Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Martin O'Neill

O Neill with Walsh in the Robertson role and Shakespeare with them look a very good set up, we have a great back room set up too, only problem is if Pearson takes a job elsewhere would our coaches follow him?

That's something we would have to work out.  We could offer them all new individual contracts at the same time maybe?

For people thinking "never go back", aren't we all glad Nigel Pearson didn't subscribe to that thought process?

Pearson technically "had a job to finish" though in getting promoted to the Premier League. O'Neill guided us to top 10 finishes and three league cup finals, the only way he is going to top that is by winning the FA Cup.

I want progression and someone who will work well with this squad, not someone who will tear everything apart and try playing possession football. It won't work.

O'Neill will work well with this squad as it already has the togetherness, camaraderie and work ethic that he likes in a team. He also likes 3-5-2 and playing direct at times (people don't like to admit it, but we were very long-ball at times last season).

He would demand the respect of the squad instantly, I'm sure of it. He also shares something with Pearson, that air about him that players find infectious. So many times it was said during O'Neill's time here that the players would run through brick walls for him. This squad did that for Pearson and I'm confident they'd do it for O'Neill.

We have to accept the facts and realities of the squad and infrastructure we have in place currently. Can we really see a Hiddink, Di Matteo, Ranieri etc honestly working well within it?[/quote I like this post v much. Cant agree more. The past players we have since seen coming out and praising the club for its great spirit and togetherness. Colleymore Flowers etc. Both of MON era. Sounds v similar to what nige had going on

Excellent point, so while he was negative & down in the dumps as Villa sold his best players & a shitty atmosphere at Sunderland (Dick Advocaate never had a problem though, indicating MoN has lost his sparkle), he has actually has his work done for him by NP here & the whole team ethic, going the extra mile, 352, with pacey counter attacks is now our bread & butter so he could revert to that rather than the crap that has dogged his career recently

A return to similar surroundings (I'm aware we are not at Filbert St anymore before someone gets clever) may ignite his managerial career. Not sure I'd trust him with recruitment so the key would be keeping Walsh and co.

To be honest I just a manager so I can stop refreshing Foxestalk all day, I will probably be sacked before we announce a new manager.

The reality of these odds could be that he's been spotted with the owners, but perhaps as one of the five-man panel choosing the new manager?

they have no previous relationship with him that would make no sense?

Robertson was reported to have decided he didn't get along with modern footballers, said they are all arrogant and difficult to deal with, he was the link between MON and the players so decided that if he hated the players he couldn't continue in his role.

He was quoted as saying he didn't want to move from his midlands base..

The more I think about it, the more i think it would be a sensible appointment. he'll appreciate the team ethic and hard working nature of the squad and is certainly not adverse to 3 at the back. He's also a club legend so is probably on a very short list of managers that wouldn't have the boo boys on his back straight away due to sacking of Nigel. We could certainly do much much worse.

Not my first choice but I'd definitely take him over most of the other names being mentioned. The club and city would be lifted if he came back, just hope it doesn't tarnish his legacy for any reason. Lennon as his coach would be a good move too imo.

Not sure Lennon would give up the number 1 position at Bolton to become a number 2 here?

Personally I would prefer to try and bring MON in and keep the current backroom as my first choice.  But if that isn't possible MON and Lennon (if he would come) sounds good as well.

lol, people were calling him a 'legend' on here not so long ago; and now some think he's one of the worst contenders.

Maradona is a legend, wouldn't want him in the Barca team at the moment though.

Do you understand?

Was just thinking that Rowlatts, don't think he was our Manager when we moved to the Walkers/KP but couldn't remember....

He will get his 'sparkle' back after the dross he had to work with at Sunderland & Villa....

Up the City.....

Archived