplement yesterday was embarrassing as he 'ummed' and 'erred' his way through the topic of Leicester as he struggled to think of anything he knows about them outside of his basic knowledge. Similarly, John "19th place" Cross managed to bring the topic right around to Arsenal, a subject which he knows a lot about (which is fine, but stop pretending to be an all round expert).

Ollie Holt was the only one with any half decent knowledge, mainly because he's interviewed Kasper and probably had to do research beforehand. There's obviously nothing wrong with knowing nothing about us, but when people try and BS their way through print/broadcast/social media it's really frustrating.

It's amazing how this season has swung. We were the breath of fresh air in Aug-Oct. Now we're an inconvenience at the top, with Watford and Palace joining us up here. Journalists are having to write out of their comfort zones, they're actually having to think.

It's worth saying again that the media will be desperate for us to fall away; firstly so the inevitable landslide of "told you they couldn't last" articles will be produced and they can go back to their comfortable top four articles. Sky, as much airtime as they've given us on SSN recently, will want us to fall back too. Remember by the time Villa is shown on Jan 16 we'll have been on Sky just four times (plus once on BT.) Imagine, in this age of 138 live PL matches, a team being top or in the top four and having been live on Sky just FOUR times? It's unprecedented and embarrassing. They'll have no choice but to zone in on us if we're still there or thereabouts come Feb/March.

• Like 1

It wasn't our best performance on Saturday, the conditions made it difficult for both sides, but we coped better with it mainly by getting bodies into the box and forcing the mistake, as we do quite often. You can't play precision short or long passing when the pitch is as wet as it was, so you need to be a bit more direct, and the more time you spend in their box, the greater chance of a mistake.

People make out once sides start taking us seriously we're going to lose every week, man mark Mahrez and have a deep defensive line and you'll easily beat Leicester!!!!111!!

If it was so easy teams would have done it by now.

As with any system it takes time and patience to drill players on how to stop the opposition. It's taken us an age to secure a clean sheet, it took us around 8 games until the front two understood precisely how deep to sit and for the back four to remain a resolutely flat back four.

Watford are playing a very similar system, clubs will gradually adapt and perfect techniques (ffs it took us nearly 6 months to win a sodding game) to potentially nullify us and them. We may see more games like Palace at home where their tactic was to do nothing at all for ninety minutes in order to stop us counter attacking. What we can be sure of is that sides will give away more fouls on Kante to prevent counters.

Edited by fleckneymike

Let everyone keep dissing and dismissing us. Let Lawro keep predicting us to lose. Let everyone continue with the little Leicester theme. It's good.

While they're doing that we can keep flying under the radar picking up points.

However I feel a turning point will come if and when we beat Man City at home. Maybe not.

I welcome the derision and the sniping. Everything that helps opposition sides to underestimate us is a good thing. I hope it continues for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

As with any system it takes time and patience to drill players on how to stop the opposition. It's taken us an age to secure a clean sheet, it took us around 8 games until the front two understood precisely how deep to sit and for the back four to remain a resolutely flat back four.

Watford are playing a very similar system, clubs will gradually adapt and perfect techniques (ffs it took us nearly 6 months to win a sodding game) to potentially nullify us and them. We may see more games like Palace at home where there tactic was to do nothing at all for ninety minutes in order to stop us counter attacking. What we can be sure of is that sides will give away more fouls on Kante to prevent counters.

I understand that but some pundits seem to think that opposition managers aren't even giving a second thought about how to set up against us when obviously they have but we're very good at adapting within a game ourselves.

I don't think his comment in the mirror was too outrageous. Rather than injuries a more pertinent concern would be when sides set out to man mark Mahrez in an attempt to nullify him. Likewise that economist piece identified precisely where and when to commit cheap fouls against us to prevent the counter attack.

We've not needed a significantly different plan b yet, if we want to maintain top six pace then we might need one.

Every time he got the ball on Saturday if there weren't 2 Everton players within 5 yards of him there were 3. I thought Everton did a great job on both Mahrez and Vardy, they were barely in the game but still Mahrez nets 2 and Vardy gets an assist and wins a penalty. You just can't stop them at the minute even when they aren't playing well (more, in this case, being nullified well by a decent team) they can still pop up and do something magical.

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

'Always had a pathological hatred of that nasty little club since they were at Filbert Street. I too are hoping and praying their wheels come off spectacularly'

' they drive me absolutely mad, the smug Championship divs. It's not going to happen any time soon but the day their wheels come off will be the day I collapse in laughter. s***ty little club with no rivals and clacker whacking, replica shirt loving, arrogant weirdos for fans'

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=157091&page=3

I just read this on the Liverpool forum;

At this rate the top four will be:

1. Leicester

2. Crystal Palace

3. Watford

4. West Ham

God help their opponents in the CL next season, hope they've got a fleet of ambulances ready!

Made me laugh quite a bit! lol

"Small club doing well? Ah they must have a team full of 6"4 midfielders who two-foot tackle anyone in sight. There's no other logical reason as to why they're getting better results than our midfield of Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen".

I swear Palace and Everton fans are the worst, hardly a complimentary word from any of them.

Maybe it's having vastly more sucessful clubs in the vicinity that creates an increased level of bitterness. :xmaswink:

'Always had a pathological hatred of that nasty little club since they were at Filbert Street. I too are hoping and praying their wheels come off spectacularly'

' they drive me absolutely mad, the smug Championship divs. It's not going to happen any time soon but the day their wheels come off will be the day I collapse in laughter. s***ty little club with no rivals and clacker whacking, replica shirt loving, arrogant weirdos for fans'

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=157091&page=3

lol lol lol

That club/forum is fantastic entertainment, the bitterness is next level.

'Championship divs' from a club that's closest Cup win was once being runners-up in the FA Cup and winning the Simod Cup lol

I understand why some on here disagree with my views on Ultra culture but these are the case study, it's turned them into absolute egomaniacs and because we've overshadowed them recently in the media with our atmosphere they've turned to hating us rather than appreciate it's something refreshing for football like we would if it was West Ham or Watford (who are still doing fantastically). It must be hard when in under a year they've gone from #1 Ultras saviours of the English football atmosphere to being outdone by us and Watford lol 

• Like 2