Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

19 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

I quite like how scheming he is, going between all parties, playing his own game, though as you mention, his plans for the throne are effectively over so his stories run its course and so he'd just be a useless character now. 

That's pretty much how I see it.

TBH I rather like the way the overall plot has developed - it started as intrigue between lots of families with the Iron Throne being the prize (where a character like Littlefinger fits in really well), but as it has gone on it's become more and more evident that who sits there is (right now) unimportant - because the One True King is on his way, and his army grows with every victory he has.

On 29/6/2017 at 15:30, Foxxed said:

I'd kill of at least one Stark. I'm just bored of the "The Starks were unjustly punished and they will all now have vengeance against all the odds" theme but then I'm probably downplaying Martin's ability to create a compelling story.

I'd be sad to see Jaime go only because he seems to have a good character arch - since losing his hand he's a changed man - and I'd like to see his new character unfold to a greater degree. Unlike his sister whose character arch is more a straight "Was evil and is now more evil" which is fine in most cases but for a main character it's a bit dull.

There are only three Starks left, none of which would make sense to kill off at this point from a story-telling point of view. And the Starks somehow surviving this far is one of the pillars of this show surely? If they were all just killed off by season 3-4, then you'd lose a vital aspect to the story.

Also disagree about Cersei's character development. She was/is a mean bitch which seems to be a Lannister trait, but even she has redeeming parts in her character. She's not all that dissimilar to Catelyn who was a loving mother first and foremost, but everything she did, which was well-meaning, essentially ended up in disaster for her family and the kingdom.

Cersei has nothing to lose now, not even the loss of Jaime would make things worse.

On 29/6/2017 at 19:22, Darkon84 said:

I quite like how scheming he is, going between all parties, playing his own game, though as you mention, his plans for the throne are effectively over so his stories run its course and so he'd just be a useless character now. 

I thought Varys and Littlefinger would have become more central characters in the story by now, judging by how they manipulated things in the beginning.

I don't see their respective plans unravelling at all, they'll just adapt to the changing landscape as they have thus far.

On Littlefinger's side, it's building up to a heritage vs culture showdown regarding Jon's legitimacy and blood line. Which stance do the Starks and the North take? And Dany?
On Varys' side I guess they're not going to run the story from the books, so I guess there's no ulterior motive than to get Dany on the throne.

Cersei has no redeeming features whatsoever, unless you count loving her children, which all women do anyway. She's a hateful woman who despises everyone and everything around her. She has no problem killing innocent people just to satisfy her vengeance.

13 hours ago, The Bear said:

Cersei has no redeeming features whatsoever, unless you count loving her children, which all women do anyway. She's a hateful woman who despises everyone and everything around her. She has no problem killing innocent people just to satisfy her vengeance.

If you read the books you get a lot more of her back story, how she was used by her father and treated as nothing more than pawn in his power games forcing her to marry Robert Baratheon for political reasons. It doesn't change what she has done but you do see her in a different light and understand more the way she is. It's one thing the books do that you don't get on the TV show, really develop the characters and blur the line between who is good and evil.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2

If you read the books you get a lot more of her back story, how she was used by her father and treated as nothing more than pawn in his power games forcing her to marry Robert Baratheon for political reasons.

That'll be the same as every other daughter of a high-born Lord in Westeros then! They all get married off to forge alliances with other houses. They don't all turn out evil though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was a pretty decent way to hit the ground running. The scene very much set.

Arya...dealing with the rest of the Freys was very cathartic. Also Sam rapid cut dealing with slop and shit in equal measure was funny too.

Edited by leicsmac

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, that was a pretty decent way to hit the ground running. The scene very much set.

Arya...dealing with the rest of the Freys was very cathartic. Also Sam rapid cut dealing with slop and shit in equal measure was funny too.

Apart from the first two minutes I thought it was pretty boring. Still I guess that's what the first episode in a seasons like.

49 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Ed fvcking Sheeran, that scene was bloody awful. The rest was quite good, a lot of exposition but it was episode 1. Enjoyed Euron's bit, and Jon getting shit done in the North.

Thank god somebody else said it.  There was 7 of us watching it and the other 6 all loved it but for me the sheer fact of having some random celebrity thrown in there completely ruined  the scene regardless of it being Ed Sheeran.  I had no idea he was going to be in it and the second his famous, easily recognisable face appeared it completely destroyed my sense of immersion.

The opening scene was good.

1 minute ago, deejdeej said:

Enjoyed that. The hound is still a great character! Who were the father and daughter skeletons they found?

They were the ones he and arya visited before and he stole the silver the guy was hiding for food iirc. 

Good first episode imo. With only 7 episodes this season we shouldn't have a dull one. 

Absolutely love the series but I thought that was a really disappointing start to the season.  I thought the idea behind reducing the number of episodes was because there was no longer any need to have filler episodes.  But what did we get?  Yet another hour of 'setting-up' with the generic Daenerys wank-fest at the end.  Underwhelming.

Also the Ed Sheeran cameo was a total disaster, five minutes wasted for absolutely nothing.  Doesn't matter if he's mates with the producers or actors on the show, a show the size of GoT doesn't need a bullshit cameo.  Unacceptable.

Quite enjoyed that. The production is very good these days even if some of the acting/dialogue is found wanting at times. Some dodgy scenes, notably the Ed Sheeran one. Euron was less cringe-worthy than last season, which is a shame as I quite like Pilou Asbæk, but he feels badly casted here. The Hound is a great supporting character, hope he and Arya cross paths again.

The Ed Sheeran cameo was about as cringe-worthy for me as David Beckham in King Arthur. It was a totally pointless appearance, it added virtually nothing to the story, and his voice is far too mellifluous for the context and the general feel of the show. And while of course I'm constantly aware that I'm watching actors play characters in a TV show, the worlds of Westeros and pop music are too far apart for me to temporarily suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy the drama. It just took me straight out of the story.

• Like 2

Thought it was a very good first episode and points to where the action is heading for, mostly, just Danys army to figure out but my money is on attacking a certain rock :)

Also, the Ed Sheeran scene mentioned here  plus spoilers of course.

Edited by ithuriel