Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 02/09/2019 at 11:31, RoboFox said:

I've used all of five annual leave days this year so far, and I'm pooped.

So booked a flight on Wednesday to visit the other half's dad in Torrevieja on Wednesday.

We're hiring a car so if anyone has recommendations in the Alicante / Murcia regions, then hit me up.

Its September and you have only used 5 days holiday? Please tell me your holidays dont start in January 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lestajigs said:

Its September and you have only used 5 days holiday? Please tell me your holidays dont start in January 

tbf other than going on an actual holiday, i've only used 1 day so far this year. got 5 weeks left to take, gonna be a banging christmas. 

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

What scale of radiation were you using and where do you normally go based on the above?

Geiger counter. Highest reading i got in the 'most exposed' part was 34.07. Background radiation on the streets of London is picking up 15-25! Granted this is only picking up one type of harmful radiation, but it's a decent headline nonetheless surely....

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Geiger counter. Highest reading i got in the 'most exposed' part was 34.07. Background radiation on the streets of London is picking up 15-25! Granted this is only picking up one type of harmful radiation, but it's a decent headline nonetheless surely....

I’ve been as well so know it isn’t dangerous to visit most of the site for a few hours but I wouldn’t say there isn’t that much radiation lol.

What did you think to it? Did you go to Kiev?

Thank you @Soup for all the recommendations back in April about Valencia. Returned yesterday from the city and can't speak highly enough of it. A beautiful city and one of my favourite holidays I've ever been on.

So many areas of beauty and attraction - Turia Gardens, Placa de la Reina, Valencia Cathedral, the markets, the parks, the beaches. There's plenty more as well. 

I love how easy it is to get around. And how cheap it is to do so. To get around the city we mainly walked and used the Metro. Again, so easy to use and navigate around the city. The one thing I love about Turia Gardens is how they realised there was a river that would flood regularly so they turn it in to a long and winding route to walk and be active in. Running, cycling, small football pitches, play areas. It caters for all generations and activities. You don't see enough of that in the UK, sadly.

We went to Mercat de Colon and Mercat Central. Ridiculous amounts to explore and wonder around. I do often find in European cities how great it is to wonder down side-streets or (safe) unknown areas and stumble upon bars and restaurants and Valencia is no different - things you don't find on stuff like TripAdvisor but you end up having a quality time there. We went to one restaurant where they cook/grill lamb chops next to you on a sizzling hot stone. The paella we tried was delicious - knew it would be special as Valencia is where paelle was invented but didn't think it'd be so good. Beer is quite cheap too which is pretty decent for a big city. Only paid between 3-4 Euros for a pint. 

I'd highly recommend visiting the City of Arts & Sciences area - holds the largest aquarium and Europe which includes sharks and Beluga whales. There's also Hemisferic which is a huge IMAX where you can see feature films. The Science Museum there is well worth a visit - educational at the very least.

Malvarosa and Cabanyal beaches are huge. Visited when it was a bit windy in the aftermath of the storms that hit South-Eastern Spain but was still worth the visit. 

Highly recommend a visit to Valencia for anyone interested in a 4/5 night-stay and wants to mix a bit of relaxing as well as sightseeing. Didn't even get to do everything we read about so it's an excuse to go back if nothing else! Albufera Natural Parc is one of them (where Paella was invented and has the largest lake in Spain) but our trip got cancelled due to the storms.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Thank you @Soup for all the recommendations back in April about Valencia. Returned yesterday from the city and can't speak highly enough of it. A beautiful city and one of my favourite holidays I've ever been on.

So many areas of beauty and attraction - Turia Gardens, Placa de la Reina, Valencia Cathedral, the markets, the parks, the beaches. There's plenty more as well. 

I love how easy it is to get around. And how cheap it is to do so. To get around the city we mainly walked and used the Metro. Again, so easy to use and navigate around the city. The one thing I love about Turia Gardens is how they realised there was a river that would flood regularly so they turn it in to a long and winding route to walk and be active in. Running, cycling, small football pitches, play areas. It caters for all generations and activities. You don't see enough of that in the UK, sadly.

We went to Mercat de Colon and Mercat Central. Ridiculous amounts to explore and wonder around. I do often find in European cities how great it is to wonder down side-streets or (safe) unknown areas and stumble upon bars and restaurants and Valencia is no different - things you don't find on stuff like TripAdvisor but you end up having a quality time there. We went to one restaurant where they cook/grill lamb chops next to you on a sizzling hot stone. The paella we tried was delicious - knew it would be special as Valencia is where paelle was invented but didn't think it'd be so good. Beer is quite cheap too which is pretty decent for a big city. Only paid between 3-4 Euros for a pint. 

I'd highly recommend visiting the City of Arts & Sciences area - holds the largest aquarium and Europe which includes sharks and Beluga whales. There's also Hemisferic which is a huge IMAX where you can see feature films. The Science Museum there is well worth a visit - educational at the very least.

Malvarosa and Cabanyal beaches are huge. Visited when it was a bit windy in the aftermath of the storms that hit South-Eastern Spain but was still worth the visit. 

Highly recommend a visit to Valencia for anyone interested in a 4/5 night-stay and wants to mix a bit of relaxing as well as sightseeing. Didn't even get to do everything we read about so it's an excuse to go back if nothing else! Albufera Natural Parc is one of them (where Paella was invented and has the largest lake in Spain) but our trip got cancelled due to the storms.

Glad you had a good time, sounds like you did plenty. I've not done anything at the Arts and Sciences yet so it's good to.hear you enjoyed that.  I do cycle around there a lot though and just looking at it all is pretty amazing.

The restaurant you mentioned sounds interesting, do you remember the name of it?  

10 minutes ago, Soup said:

Glad you had a good time, sounds like you did plenty. I've not done anything at the Arts and Sciences yet so it's good to.hear you enjoyed that.  I do cycle around there a lot though and just looking at it all is pretty amazing.

The restaurant you mentioned sounds interesting, do you remember the name of it?  

Yeah we thought about cycling but preferred the walking options! Saw a lot of people cycling and on those electric scooters. And on top of that, it happened to be a big triathlon competition on the Saturday so got to watch a bit of that. 

I love how unique the buildings are. Something special and distinctive about all of them. The other thing I love about Valencia, which I forgot to mention before, is that there's so much character and history about the buildings in the city. It's something I feel you could never get tired of.

The restaurant was called La Taberna Espanola. Took a while to find just now as couldn't remember the exact street, but it's Here

We also went to El Coso which is nearby the marina/Malvarosa/Cabanyal beach (more towards the Marina club side). I had a grilled hake dish and the missus had a pork steak - both were delicious. The seafood in general is something else as well - so fresh and pure. 

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah we thought about cycling but preferred the walking options! Saw a lot of people cycling and on those electric scooters. And on top of that, it happened to be a big triathlon competition on the Saturday so got to watch a bit of that. 

I love how unique the buildings are. Something special and distinctive about all of them. The other thing I love about Valencia, which I forgot to mention before, is that there's so much character and history about the buildings in the city. It's something I feel you could never get tired of.

The restaurant was called La Taberna Espanola. Took a while to find just now as couldn't remember the exact street, but it's Here

We also went to El Coso which is nearby the marina/Malvarosa/Cabanyal beach (more towards the Marina club side). I had a grilled hake dish and the missus had a pork steak - both were delicious. The seafood in general is something else as well - so fresh and pure. 

Agree about the buildings. Stunning architecture of all different styles. They make a lovely backdrop when enjoying a beer or two. 

I'll check that restaurant out as well next time I'm over there. Sounds nice. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve been as well so know it isn’t dangerous to visit most of the site for a few hours but I wouldn’t say there isn’t that much radiation lol.

What did you think to it? Did you go to Kiev?

Yeh fair enough haha maybe too much a Daily Mail statement from me initially. I loved it, but I do love these eerie, deserted and abandoned places with a mix of aesthetic sites and historical significance. You can let your imagination run wild. Also the growth of wildlife and greenery into every part of the city is fascinating.

Had one day and two nights in Kiev, it was OK. Typical small and cheapish European city. Hope you enjoyed it too, whenever you visited.

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh fair enough haha maybe too much a Daily Mail statement from me initially. I loved it, but I do love these eerie, deserted and abandoned places with a mix of aesthetic sites and historical significance. You can let your imagination run wild. Also the growth of wildlife and greenery into every part of the city is fascinating.

Had one day and two nights in Kiev, it was OK. Typical small and cheapish European city. Hope you enjoyed it too, whenever you visited.

I was there for the euros in 2012 so had a blast. Got to see plenty of Ukraine and it’s a cool country but can be rough around the edges, when I slept on Kharkov train station was interesting.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, stretch1965 said:

Anyone done interailing recently? Want to go and do my own thing for five days across Europe and maybe take in a match

Only ever interailed in patches. Never done the whole Europe whole summer thing.

For just five days, I'd recommend to condense the trip to Norway / Scandinavia. Stunning scenery the further north you go

• Thanks 1

On 17/09/2019 at 18:45, StanSP said:

I love seeing reactions of people visiting cities in Spain. There are so many places worth visiting there. It really is my favourite country and somewhere I think I could easily live a great life.

On 16/09/2019 at 21:47, Leicesterpool said:

Seriously looking into America next year for May time... thinking about Orlando. First visit to the states, probably be my dream holiday if I can pull this off.

I love Orlando! If price is a factor and you can be flexible, the chartered airlines like Tui (Thomson) and Thomas Cook often do really cheap last minute fares as they struggle to fill their planes at that time of year (and even more so in September). Talking around £200 per person, and good packages on offer too.