Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Roy M

Jermain Defoe

So this thread can be closed now sunderland have spunked 14 million on a crock... some managers never cease to amaze me.

You should realise by now that football often rewards failure and that the egos involved all believe they can succeed where others have failed.  :unsure:

If the details are true then Defoe has negotiated a great deal to get £70k per week for 3.5 years at the age of 32. I know we’ve seen older players thrive, but not often diminutive strikers with a reliance on pace.

Sunderland have shown great confidence in him and, for that, deserve to win the deal. Personally it’s an offer I’m pleased we didn’t try and beat.

Struggling to believe it, why would anyone offer a 32 year old a 3.5 year contract?

Why would you offer 70k a week when Toronto wanted rid of him unless other clubs were offering something along the same lines and who would want a 35 year old striker on 70k a week.

It's not as bad as it sounds. They lose Altidore who wasn't contributing and won't be paying much of an actual transfer fee, so it's mostly the difference in the two players wages, he probably works out similar in price to Ulloa. Obviously it's great work by Defoe's agent as he's negotiated himself a 70k salary that will take him to 36. My concern if I followed Sunderland would be he has no incentive to actually play well at all.

No. 14mill is his wages not the transfer fee

Ridiculous deal. 3.5 year deal for him at 32 jeez

That's more than £4m in wages each year. Roughly £77'000 per week!  :o

I think we just dodged a bullet there in terms of financial burden. I mean, he still has something to offer now - but in two years or towards the end of the deal?

At £3m for a transfer fee, it looked like a bargain - and maybe we could've struck a deal with him lowering his wages. But this?

Suddenly, I'm all good with Kramaric alone.

Archived