Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

although I may not have made it clear, I was comparing the projects in terms of the actual construction costs and logistics rather than the justification for doing so.

I'd love to see an expansion happen, but I can also see why it may not. The proportion of revenue generated by ticket sales is shrinking at the TV money goes up.

Yeah, that's fair enough, and I can definitely see the comparison. Similar styled grounds after all.

I don't think the financial backing is what's the main reason behind this, I'd say it's to grow the fanbase if anything.

Yeah, that's fair enough, and I can definitely see the comparison. Similar styled grounds after all.

I don't think the financial backing is what's the main reason behind this, I'd say it's to grow the fanbase if anything.

It would almost certainly grow the fanbase.

How many people in the county would love to come and watch us but don't give it a second thought because tickets are never available? How many people would like to bring their kids, spouses, family and friends but just give up on it as it's not possible.

At some point we'll be relegated again and just be another medium sized club in the Championship like Forest, Derby, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheff Wed, etc. At least if we build another 10,000+ seats we'll be competing with the likes of Everton, West Ham, Sunderland, Aston Villa, etc. We must do it whilst our stock is high and it's never been this high before. Otherwise we'll have our moment in the sun and be at the same level as Stoke, Norwich, West Brom, etc when this is all over.

Strike whilst the iron is hot or wonder what might have been if we refuse this opportunity to kick on from the pack of medium sized clubs. 

Why is it a "when"?

To be honest, is anyone even bothered? I bet Sheffield Wednesday fans can't stand it when Brighton fans brag about having a higher ground capacity filled then them on the Championship banter page on Facebook.

When Darlington built a wonderful new stadium 13 years ago most of the fans would have been thinking how good it was to have a massive new stadium with great facilities. They would have been dreaming about the club progressing to a new level and attracting record crowds. It wasn't long before that club had gone out of existence at which point the fans wished they had never bothered.

An established premier side and we should be after this season has so many advantages over the newly promoted teams,we are punching so much above our weight it is untrue and we can put ourselves into the position of being the biggest club in the midlands. If we really aim to be a top 6 side we need more than 32.5k crowds and it is not so much about the gate receipts but the advantage a noisy KP stadium can bring the club.

I still say converting some of the stadium to standing would be the best way to do this. Any area like this would almost certainly remain popular whatever our league position and ticket prices would be cheaper.

That's what we should be lobbying for as fans.

When Darlington built a wonderful new stadium 13 years ago most of the fans would have been thinking how good it was to have a massive new stadium with great facilities. They would have been dreaming about the club progressing to a new level and attracting record crowds. It wasn't long before that club had gone out of existence at which point the fans wished they had never bothered.

Difference being Darlington were never ever going to fill a 24k capacity stadium

When Darlington built a wonderful new stadium 13 years ago they hadn't been sitting on top of the Premier League for the best part of six months.

Why is it a "when"?

To be honest, is anyone even bothered? I bet Sheffield Wednesday fans can't stand it when Brighton fans brag about having a higher ground capacity filled then them on the Championship banter page on Facebook.

Hillsborough's a great example for me, in the sense that who gives a shit that they don't fill their stadium?

No one because their ground is amazing. I'd do anything to have a ground that nice.

Ours is sooooooooooooooooooo boring.

I still say converting some of the stadium to standing would be the best way to do this. Any area like this would almost certainly remain popular whatever our league position and ticket prices would be cheaper.

That's what we should be lobbying for as fans.

Agree with this though.

Hopefully one day they'll find a way to do both.

If you knew anything about Darlington, and more important George Reynolds - you'd know that their and our situation are absolute polar opposites. 

Absolutely no comparison.

Darlington has a population of 100,000 which is similar to Nuneaton. It has virtually no catchment area outside the town as Middlesbrough is 7 miles away to the east and Sunderland and Newcastle to the north. They built a stadium of 25,000 which was ludicrously ambitious.

Leicestershire has a population of almost one million and Leicester's support does already and can potentially even more spread into neighbouring counties. There is a small but significant Leicester support in towns outside of Leicestershire like Rugby, Nuneaton, Kettering, Wellingborough, etc.

Leicester already have demand outstripping supply so the Darlington comparison is ludicrous. Leicester would have to build a stadium of about 100,000 to compare with Darlington.

We're on about adding 8/10k seats... I'm not sure how that compares to that utter nonsense Darlington got themselves involved in. They didn't even have planning permission to fill the ground past 10,000 people. lol They were averaging under 4,000 in their last stadium... it boggles the mind what they were thinking. 

There wasn't even the demand to increase the stadium there, we on the other hand have the demand, we have the money and seemingly the only drawback is we might not fill it if we get relegated. Why on earth does that even matter.

....and as I've posted previously having a part empty ground if we got relegated would be way down the list of potential problems in fact it wouldn't even be problem other than appearances.

Quite often clubs will get big numbers after one or two premier league drains and then it quite a down a bit, if we sell out of season tickets for 2016/17 then yeah press on with expansion.

People need to remember that these 5,000-10,000 fans are going to be fickle so short term success isn't going to make a massive difference to long term fan base

im one of them fans who your calling fickle as you are my sons and daughter to, id love to be able to get a season ticket for us all but got no chance atm

....and as I've posted previously having a part empty ground if we got relegated would be way down the list of potential problems in fact it wouldn't even be problem other than appearances.

Most grounds in Europe aren't full.

I'd much rather us have a ground that was rarely full but allowed for our fan base expansion than to be constantly locking out fans who want to watch their team and stunting the growth of our future generation of supporters. It's worrying that watching Leicester City is now a closed shop and people can't take their kids.

Without debating the merits and stumbling blocks of a bigger stadium I'd like us to have a 50,000-60,000 capacity so that all who wanted to go could and fill the rest with school kids, etc. It's not practical I know but that would be ideal for me.

It seems unless every seat is filled every game a larger stadium is deemed unnecessary by most.  It's a uniquely british view.

Weird isn't it. I saw Fortuna Düsseldorf a couple of weeks ago, their ground is enormous  (55K), they're struggling in the second tier and the game I saw there was 20K max there. But no one was 'embarrassed' by the empty seats, they all took the stance of "well what happens if we get going and get to the top tier, then we'll fill the ground."

I guess we're too worried about having the away fans sing "your ground's too big for you hur hur hur" if we don't fill it. 

We're on about adding 8/10k seats... I'm not sure how that compares to that utter nonsense Darlington got themselves involved in. They didn't even have planning permission to fill the ground past 10,000 people. lol They were averaging under 4,000 in their last stadium... it boggles the mind what they were thinking. 

There wasn't even the demand to increase the stadium there, we on the other hand have the demand, we have the money and seemingly the only drawback is we might not fill it if we get relegated. Why on earth does that even matter.

I'm not comparing the 2 clubs. Darlington was obviously a very different club to Leicester. What I am suggesting is that at the time Darlington built their stadium most of the fans would have been happy about it as fans always want something that is bigger and better. I am not saying adding seats is definitely wrong but future consequences must be considered - it is easy for supporters to get carried away when they are on the crest of a wave.

Weird isn't it. I saw Fortuna Düsseldorf a couple of weeks ago, their ground is enormous  (55K), they're struggling in the second tier and the game I saw there was 20K max there. But no one was 'embarrassed' by the empty seats, they all took the stance of "well what happens if we get going and get to the top tier, then we'll fill the ground."

I guess we're too worried about having the away fans sing "your ground's too big for you hur hur hur" if we don't fill it. 

Fair enough if the supporters aren't bothered about 30,000 empty seats...but what about the money people? They can't be happy keeping a 55,000 seater running when they are only getting 25,000.

That's why I'm advocating the standing area idea. A lot of grounds on the continent look empty but there's always a hardcore section behind the goal in a full/mostly full end going for it, so a lack of fans in other areas doesn't affect the atmosphere.

That's why I'm advocating the standing area idea. A lot of grounds on the continent look empty but there's always a hardcore section behind the goal in a full/mostly full end going for it, so a lack of fans in other areas doesn't affect the atmosphere.

Standing could take years to become 'legal' and LCFC haven't even expressed anything positive in favour of the idea of standing in spite of many other PL & Champ clubs doing so.

Fair enough if the supporters aren't bothered about 30,000 empty seats...but what about the money people? They can't be happy keeping a 55,000 seater running when they are only getting 25,000.

Two sides were shut off, one touchline and one stand behind the goal, apart from the away section. No stewards or anything, I wouldn't think they paid anything significant and there was plenty of advertising hoardings etc on that side, so it pretty much paid for itself I'd have thought. 

Yeah, I'd have said at least 50% of the attendees were on the terrace behind the goal! 

I'd see what the ratio of standing to sitting is amongst match going fans and then convert sections of the stadium to safe standing accordingly. Like take the top quarter or third of the stands and make that safe standing all around.

It would also aid atmosphere as the noise is spread around and echos from the roof.

Archived