Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester United pre-match thread

the question that needs to be answered is...

will we set up to combat utds formation?

or will we play our game as we do at home?

if we are combating their specific side then no-one can predict what side we put out

if we play our game as the home side then id imagine its same as against arsenal, possibly drinks in for king

schlupp is essential down the left as its genuine defensive cover if konchesky goes forward against world class united wingers

Mahrez got no service what so ever and no help when he got the ball in a woeful team effort in the first half.

He had a few shit touches but judging him on that first half alone would be daft. By contrast, Nugent played on in to the second half and was still very poor.

Yes he can contribute with defensive running but so can Vardy, who gives much more pace and direction. They'd be my choice along with Ulloa. Mahrez has been otherwise excellent this season and his running and passing has created chances everywhere.

Mahrez is too slight (imo) to cope with physical sides like Stoke, that's why he was bullied off the ball yesterday. It might also be that now teams have seen him action they have worked out how to handle him. Ironically I think he might do better against the top teams who concentrate on their own team rather than planning how to stop us. Time will tell.

the question that needs to be answered is...

will we set up to combat utds formation?

or will we play our game as we do at home?

if we are combating their specific side then no-one can predict what side we put out

if we play our game as the home side then id imagine its same as against arsenal, possibly drinks in for king

schlupp is essential down the left as its genuine defensive cover if konchesky goes forward against world class united wingers

I think they'll be playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. I don't think they'll be playing this 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 by then. We've done alright against Chelsea and Arsenal with 4-4-2 but you have to get everything right defensively, including pressing and work rate in that formation. 4-3-3- with Cambiasso and Hammond/James deeper is going to be the easiest way of dealing with them I feel.

Schmeichel

De Laet - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Hammond

Mahrez - Cambiasso - Drinkwater - Schlupp

Ulloa

Subs - Hamer, Wasilewski, James, King, Albrighton, Nugent, Vardy

Hammond to sit in front of the back four, we need someone in there to stop the likes of Mata, Rooney & Di Maria playing, someone who will close down & kick at their heels. On yesterday's showing Drinkwater & Cambiasso have to start, the first signs of the understanding between them was promising. I'd keep Schlupp in as well, against the likes of Chelsea & Arsenal the big teams he has been effective in both a defensive & attacking sense, he will offer better support to Konchesky as he has been doing, have more confidence in them two stopping Di Maria or Valencia, rather than Albrighton or Knockaert with Konchesky.

Well the last of our first five games.

As I said when the fixtures came out we would not do that bad as the big boys can struggle at the start.

I would expect the team that finished to be the team that starts.

Looking at a 2-1 or 3-2 score.

One thing for sure if we carry on the way we are going and players form continues Jan is going to be a shite month for us.

Also next summer so be ready for vultures circling the KP.

The price of our success this season could be on the scale of Sottons come the summer.

I think we have to consider the opposition will be playing 3-4-3. NP has many options but to counter the way Utd play we should play 4-3-3. Hammond will be an important player covering the back 4 and watching Rooney/De Maria whoever plays in the hole. I imagine they will interchange. 

Hamer

De laet Moore Morgan Konchesky

Hammond

Drinkwater      Cambiasso

Mahrez                  Nugent

Ulloa

Bench: Kasper, Was King, knocky, Wood, Jeff S, Vardy, 

Able to make a 5 man midfield when defending and a 3 on 3 when attacking and when on the counter. 

Utd playing 4 at the back today shows you know nothing

To have so many options is a crucial element of top class football. The ground is nice and hard, and probably suits our current style, but when the heavy pitches of winter are all around us, the style and personnel may well have to change.

I'm just delighted we have so much strength in depth.

With regard to the United game, I think we will have to dig deep, and be on our best form, to compete with them. Their start has not been good, and they will be looking to improve. The players they have, will surely have to come good soon.

Another draw would be a fine result.

Schmeichal

De Laet Morgan Moore Konchesky

Hammond Cambiasso

Drinkwater

Nugent Ulloa Vardy/Schlupp/Mahrez (Can't make my mind up)

Subs The two on the left not selected Wasilewski King Hamer James Knockaert

This is correct. Can close thread.

Watching the Man U and qpr game, I still think they are still weak at the back, but have class going forward.

Qpr are not able to have a real go at them, but for me we should have no fear against them, just have a real go at them, there confidence will be fragile, and if we can nick an early goal, it will make it interesting.

At the end of the day, with the players they have, we are expected to lose, so our players have no pressure, the pressure is on them to beat a team expected to finish towards the bottom of the league.

For me I expect to lose, but expect to have a real go at them, we have to go with the best 11, not just because they have been in and done ok,and that for me is the midfield second half at Stoke, minus Hammond, maybe have schlupp in to man mark di Maria, as I think schlupp has the pace to track him.

Feeling confident going into this. Had you told me this time last year we'd take points off Everton, Arsenal and Stoke away I would have laughed, yet we've been superb so far.

In terms of Man U, I'm glad they're decimating QPR right now, it was bound to happen at some stage and happening now rather than frustrating them again and being determined for our game next week could only be beneficial to us. Hopefully they're over-confident and we can snatch an upset.

Reckon we'll start Cambiasso and Drinkwater, possibly in a three with King, and Schmeichel may return. Going 3-2 Leicester if we play at the top of our game and can catch them off their guard.

I'd like

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konch

Cambiasso

Hammond

Drinkwater

Knockaert

Schlupp (purely because he is our best defensive winger - thought he was shit yesterday)

Ulloa

Bench:

Hamer

Wasyl

James

Mahrez

King

Vardy

Nugent

Hard for Simpson and Albrighton to come and not get in the squad but very difficult to put them in. Powell obviously can't play and a little easier to leave Lawrence out with his age.

Archived