Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford - will he go or will he stay?

I think the warm up does give a slight indication of a player, for example, I'd be a little alarmed if all our strikers were continuously slicing the ball twenty yards wide each time. But the warm up obviously doesn't actually prove anything - just like friendlies really, means nothing, you just have to perform during the match.

At Charlton i got hit from behind the stand because of one of the players shots!

When he signed, I posted (and anyone can quote me if you can find the post) that he did well at League One for Leeds, moved another big club with a good team, Everton, and scored 8 goals. Not fantastic, but not poor. I wasn't excited as most people when we signed him, because apart from Leeds he'd basically scored 8 goals in a good team, and there is no doubt he was a panic purchase by Sven because he didn't get Maynard or Long.

Let him go out on loan then sell him he will not be missed because he's done nothing!

Who's going to buy him? A Premier League club? He has ridiculous wages for any club at this level, and Huddersfield have already come out and said they don't want to buy him regardless of whether they have him on loan, or not.

If agreement is made with Huddersfield for Becks expect Conner Wickham to be his replacement.....I bet my left nut on it!

Is there any truth in the Wickham deal then? Because I thought he was just a name suggested on this forum. I know Pearson doesn't reveal targets (which is good), but I haven't ever heard anything on Wickham, not even from Stringer.

When he signed, I posted (and anyone can quote me if you can find the post) that he did well at League One for Leeds, moved another big club with a good team, Everton, and scored 8 goals. Not fantastic, but not poor. I wasn't excited as most people when we signed him, because apart from Leeds he'd basically scored 8 goals in a good team, and there is no doubt he was a panic purchase by Sven because he didn't get Maynard or Long.

Who's going to buy him? A Premier League club? He has ridiculous wages for any club at this level, and Huddersfield have already come out and said they don't want to buy him regardless of whether they have him on loan, or not.

Is there any truth in the Wickham deal then? Because I thought he was just a name suggested on this forum. I know Pearson doesn't reveal targets (which is good), but I haven't ever heard anything on Wickham, not even from Stringer.

Very good post. I agree with it all.

I usually watch the warm ups and, no word of a lie, one of those usually on target is Lloyd Dyer. So I think warm ups actually mean shit!

lol

Wow, so when Waghorn consistently has a shocking warm up your really suprised and baffled as to why Pearson isn't starting him?? cus like, Warm-ups mean nothing and all that ....

Wow, so when Waghorn consistently has a shocking warm up your really suprised and baffled as to why Pearson isn't starting him?? cus like, Warm-ups mean nothing and all that ....

The warm should have absolutely no influence on whether someone is starting games or not. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just, frankly, stupid.

You think he picks the team based on the warmups? Jesus.

Shakespeare: Waggy's been great in training this week Nige, he's looked absolute quality, he's raring to go, I think we should give him a game.

Pearson: **** off Shakey, he skied one in the warm-up last week, that willy puller's not getting anywhere near the first team.

You think he picks the team based on the warmups? Jesus.

Shakespeare: Waggy's been great in training this week Nige, he's looked absolute quality, he's raring to go, I think we should give him a game.

Pearson: **** off Shakey, he skied one in the warm-up last week, that willy puller's not getting anywhere near the first team.

Of course that is ridiculous but if it is indicative of his finishing in training then that would be a worry and, unless he is measurably better in training, he may struggle to ever break into our first team. It seems like an age since his loan spell and the permanent move has been a mistake but hopefully working with Pearson and his coaches can get the boy back to some sort of form. The jury is most definitely out though for me and I suspect he will remain a back up player until his contract expires and he is released. I hope I am proven wrong as I have nothing against the boy but I am unsure he has anything other than enthusiasm to offer at this level.

Of course that is ridiculous but if it is indicative of his finishing in training then that would be a worry and, unless he is measurably better in training, he may struggle to ever break into our first team. It seems like an age since his loan spell and the permanent move has been a mistake but hopefully working with Pearson and his coaches can get the boy back to some sort of form. The jury is most definitely out though for me and I suspect he will remain a back up player until his contract expires and he is released. I hope I am proven wrong as I have nothing against the boy but I am unsure he has anything other than enthusiasm to offer at this level.

Well we don't see training so we don't know, do we? There's a big difference between training, playing matches and kicking a ball to warm up before a match.

Well we don't see training so we don't know, do we? There's a big difference between training, playing matches and kicking a ball to warm up before a match.

No we don't know which is why I wrote "if". When I have seen him play matches since signing on a permanent (rarely to be fair to him) he has been average at best and very poor at worst. The very fact that "useless" Beckford appears to remain in front of him in the pecking order suggests he hasn't exactly been impressive in training unless he is still unfit, which in itself would be a worry for the lad.

The warm should have absolutely no influence on whether someone is starting games or not. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just, frankly, stupid.

On this i entirely agree .... although as a fan it's the only training we get to see .... so is all we have to base opinions on.... so I'd still try to get the ball on target .. if nothing more than to not look a t1t in front of 20000 people!!

Archived