Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

Newcastle post match thread

The manager hasn't faced a challenge like this since the late jan/mid April debacle of two seasons ago. he clearly failed to sort that out within a reasonable timeframe and we must hope the same doesn't happen again. I've never seen this addressed and wonder what his thoughts were on it.

Of course we are playing at a higher level and need a decent performance to register a draw, never mind a win. however, I'm very interested to see how Pearson copes with the current malaise (and yes, I've watched the past three games and it's been poor in respect of what the players are capable of).

I have no idea if the owners are comfortable that we could be relegated in the knowledge that the squad should be good enough to get back up (with its continuity from last season). If they aren't, I suspect those with clout remember that period in 2013 and may get an itchy finger whilst someone like Pullis remains available. there aren't many out there who have a track record of doing what he did last season. (I'm not justifying changing manager, just musing on what the board might be thinking).

an unexpected win next week and this post seems ridiculous. having watched the past three fixtures, that prospect looks so unlikely though. my general point is that this squad /management structure hasn't faced successive poor displays since that period in 2013 and we need to see a different reaction to then!

We're an average side, capable of great performances and absolute rubbish. We've seen the best and the worst of us in the last six weeks. We're not out of our depth nor are we brilliant. The manager isn't clueless but is making mistakes. We had a fairly settled side last season and I think Pearson is looking for that whilst not trying to be predictable and rigid. However it appears that he's changing a bit too frequently.

These last three results and displays have been very disappointing, highlighted more by the fantastic performances of the three previous games.

We need a performance at Swansea because our away form needs to improve. One goal in four games isn't good enough, we aren't affecting away games enough in an attacking manner. We aren't being battered, just edged out and giving away poor goals.

Massive this.

We're an average side, capable of great performances and absolute rubbish. We've seen the best and the worst of us in the last six weeks. We're not out of our depth nor are we brilliant. The manager isn't clueless but is making mistakes. We had a fairly settled side last season and I think Pearson is looking for that whilst not trying to be predictable and rigid. However it appears that he's changing a bit too frequently.

These last three results and displays have been very disappointing, highlighted more by the fantastic performances of the three previous games.

We need a performance at Swansea because our away form needs to improve. One goal in four games isn't good enough, we aren't affecting away games enough in an attacking manner. We aren't being battered, just edged out and giving away poor goals.

Nice objective look at it. I think we will be fine over the season. We have struggled since Ulloa has stopped scoring, which was something I thought may happen.

There was a reason that Pearson was trying to sign another striker.

THIS.

I mean come on, why have we started deserting the things that have served us so well?

Passing it on the floor

High tempo

Pressing

Pace

Quality

Consistent starting 11 (that includes our best players)

It's not complicated, I've no idea why Pearson is making it so.

I think the problem is Cambiasso. He can't play in a 2 as he hasn't got the legs but Pearson wants him in the side. Therefore we are forced into a 3 Man central midfield which just upsets the balance of the team, and means we can't play 2 up front. I'd sooner see him left out

First half it looked like we were packing the defence to keep a clean sheet. Ulloa looked isolated, Drinkwater and James looked to be tripping over each other.

Looked better going forward when Nugent and Vardy came on. No idea why RDL was so it of position when he gave the ball away.

I don't think we played terribly, we definitely were not set up properly in the first half though.

I think the problem is Cambiasso. He can't play in a 2 as he hasn't got the legs but Pearson wants him in the side. Therefore we are forced into a 3 Man central midfield which just upsets the balance of the team, and means we can't play 2 up front. I'd sooner see him left out

I agree, but I also think Ulloa represents part of the problem too. Despite the fact he's clearly a very talented striker I'm not sure he fits our system and style of play. It feels to me that Pearson is afraid to drop him, almost as if because he's our record signing he has to play.

If you think back to when we were at our best we tended to press from the front with Nugent and Vardy chasing every ball. This served us very well last season but has stopped with the introduction of Ulloa and the various new formations deployed. Virtually all of the penalties that Vardy won last season we're so called 'lost causes'. This gave the midfield the freedom to be be more expansive rather than forcing them to sit outside our own penalty area allowing us to retain possession better and pass the ball more.

One thing I've noticed with this defensive unit during Pearson's reign is that the second we stick a big man up front irrespective of whether or not they are a target man, the defense suddenly have an urge to launch the ball up to that player cutting out the midfield altogether and giving possession back to the opponent. It happened when we signed Wood, then again with Kane, and now Ulloa.

For me it is no surprise that when we have the two smaller lads, Nugent and Vardy, upfront we play our best football.

Now that everybody is fit, I'd like to see Pearson give the team that got us promotion (including Mahrez and Knockaert) a run out in this league as I believe collectively they have the attitude, desire, work rate, and togetherness to give most sides in this league a run for their money.

Only last week, I must have commented on at least two posters who were claiming Cambiasso is essentially brilliant. One poster suggested he could be a future City manager. Now, doubts are creeping in.

Which is it? Is he great, or should he be dropped?

Are they the same people? If so that's a fair question. If not then I imagine the two sets of people hold different views...

One goal in four away games, we need to find a team that can create more chances as we are so wasteful just creating a few will not be enough.

The most sickening thing is that they all seem to have become instant big-time Charlies after Man U. No fight, no graft, no humility.

And Pearson showing signs of panic as well.

Regardless of the next 6 weeks a striker and a winger are musts in January.

You know, I thought our defending in wide positions was incredibly poor today - and has been poor all season. In previous games (not today, admittedly) Schlupp has helped Konchesky out a fair bit - I honestly believe that, coupled with his pace, is the sole reason for his inclusion - but generally speaking full backs have been exposed.

That's not to let the full backs off either, because their distribution is truly awful, and they seldom do anything to stop crosses coming in. De Laet bombs forward a lot and seems to be consistently out of position, meaning that the likes of James / Cambiasso have to fill in as supplementary defenders. He's also comically reckless in the challenge. As for defending as a team, today Cambiasso, and in previous games Hammond / King, have seemed woefully short of the pace required to effectively protect the defence.

But the single biggest reason for our slump is work-rate. I have no idea what has happened, but even during our early 2013 slump we seemed to be putting more effort into games. This feels very 2011-12, for some crazy reason. Something seems to have gone wrong.

I think watching on sky we looked dominant in the air. Moore and Morgan commanded their area. You don't get the whole picture from watching on TV. It could be a lot lot worse though. See Sunderland for details...

Only last week, I must have commented on at least two posters who were claiming Cambiasso is essentially brilliant. One poster suggested he could be a future City manager. Now, doubts are creeping in.

WHo?

Both teams were poor and it was a poor spectacle. Set up was completely wrong, what's happened Nigel? Didn't deserve anything from it one piece of class from them stole the game cos it had 0 0 written all over it. Newcastle are poor though will be in and around the relegation places come the end of the season.

Ulloa had an off game don't think he can play the lone striker role? We were slightly better when Vardy and Nugent came on especially down their right hand side second half. Let's be honest love or loathe him we play better when Andy King is on the pitch so what has he done wrong in order to be dropped?

Poor display all around.

We do need to practice our deadball taking and set pieces more. We are poor from these. Cambiasso hits them too hard and time and time again they sail over all players either straight out or to noone.

We are in a relegation battle unfortunately. We are stagnating away from home.

The manager hasn't faced a challenge like this since the late jan/mid April debacle of two seasons ago. he clearly failed to sort that out within a reasonable timeframe and we must hope the same doesn't happen again. I've never seen this addressed and wonder what his thoughts were on it.

Of course we are playing at a higher level and need a decent performance to register a draw, never mind a win. however, I'm very interested to see how Pearson copes with the current malaise (and yes, I've watched the past three games and it's been poor in respect of what the players are capable of).

I have no idea if the owners are comfortable that we could be relegated in the knowledge that the squad should be good enough to get back up (with its continuity from last season). If they aren't, I suspect those with clout remember that period in 2013 and may get an itchy finger whilst someone like Pullis remains available. there aren't many out there who have a track record of doing what he did last season. (I'm not justifying changing manager, just musing on what the board might be thinking).

an unexpected win next week and this post seems ridiculous. having watched the past three fixtures, that prospect looks so unlikely though. my general point is that this squad /management structure hasn't faced successive poor displays since that period in 2013 and we need to see a different reaction to then!

but we had the same run last December of 1 point in 9 and then won 9 in a row. Of course we don't do that now, but whilst I agree that the last 3 games have been disappointing, let's not panic just yet.

And I agree with Dickov22. For the next few games JV is the first team on the teamsheet and we pick the best players to facilitate his pace.

but we had the same run last December of 1 point in 9 and then won 9 in a row. Of course we don't do that now, but whilst I agree that the last 3 games have been disappointing, let's not panic just yet.

And I agree with Dickov22. For the next few games JV is the first team on the teamsheet and we pick the best players to facilitate his pace.

I did think about last December but we took the lead at Sheffield wed and away to Brighton needs no explanation. then we drew with burnley who were flying. the first half against burnley was a good performance. It's not just about points. It's about the demeanour of the team. We've lost our intensity. How do we get it back?

Swansea play shelvey holding and distributing, may be worth sticking nugent in that role again between the four and the front man.

As another poster said, lets just hope we dont have to look at results like this at the end of the season and think that point/win would have saved us.

Does anyone think Nigel is under a **** ton of pressure from the players to play them? Might explain the weekly changes.

how come when he played well and we all got excited you were the first one to say we weren't allowed to get excited because it's just one or two games, and apparently we aren't allowed to comment until he's played a whole season. then bang one disappointing performance DOUBTS ARE CREEPING IN HE ISNT VERY GOOD GET RID CAMBIASSO OUT. talk about double standards.

or could you just not wait any longer to try and claim "I told you so, I knew all along he was useless" etc?

As another poster said, lets just hope we dont have to look at results like this at the end of the season and think that point/win would have saved us.

Does anyone think Nigel is under a **** ton of pressure from the players to play them? Might explain the weekly changes.

if he is he should man the f uck up and tell certain individuals pressure or no pressure they are not good enough so they should shut up.

Tactics were wrong. Playing against a side who haven't won yet and we only play one man up top. This game was there for the taking but the negative set up put paid to that.

It was a piss poor match and whilst I'm not panicking at all, it does need to improve sooner rather than later. On and off the pitch.

how come when he played well and we all got excited you were the first one to say we weren't allowed to get excited because it's just one or two games, and apparently we aren't allowed to comment until he's played a whole season. then bang one disappointing performance DOUBTS ARE CREEPING IN HE ISNT VERY GOOD GET RID CAMBIASSO OUT. talk about double standards.

or could you just not wait any longer to try and claim "I told you so, I knew all along he was useless" etc?

lol

Exactly my point. Its not me who has raised such 'doubts'..I've said, all along, wait and see. Yet only last week I'm pretty sure it was you who was already stating Cambi is God's gift? In fact, even when we hadn't seen him play, many were sure he'd be great. Well answer the question..is he? Or isn't he? Last week you were sure?

I think the problem we have is that NP doesn't know his best 11, and we are also trying to accommodate Cambiasso. Sooner NP works out his best 11 the better. Last season the team more or less picked itself whereas this season we have so many options. For me, the spine has to be right and I believe that should always include Vardy, Drinkwater, Morgan and Kasper.

Archived