Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

Barcelona have scheduled a press conference for later on tonight amid speculation that Tito Vilanova is stepping down due to Ill health.

Nothing official as of yet but wishing Tito a speedy recovery nevertheless, cancer is a bitch.

Officially stepped down as Manager to focus on treatment. I hope he fully recovers this time.

No big name replacements mentioned as yet, usual Barca way, former Girona Manager who joined as Tito's assistant last month tipped to take over.

Bayern looking in ominous form already under Pep. Scored 9 goals this weekend across 120 minutes against Hamburg and Gladbach (who beat Dortmund 1-0 yesterday).

Think there's one league that's wrapped up already.

Here's one dedicated to MC Prussian...

Went to watch GC vs FC Basel yesterday at Letzigrund. Was a much better game than I anticipated - considering the heat the standard was pretty high. Players seemed a lot more willing to try tricks than in England.

Few things stood out:

1) Yann Sommer in goal for FCB was magnificent. Can't see him staying in CH past this season if the rumours about Barca watching him are true...

2) Attendance was 9.5k? To see two rival teams with 43 league titles between them? Couldn't fault the atmosphere (those picking the KP's acoustics as an excuse for our sh1t support should note that this was a third full, 'all-seater' stadium with a running track and still had more noise than we produce 95% of the time) but I thought the gate was pretty poor. Is that typical or an early season thing? Or more to do with the stadium situation in Züri?

3) Absolute ping from (Muzzy) Izet Hajrovic!!

4) Noticable how quiet the train ack to Basel was. I understand that away fans have to use special trains but what's stopping fans just wandering off and making their own way home?

5) Ref changing his decision to award a pen against FCB? lol 'Fußball Mafia FCB!!'

Hopefully going to see both of these two in their CL qualifiers. Lyon in Zürich should be tasty.

Here's one dedicated to MC Prussian...

Went to watch GC vs FC Basel yesterday at Letzigrund. Was a much better game than I anticipated - considering the heat the standard was pretty high. Players seemed a lot more willing to try tricks than in England.

Few things stood out:

1) Yann Sommer in goal for FCB was magnificent. Can't see him staying in CH past this season if the rumours about Barca watching him are true...

2) Attendance was 9.5k? To see two rival teams with 43 league titles between them? Couldn't fault the atmosphere (those picking the KP's acoustics as an excuse for our sh1t support should note that this was a third full, 'all-seater' stadium with a running track and still had more noise than we produce 95% of the time) but I thought the gate was pretty poor. Is that typical or an early season thing? Or more to do with the stadium situation in Züri?

3) Absolute ping from (Muzzy) Izet Hajrovic!!

4) Noticable how quiet the train ack to Basel was. I understand that away fans have to use special trains but what's stopping fans just wandering off and making their own way home?

5) Ref changing his decision to award a pen against FCB? lol 'Fußball Mafia FCB!!'

Hopefully going to see both of these two in their CL qualifiers. Lyon in Zürich should be tasty.

Good to you, man! Always love a bit of enthusiasm for our local leagues.

The heat is indeed an issue, that's what you get for starting the season so early. I only read about it, but I can see why a lot of team just don't want or can't cope with the temperatures and thus shift a few gears back for the last 20 to 30 minutes in a game.

I don't know about the Sommer to Barça rumour - I can see Yann going to a higher-ranked Bundesliga side instead (just like Benaglio a few years back).

The support situation is another big issue over here. Apart from Basel, who attract tens of thousands for almost all home games, the rest of the clubs usually have much smaller crowds.

I think St. Gallen manages to pull up to around 13'000 to 14'000 for each game, and that's pushing it. But remember, this is the holiday season - comes August, there will be more fans for sure.

FCZ's and Grasshopper's shared stadium (a fact that especially GC fans don't really appreciate - they want their own stadium back) is a bit of a disgrace in terms of football. I don't like it, the design is sloppy, it's multifunctional and the acoustics aren't really that great.

Despite operating on a shoestring budget (everything is shoestring if you compare it to Basel's turnover each year), Grasshopper do produce a gem or two each season. Hajrovic being one of them. Sadly, the youngsters tend to leave the league a bit too early and get found out on the European stage.

As for the train situation, Basel and Zurich fans don't really like each other. That's why Basel fans are usually carried to Zurich with an extra train, which is closely guarded by the police. If you're proud to show your Basel colours, Zurich's probably a bad place to be (and vice versa).

That's why Basel fans tend to travel in flocks. It's safer.

The referee decision was correct.

Glad you liked your stay. Next time you ought to come over and see my local team (Schaffhausen) play at home in the second tier (Challenge League).

EDIT: Our prices are £10 for a seat without one (or £7 if you know me and my discount), local beer's £3 and good and we have some of the best Bratwurst around.

Edited by MC Prussian

Jordan might enjoy the fact that Breiðablik went through to the third qualifying round of the Europa League after winning 0-1 away at Sturm Graz (1-0 on agg). Fantastic result and a bit of a shock...

• Like 1

Jordan might enjoy the fact that Breiðablik went through to the third qualifying round of the Europa League after winning 0-1 away at Sturm Graz (1-0 on agg). Fantastic result and a bit of a shock...

I'd do anything just to have a laugh at the expense of Austrian football clubs in European competitions...  :giggle:

Their football league is in somewhat dire straits and they're all looking West for inspiration.

FC Thun won their two games against Georgian opposition 5-1 on aggregate and are now facing Swedish side BK Häcken, whilst FC Zürich have to play against Slovan Liberec.

Thun will have a tough time against Häcken. They disposed of Sparta Prague (how were they not both seeded??) and have plenty of quality players in their squad.

I'm not much of a follower of Swedish football. My knowledge ends with AIK, Gefle and Djurgardens (went to see them play at home during the LCFC pre-season tour in 2011).

I always thought of BK Häcken as a rather mediocre, if not poor football club with little quality players. Looks like they've improved quite a bit over the years.

Munich 1-0 down to Dortmund in the super cup.

4-2 to Dortmund in the end. Glad the Bayern supremacy has taken a slight dent. I'd be so bored if Munich won everything all the time.

Hopefully, the upcoming Bundesliga season won't be so dull and one-sided as the last one. :fc:

No big surprises in the Champions League qualifying matches today:

Austria Vienna restored some pride for its country by beating FH Hafnarfjordur 1-0 at home, Basel beat Paulo Sousa and Maccabi Tel-Aviv by the same scoreline, Lyon against Grasshopper Zurich likewise.

Eindhoven beat Belgium side Zulte-Waregem 2-0, Dinamo Zagreb dispatches of FK Sheriff Tiraspol by 2-0 as well and Zenit St. Petersburg win away at Danish side Nordsjaelland.

Meanwhile, Plsen thrash Numme Kalju from Estland 4-0 away from home.

The only minor shock could be PAOK Salonika losing at home to Metalist Kharkiv.

Edited by MC Prussian

Ha :P

Breiðablik have really made leaps and bounds over the past few years; from what I gather, they have fantastic facilities for such a small club.

That is a hell of a result, though.

As for Icelandic teams, during my recent trip there, everyone was telling me to go see ÃBV because that's where David James plays. Yes, he still plays, and it's apparently quite a big deal (bigger than it should be, perhaps). I guess it's kind of cool that he plays there (and he does seem like an interesting character), but going to the Westman Islands and back the day before my flight home just to watch David James play seemed like much, much, much too much effort, for what it's worth.

Good to you, man! Always love a bit of enthusiasm for our local leagues.

The heat is indeed an issue, that's what you get for starting the season so early. I only read about it, but I can see why a lot of team just don't want or can't cope with the temperatures and thus shift a few gears back for the last 20 to 30 minutes in a game.

I don't know about the Sommer to Barça rumour - I can see Yann going to a higher-ranked Bundesliga side instead (just like Benaglio a few years back).

The support situation is another big issue over here. Apart from Basel, who attract tens of thousands for almost all home games, the rest of the clubs usually have much smaller crowds.

I think St. Gallen manages to pull up to around 13'000 to 14'000 for each game, and that's pushing it. But remember, this is the holiday season - comes August, there will be more fans for sure.

FCZ's and Grasshopper's shared stadium (a fact that especially GC fans don't really appreciate - they want their own stadium back) is a bit of a disgrace in terms of football. I don't like it, the design is sloppy, it's multifunctional and the acoustics aren't really that great.

Despite operating on a shoestring budget (everything is shoestring if you compare it to Basel's turnover each year), Grasshopper do produce a gem or two each season. Hajrovic being one of them. Sadly, the youngsters tend to leave the league a bit too early and get found out on the European stage.

As for the train situation, Basel and Zurich fans don't really like each other. That's why Basel fans are usually carried to Zurich with an extra train, which is closely guarded by the police. If you're proud to show your Basel colours, Zurich's probably a bad place to be (and vice versa).

That's why Basel fans tend to travel in flocks. It's safer.

The referee decision was correct.

Glad you liked your stay. Next time you ought to come over and see my local team (Schaffhausen) play at home in the second tier (Challenge League).

EDIT: Our prices are £10 for a seat without one (or £7 if you know me and my discount), local beer's £3 and good and we have some of the best Bratwurst around.

Well I'll be there start of February, I'm in for a game! Will be around St. Gallen with family!

I don't know how this managed to slip past me, but this season, little Sassuolo Calcio in Modena of Italy will be playing in Serie A this season. I had literally not even heard of them until a few minutes ago.

Sassuolo played in the lower divisions, where they played in a 4,000-seat stadium, until 2008. While they had benefitted in recent years from the funds brought in by a local chemical company magnate, apparently they slashed their wage bill last season and still wound up winning Serie B.

I'm trying to find out more about what happened here, and see if it's either something along the lines of "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" from the 1990s or if this is more like, say, Hoffenheim. Do any Italian "calcio" fans here have any insight on this club's success that they can share?

I don't know how this managed to slip past me, but this season, little Sassuolo Calcio in Modena of Italy will be playing in Serie A this season. I had literally not even heard of them until a few minutes ago.

Sassuolo played in the lower divisions, where they played in a 4,000-seat stadium, until 2008. While they had benefitted in recent years from the funds brought in by a local chemical company magnate, apparently they slashed their wage bill last season and still wound up winning Serie B.

I'm trying to find out more about what happened here, and see if it's either something along the lines of "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" from the 1990s or if this is more like, say, Hoffenheim. Do any Italian "calcio" fans here have any insight on this club's success that they can share?

I saw a few Sassuolo games last season as they won me a few bets. I'm sure they had a couple of decent loanees and ground out quite a few results. Also just looking from their 42 Serie B games last season they had 13 opposition players sent off against them!