Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 20/08/2019 at 22:18, Jattdogg said:

Booked a night in niagara with the wife and kids.  Living large i tell ya! Having said that it is a joke how much it costs considering i live about 75 minutes away.  Figure we could take the kids to the indoor waterpark and few other places they'd enjoy.  

The big Jamaica trip is in December so must wait!

Went to bloody ihop as I needed  breakkie and it cost $100 Canadian (with tip and the standard Niagara only added tax plus government tax) for 2 adults and 2 kids. Criminal! McDonald's is tastier than that shite. The pool was fun and some fit mummies! To be fair i rarely eat in Niagara because it was always a 45 minute drive so we brought food from home.  This time wanted a no stress event (and it was) but food in Niagara is absolute shite. Usually only get ice cream or a treat when i go there.  

Edited by Jattdogg

9 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's it just me that gets annoyed when someone says they've done a country when all they've done is go on holiday there?

In my mind, but I'm old fashioned, you've done a country when you've spent a substantial amount of time there and been all around. 

It puts me in mind of a trip to France an auntie of mine made.

She'd was born into a desperately poor family just as the Depression hit in the early thirties and had never had the opportunity to go anywhere other than a cheap weekend in Skeggy. Anyway, late in life she got the chance to go on a 'booze cruise' to Calais for the day with her local Working Men's club; her entire experience involved a skinful of cheap booze somewhere near the ferry terminal and a trip to the local duty free warehouse, but she spent the rest of her life telling anyone who'd listen that France was a 'dirty country'. lol

• Haha 4

Off for a week in Carmarthenshire tomorrow.

Bit of a come down after going Orlando the last few years but I'm sure we'll have a nice time in the middle of nowhere with lots of sheep :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Bit of a come down after going Orlando the last few years but I'm sure we'll have a nice time in the middle of nowhere with lots of sheep :rolleyes:

Oooo lovely area. I lived in Carmarthen town once upon a time. If you feel like heading into Swansea I’d recommend taking the train - glorious scenery and its only an hours journey. If you have a car you should go to Llansteffan for the day too. Beautiful beach, amazing ruined castle on the hill. (Which you'll also be able to see from the train if you look right at Ferryside). Tenby is also nice and easily accessible by train or car. 

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2019 at 10:39, urban.spaceman said:

Oooo lovely area. I lived in Carmarthen town once upon a time. If you feel like heading into Swansea I’d recommend taking the train - glorious scenery and its only an hours journey. If you have a car you should go to Llansteffan for the day too. Beautiful beach, amazing ruined castle on the hill. (Which you'll also be able to see from the train if you look right at Ferryside). Tenby is also nice and easily accessible by train or car. 

At Tenby now mate. Haven’t been here for 40 years since I was a kid and forgot how picturesque it is. Lovely part of the world 

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

At Tenby now mate. Haven’t been here for 40 years since I was a kid and forgot how picturesque it is. Lovely part of the world 

If you have the time take the boat over to Caldey Island! Stunning views and great coastal walks. 

Also if you bump into my old friend Laura tell her she still owes me a tenner. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

If you have the time take the boat over to Caldey Island! Stunning views and great coastal walks. 

Also if you bump into my old friend Laura tell her she still owes me a tenner. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Not sure if I’ve already asked this specific question but anyone know of any places to get a tasty, crafty beer in Madrid? 

We went to this place when we were there for the Atletico game. Was really good, food class too.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187514-d9719664-Reviews-The_Stuyck_Co-Madrid.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=188257347

I've used all of five annual leave days this year so far, and I'm pooped.

So booked a flight on Wednesday to visit the other half's dad in Torrevieja on Wednesday.

We're hiring a car so if anyone has recommendations in the Alicante / Murcia regions, then hit me up.

Edited by RoboFox

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I've used all of five annual leave days this year so far, and I'm pooped.

So booked a flight on Wednesday to visit the other half's dad in Torrevieja on Wednesday.

We're hiring a car so if anyone has recommendations in the Alicante / Murcia regions, then hit me up.

You only get five annual leave days a year???  :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

So next year me and the lads will be starting our trip in Budapest to watch a game at the Euros and thinking of doing a two week trip afterwards going south and flying back perhaps from Dubrovnik as there will be plenty of flights from there to Manchester. 

Anybody got any tips? We'd hope to travel by train on the whole but would hire a car for a bit if necessary. Happy to tick off as many countries as we can and did Croatia a couple of years ago so not bothered about returning there for now. Montenegro seems quite high on everyone's list.

Anyway I know next to nothing about most of the countries round there so any help and advice would be fantastic!

18 minutes ago, ousefox said:

So next year me and the lads will be starting our trip in Budapest to watch a game at the Euros and thinking of doing a two week trip afterwards going south and flying back perhaps from Dubrovnik as there will be plenty of flights from there to Manchester. 

Anybody got any tips? We'd hope to travel by train on the whole but would hire a car for a bit if necessary. Happy to tick off as many countries as we can and did Croatia a couple of years ago so not bothered about returning there for now. Montenegro seems quite high on everyone's list.

Anyway I know next to nothing about most of the countries round there so any help and advice would be fantastic!

I don’t know much about the travel between them but both are cool places. I went to the stadium in Budapest a few weeks ago and it’s a great little stadium. Enjoy

27 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Bosnia is beautiful, people are great and there are lots of quite unchanged parts. Montenegro has some beautiful landscapes but it's become a bit of a playground for rich Russians and Chinese.

Belgrade is great fun and the part of Serbia near Bosnia is quite beautiful. If you're feeling a little more adventurous, Kosovo and Macedonia have some stunning mountain ranges and the Serbian monasteries in Kosovo are really worth seeing. 

Southern Bulgaria / Northern Greece is a fascinating and beautiful region. The Rodopi part of Greece has some interesting towns like Xanthi and decent stretches of coastline, if you want to dip down that far. 

If you're in Hungary you'll obviously be very close to Romania. Transylvania is always a good bet, but the lesser known regions of Maramures and Bucovina in the north are very bucolic and quite accessible. 

Other towns south of Budapest I quite like are Osijek, Pec, Timisoara and Subotica, though none of them are must-sees. 

Edited by bovril

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Bosnia is beautiful, people are great and there are lots of quite unchanged parts. Montenegro has some beautiful landscapes but it's become a bit of a playground for rich Russians and Chinese.

Belgrade is great fun and the part of Serbia near Bosnia is quite beautiful. If you're feeling a little more adventurous, Kosovo and Macedonia have some stunning mountain ranges and the Serbian monasteries in Kosovo are really worth seeing. 

Southern Bulgaria / Northern Greece is a fascinating and beautiful region. The Rodopi part of Greece has some interesting towns like Xanthi and decent stretches of coastline, if you want to dip down that far. 

If you're in Hungary you'll obviously be very close to Romania. Transylvania is always a good bet, but the lesser known regions of Maramures and Bucovina in the north are very bucolic and quite accessible. 

Other towns south of Budapest I quite like are Osijek, Pec, Timisoara and Subotica, though none of them are must-sees. 

I knew I should have just @'d you! Cheers. Great - I'll have a look into those and accessibility. I'll see if I can come up with some sort of route after some proper research.

Do you know any more lively places? My mates will want some good nights out as well as the culture.

On 23/08/2019 at 00:26, Jattdogg said:

Went to bloody ihop as I needed  breakkie and it cost $100 Canadian (with tip and the standard Niagara only added tax plus government tax) for 2 adults and 2 kids. Criminal! McDonald's is tastier than that shite. The pool was fun and some fit mummies! To be fair i rarely eat in Niagara because it was always a 45 minute drive so we brought food from home.  This time wanted a no stress event (and it was) but food in Niagara is absolute shite. Usually only get ice cream or a treat when i go there.  

So that bad,you Wanted to Jump over the falls....!!!  At least you wont have to pay for the water..!!!;)

• Haha 1

Just now, ousefox said:

I knew I should have just @'d you! Cheers. Great - I'll have a look into those and accessibility. I'll see if I can come up with some sort of route after some proper research.

Do you know any more lively places? My mates will want some good nights out as well as the culture.

I don't really get any more adventurous than pubs but I guess Belgrade is good, Timisoara too I imagine would be. Then some Croatian islands like Pag have good nightlife I think. I have a feeling Sarajevo would have some good alternative type places. 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 11:29, Izzy said:

Only start to worry if you start ,to find locals in woolly cardigans....sexy and cuddly.!!!

1 hour ago, Wrighty22 said:

Me and a mate are driving down to Lake Constance on Thursday. Stopping off at Luxembourg and a couple of nights in the Black Forest. Has anyone been to the Lake and got any tips?

Went to Luxembourg last year.  You only need a half a day there. Some really nice bars and restaurants at the bottom of the hill near the river.

• Like 1