Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the zorro

Women's World Cup 2015

**** sakes anyone but the yanks.

:D :D :D

Edit to add USA deserved that score line on the balance of play--replacing our second striker with Morgan Brian to sit behind the two other CMs was an actual piece of tactical mastery from Jill Ellis, finally. But on the PK that Mittag drew that Sasic subsequently missed, the ref shit herself and gave Julie Johnston a yellow card instead of a red. (Johnston has been absolutely outstanding all tournament and tonight might have been the first time she had been beaten on a chance). Most fouls on plays like that would deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, and Johnston's grab of the shoulder clearly had a big impact Mittag's attempt. I turned away from the TV for a few seconds, but then I was shocked to see Johnston still on the field.

:D :D :D

Edit to add USA deserved that score line on the balance of play--replacing our second striker with Morgan Brian to sit behind the two other CMs was an actual piece of tactical mastery from Jill Ellis, finally. But on the PK that Mittag drew that Sasic subsequently missed, the ref shit herself and gave Julie Johnston a yellow card instead of a red. (Johnston has been absolutely outstanding all tournament and tonight might have been the first time she had been beaten on a chance). Most fouls on plays like that would deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, and Johnston's grab of the shoulder clearly had a big impact Mittag's attempt. I turned away from the TV for a few seconds, but then I was shocked to see Johnston still on the field.

British by birth living in canada so anyone but the yanks lol

Being real i think usa does have one of the stronger sides in this cup and to be fair they might be the only team capable of beating Japan.

I cant see england getting past Japan Wednesday but then again ostrich was fired today so anything is possible

Why are the USA and Japan teams so strong, when both countries aren't big on football and have very average men's sides?

Womens football(soccer) in USA is actually quite a big sport. They've been developing their womens game for years.

Not sure on Japan i can only assume they have been developing their womens game the same as the USA

Why are the USA and Japan teams so strong, when both countries aren't big on football and have very average men's sides?

If you want a more data-driven approach, FiveThirtyEight has a good article from yesterday about how women's soccer has risen in the USA:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/why-is-the-u-s-so-good-at-womens-soccer/

Who doesnt love watching women in shorts running after a ball lol. Ok ok im not being a doosh. I just think its one of those sports where women can really entertain just as well as the men per say.

Football/soccer is not huge in america like the nfl or baseball is. Sure its big but compared to others not even close. With that in mind its the perfect setting for women to gain more exposure and demand.

with demand you get better training programs and more girls/women interested in the sport. The same holds true for canada.

When i was growing up (late 80s early 90s as a pre teen/teen) here nobody played "soccer" really. It was always the immigrant kids or those who were 1st generation canadians by european parents (usually but other continents as well) who wanted to play football after school or on teams. From their its gained incredible popularity and just taken off.

You get a lot of parents who just dont have the time commitment needed or money to get kids up for 5am ice hockey games etc. Football is cheaper. Just adds to it all.

Obviously more to it then what ive written above.

Maybe it was lost in translation, but the Japanese coach was just hugely disrespectful about England. Said he as surprised we'd done so well (which is fine) but the went on to say there are places where the team falls apart and we have no balance. All this may be true, but I'm not sure an opposition coach should be quite so brazen about pointing it out.

WTF I actually want to watch the game and just before kickoff all my BBC channels say no signal. Anyone else affected?

mines fine via sky box.

There's a lot of shrieking going on I may have to mute it, think it's the japs.

Can't believe the standard of this to be honest. If i had a vagina I'd be the Lionel Messi of the women's game

Having a vagina instantly makes you terrible at football though.

Vaginas are to football what kryptonite is to Superman.

Archived