Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

Ugh. BBC America have made a TV version of Terry Prattchett's The Watch. Prattchett's daughter has disowned the thing and not surprising as it looks horrendously bad. They had the rights to do an adaptation when Terry was still alive but since his death they've changed all the people involved and made a hideous punk rock version with woke recastings and terrible acting.

As a massive Pratchett fan it just makes me sad the way they've just used his work's name and shit all over the rest. Vimes is a terrible gurning Jack Sparrow lookalike and Lady Sybil is about as far away from the book character as you can get. 

Avoid like the plague. 

Edited by The Bear

9 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Ugh. BBC America have made a TV version of Terry Prattchett's The Watch. Prattchett's daughter has disowned the thing and not surprising as it looks horrendously bad. They had the rights to do an adaptation when Terry was still alive but since his death they've changed all the people involved and made a hideous punk rock version with woke recastings and terrible acting.

As a massive Pratchett fan it just makes me sad the way they've just used his work's name and shit all over the rest. Vimes is a terrible gurning Jack Sparrow lookalike and Lady Sybil is about as far away from the book character as you can get. 

Avoid like the plague. 

I've heard about this, deeply frustrating.

The worst thing is that Pratchett's work, especially involving the Watch, contains a strong note of how important social justice is anyway so there really was no need to mess with it like this. No wonder Rhianna Pratchett and most of the fanbase are forgetting it exists.

Edited by leicsmac

Just finished the second series of The Boys. If you can ignore the awful English accent and unrealistic swearing, it's a very intelligent show. The super hero, the most powerful person on earth, as a psychopathic man child is a really interesting concept. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Just finished the second series of The Boys. If you can ignore the awful English accent and unrealistic swearing, it's a very intelligent show. The super hero, the most powerful person on earth, as a psychopathic man child is a really interesting concept. 

Brilliant finale, Stormfront was a great addition and the reveal of the exploding head supe was an interesting one....

• Like 1

I've never understood why watching people throwing their dignity and self esteem away in front of millions of people, in some desperately vapid attempt to get any tiny ounce of fame and 5 mins in the spotlight, is in any way entertaining or rewarding to watch. 

I genuinely can't watch the stuff or stay in the same room if it's on, as if proximity will somehow infect my mind or soul. It's embarrassingly pathetic from everyone involved. I hate them all with the strongest possible passion. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So...

This is the final of Britain's Got Talent?

Heaven help us.

3 hours ago, Rain King said:

It will be replaced by something similarly shit. Like this Little Mix search for a band thing my Mrs is watching horrendous. 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

I've never understood why watching people throwing their dignity and self esteem away in front of millions of people, in some desperately vapid attempt to get any tiny ounce of fame and 5 mins in the spotlight, is in any way entertaining or rewarding to watch. 

I genuinely can't watch the stuff or stay in the same room if it's on, as if proximity will somehow infect my mind or soul. It's embarrassingly pathetic from everyone involved. I hate them all with the strongest possible passion. 

Not a fan of these types of shows generally but I do like BGT.

Plenty of old school variety.

Gave me some laughs during a crap year.

Stumbled on a brilliant documentary series on Amazon Prime called 'The Tube - Going Underground' - all about the London Underground funnily enough.

Fascinating insight into all aspects of what is an incredible system but almost at breaking point. The staff in the main are brilliant but some of the shit they have to deal with (literally) from Joe Public is disgusting. It was filmed in 2016 so looks like another world now with all the crowds, no masks or social distancing etc.

The passenger numbers are just staggering and it's amazing that the 20,000 staff keep it all running every day. 

17 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Had the same feeling. You'll unfairly judge everything by that standard now 

I personally didn't to be honest. I see Sopranos as a gateway drug, its also obviously really important to the history of HBO because it came at a time when the lights needed to be kept on. To an extent it really helped pioneer a generation of quality TV makers. We likely wouldn't have this thread without it. 

But on its own I feel about the Sopranos the same way I feel about, say, the Ramones or the Clash. Culturally important, huge inspiration to some of my favourite stuff, do genuinely enjoy it and will partake from time to time - but also accept that people have picked up the formula and improved on it since. 

The Wire, Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad are all better crime dramas for me and better shows in general. Sopranos is a good mafia show but its kinda all it is, the content outside of the running of the business is thin and a bit dated. There's not the depth of human drama that you get elsewhere. 

For the Sopranos to have had a profound effect on my ability to watch other shows I'd have needed it to fill a place in my heart literally nothing else could. Few shows have done that for me, the Leftovers is one I guess, maybe Generation Kill.

• Like 1

Probably been mentioned before but we watched all 3 series of The Detectorists over the last week or two ...  nice gentle comedy well written by Mackenzie Crook and great acting by a quality cast ....    loved it ! 

“How could  Dianna Riggs daughter possibly be married to him !! “ ....   said Mrs CF ...    cus he wrote it and can be married to whoever he likes you silly dollop !! ...   :)

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 13:28, Stadt said:

I finished the Sopranos the other week, can’t really be arsed to get into anything else now. 

I’m watching it for the second time around, loved it the first time but now I feel it’s only really picking up on season 5.

I think I’d built it up in my mind as being so fantastic that it was only going to disappoint second time around.

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m watching it for the second time around, loved it the first time but now I feel it’s only really picking up on season 5.

I think I’d built it up in my mind as being so fantastic that it was only going to disappoint second time around.

It’s not mentioned very often but the way we watch things is entirely different now. You appreciate a show far more when you’re waiting a week for every episode compared to watching a show whenever you feel like it. Better Call Saul is my favourite show of the last 5 years and that’s probably in part because you really savour every episode and you’re denied the instant gratification. 

• Like 3