Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

For someone who doesn't really get on with jrpgs (loved gravity rush, though) is ff7 worth a go? 

The original, or remake?

I loved the original when it first came out and I'm not a huge RPG player. Went to play through it again a couple of years back and couldn't believe how badly it has aged. There are countless segments of boring unskippable story cutscenes where barely anything happens, the graphics (besides the battles) are woeful - none of the charm of the 16 bit sprites, just very low poly flat rendered characters on massively compressed JPG backgrounds, story that takes too long to get going and takes too many bizarre twists. The soundtrack is really good, however due to limitations of the era it's all synthesized so won't have the impact of newer OSTs, let alone anything orchestrated. It did a great job of making use of minigames, and if you're patient you may really enjoy it, but I personally wouldn't recommend it now to anyone who didn't play it 20+ years ago

Also the final boss is an absolute piece of piss, even if you haven't been grinding, which is odd as a couple of the optional bosses are practically impossible unless you're level 99 across the board, and equipped with a very specific set of weapons and materia

Playing Stranded Deep. Not bad, but needs a story. Finally built a largish raft that sharks can't bump over, which should help loads.

However, Subnautica Below Zero is fully released, across most consoles too, in May. I loved Subnautica, so very much looking forward to this.

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Meant the remake as its free on ps+ but it's the best part of 100gb which will take a day to download with my Internet and I'll have to delete loads of stuff to free up the space. 

I've downloaded it.  Just played through the original demo section again and a few minutes of the second chapter.  For a free game you can't go wrong surely?  It took 7 hours to download the lot for me though.  

Having been introduced to X first that will always be my nostalgic favourite but I'm hopeful on this one.  Certainly a decent start.  Will see how it goes.  :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Go for it.  While you're at it, FFX is a must play.  It's half price on the store at the minute, well worth the 12 quid.  Comes with X2 also.  

Does the gameplay in X get more engaging when you progress further into the game? About 20 hours in so far and it feels very linear, and the combat is basically "select the character that counters the opponent you're facing and win". Feels like I may as well be watching someone play for all the input required from me. 

7 hours ago, potter3 said:

Does the gameplay in X get more engaging when you progress further into the game? About 20 hours in so far and it feels very linear, and the combat is basically "select the character that counters the opponent you're facing and win". Feels like I may as well be watching someone play for all the input required from me. 

FF games are always linear from the get go, although I've not played XV yet and from what I've seen that's more open world.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.  Offensive magic early doors in FFX is overpowered.  You will find later on in the game that Lulu for instance is not as effective as in the early game.

In FFX once you make it to the airship you have freedom to go where you choose and the side content will keep you going for hours and hours.  It does take a while to get this far though.  For instance the Omega Ruins will take an age once you have the airship, defeating the dark aeons is tough etc.  I like the combat system in FFX although I guess it's down to personal preference.  I prefer the old school battle systems in general anyway, rather than the action orientated stuff like in XIII.  In later battles it becomes more tactical and one false move and you will find yourself in deep trouble.  The DQ games are great in that respect also.  

I'm enjoying FFVII so far - very linear as expected, the musical score is great and the combat system is good enough.  Still prefer X's combat system though!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

FF games are always linear from the get go, although I've not played XV yet and from what I've seen that's more open world.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.  Offensive magic early doors in FFX is overpowered.  You will find later on in the game that Lulu for instance is not as effective as in the early game.

In FFX once you make it to the airship you have freedom to go where you choose and the side content will keep you going for hours and hours.  It does take a while to get this far though.  For instance the Omega Ruins will take an age once you have the airship, defeating the dark aeons is tough etc.  I like the combat system in FFX although I guess it's down to personal preference.  I prefer the old school battle systems in general anyway, rather than the action orientated stuff like in XIII.  In later battles it becomes more tactical and one false move and you will find yourself in deep trouble.  The DQ games are great in that respect also.  

I'm enjoying FFVII so far - very linear as expected, the musical score is great and the combat system is good enough.  Still prefer X's combat system though!

Cheers, sounds like I just need to press on. I've not played any other FF (or any JRPG really unless pokemon counts) but I've heard they're infamous for having tutorial or introductory sections as long as some games. 

It's not that I didn't like it, story was decent enough so far, and the music was great, it's just I was playing it in bed and was ready to nod off after playing for half an hour. lol

• Like 1

X was my first FF too. Replayed it a little while ago until I got stuck late on and couldn't be bothered to grind to level up. lol

XV was on PS Now until recently too. Really enjoyed it. Seemed a bit overwhelming at first as it has a big open world aspect as mentioned, but you're free to just follow the story if you can't be bothered with all that. It becomes more linear about two thirds of the way in too.

FFX is more linear than other FF games. It is very much story driven and access to an 'open world' never really happens. Even when you get the airship you select a destination and appear there. In saying that though i loved the story in FFX and the battles can become much more difficult further into the game. I just loved the idea of Sin. What an enemy he was.

FFXIII is the worst when it comes to being linear. Never known anything like it. There are times where you watch a cutscene of like 15 mins long, you go back to your character, move forward 10 steps (literally) to start another 15 min cutscene. Just makes you laugh.

If you want a FF with a good story then FF6, 7, 8 and 9 are right up there. Each with their own uniqueness about them.

For me 7, 8 and 9 are unparalleled. To the point I am not sure I can split them in a top 3. All 3 have amazing stories, music and characters. (Though I think 7 edges it as Sephiroth is just a brilliant villain)

I find an RPG has to have a good story, makes you want to see what happens next. If you need to grind to become stronger to get passed a certain point you dont mind if you want to know what happens next.

Good JRPG's to look out for

Dragon Quest - The latest one (12 i think) is brilliant loved every minute of it

Ni No Kuni (Both games are good but especially the second one. Couldn't put it down)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started on Pathfinder: Kingmaker the other day, really good tabletop-RPG-turned-videogame.  I'm just on the Stag's Den invasion so still very early in the game but I'm really enjoying it.  I've never been the biggest advocate of real time with pause RPGs, I find they can become very ponderous and jarring when battles become more complex, but I'm really getting on with this one and I haven't been tempted by the turn-based option at all.  For my first playthrough I'm using a Sylvan Sorceror with a Leopard companion which I'm finding to be a very useful class.

Finished control, can't be bothered to get the plat, I enjoyed it but my days of mopping up trophies are dead now, I'll leave it there.

Tried final fantasy 7 remake. I just didn't get on with it. Still got last of us 2 to finish but feeling a bit meh about that. Same with far cry 3, did it once and its a bit dated now. Any recommendations? On ps4. Something action, maybe a bit like tomb raider or control. Semi open world. But not too grindy like a ubisoft game. Greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Finished control, can't be bothered to get the plat, I enjoyed it but my days of mopping up trophies are dead now, I'll leave it there.

Tried final fantasy 7 remake. I just didn't get on with it. Still got last of us 2 to finish but feeling a bit meh about that. Same with far cry 3, did it once and its a bit dated now. Any recommendations? On ps4. Something action, maybe a bit like tomb raider or control. Semi open world. But not too grindy like a ubisoft game. Greatly appreciated. 

I guess if you enjoyed Tomb Raider you've already played or are at least familiar with Uncharted. I also think everyone with a PS4 has played God of War at this point. Jedi Fallen Order is like a cross between Tomb Raider/Uncharted and a less obtuse version of the Souls games. There's always the Souls games themselves, though they do cater to a fairly specific brand of masochist. Bloodborne and Sekiro follow the same formula but with the RPG elements toned down and removed altogether respectively.

I was about to recommend Prey but I see you've already played that too. Maybe Dying Light (zombie parkour), Death Stranding (not exactly all-out action but fun in a meditative sort of way), Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (mix of open world hubs and more linear levels)?

Edited by Guest
  • Thanks 1

Trying to use my continued inability to buy a PS5 as an opportunity to work through my insane backlog, both PC and PS4. At present that primarily means Pillars of Eternity on PC, the sequel to which I tried a couple of years ago but bounced off for reasons I don't really understand on reflection. Really enjoying it now I feel like I have a proper grasp of the classes and combat (Pillars 2 was the first RTwP game I ever played) and already looking forward to carrying my save over to the next game.

Also inching through The Last of Us Part 2 very very slowly, partly because I want to draw it out and not spoil it by rushing through and partly because playing it for extended periods makes me very anxious.

3 hours ago, Guest said:

I guess if you enjoyed Tomb Raider you've already played or are at least familiar with Uncharted. I also think everyone with a PS4 has played God of War at this point. Jedi Fallen Order is like a cross between Tomb Raider/Uncharted and a less obtuse version of the Souls games. There's always the Souls games themselves, though they do cater to a fairly specific brand of masochist. Bloodborne and Sekiro follow the same formula but with the RPG elements toned down and removed altogether respectively.

I was about to recommend Prey but I see you've already played that too. Maybe Dying Light (zombie parkour), Death Stranding (not exactly all-out action but fun in a meditative sort of way), Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (mix of open world hubs and more linear levels)?

Thanks for the reply, I've played everything you recommend except the souls games (got about 15 hours in to bloodborne before jacking it in due to pure frustration, and apparently that's the easiest of the souls games so I'll swerve them). Maybe I'll give deus ex another go, I've got it in my library ready to download again. Might get hitman 3 as well, enjoyed the first 2 a lot. 

12 hours ago, Adster said:

Playing some Battlefield 1. I maintain this is still the most recent best FPS game on the market. 

Bang on. Nothing can beat this game for atmospheric action. When you're in a grand operations and you have two evenly matched teams it's pure brilliance.

Let's hope battlefield 6 is the same as I thought Battlefield V was naff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Bang on. Nothing can beat this game for atmospheric action. When you're in a grand operations and you have two evenly matched teams it's pure brilliance.

Let's hope battlefield 6 is the same as I thought Battlefield V was naff.

Absolutely mate. So, so disappointed with BF5. Felt too much like a Call of Duty game which I cannot stand. 

Hope Battlefield 6 lives up.