Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Martin O'Neill

There aren't better options, we have had one season in the prem in over a decade, I can't believe people would turn their noses up at this. He will do a good job and I'm sure continue the work that Pearson had started.

Claudio "come and get me" Ranieri?

Is John Roberson coming with him? :ph34r:

Him and shakey do the training, Walshy bringing the players in, Martin the face of it all , picking the team and doing those motivational speeches at half time and getting all the plaudits.

I'd be up for that.

What position were Sunderland in when they sacked him? I know they had a horrible run of form but were they in serious danger of relegations. Lets remember, although the owners might be dreaming of top 10 finish etc but survival stills has to be the initial goal.

William Hill have suspended betting on Martin O'Neill to be the next Leicester City manager.

The bookmakers have watched O'Neill's odds tumble form 10-1 to 1-4 this morningicon1.png and suspended betting after several large four figure sums were wagered.

"There are some people out there who seem convinced that O'Neill is very close to getting the job if he hasn't accepted the role already," said William hill spokesman Joe Crilly.

It would be a remarkable return to City for O'Neill, who is currently the manager of the Republic of Ireland.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Bookie-suspends-bets-LCFC-manager-thousands/story-26877012-detail/story.html#ixzz3fUKV54uS 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Him and shakey do the training, Walshy bringing the players in, Martin the face of it all , picking the team and doing those motivational speeches at half time and getting all the plaudits.

I'd be up for that.

I'd wank for that scenario.

Why? Just because someone is a legend it doesn't mean they perform to that standard forever. Pretty simple.

Personally I'm optimistic but not thrilled with how this has gone. Obviously he was a legend for us but people can still have doubts about his current ability, it's not that tricky to grasp.

no  you compared someone who isnt physically able to play for Barca ever again to someone who is still very able to do the job. THAT is a bad analogy

What position were Sunderland in when they sacked him? I know they had a horrible run of form but were they in serious danger of relegations. Lets remember, although the owners might be dreaming of top 10 finish etc but survival stills has to be the initial goal.

13th place first season

Second season: Martin O'Neill was sacked by Sunderland on 30 March 2013 following a 1-0 defeat by Manchester United which left the team one point above the Premier League relegation zone with seven games left to play in the season. Sunderland had failed to secure victory in the eight matches leading up to O'Neill's departure, winning only three points out of a possible 24 during that spell.

Pearson type run. 

I for one am a big Pearson fan, but he is gone and out of all the bookies favourites I would only Choose O'neill. That is purely on the bookies list.

I do know that the Thai owners really like him but we have to see what happens.

For those saying he is a dinosaur or too old, 3 seasons ago he had Sunderland finish 13th with 45 points prior to this he had successive 6th place finished with Aston Villa - have a look at what a string of managers have done with those two clubs since... None have bettered what O'Neill did.

Not setting the world on fire with Ireland? The thing with international football is you can only pick from a certain number of players

When John O'Shea is the best defender available to you and you have a bunch of championship players in your squad and you can get a draw away to the world champions you're not doing to bad are you?

Add this to a draw with a decent polish outfit he isn't doing a terrible job - compare this with Hiddinks squad and results with the Dutch.

BBC Sport:

O'Neill for Leicester?

Football gossip

Posted at12:29
_84199011_asdfasd.jpg
Getty Images

Might we be getting a managerial appointment from Leicester Cityimminently?

Bookmakers William Hill have suspended betting on who will replace Nigel Pearson after a series of large, four-figure sums were placed on Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill returning to the club.

The more i think about it - The more i like it! The GOD years seem a long time ago after years of dross before Nig came in and he struggled at Sunderland too! But he's still God and i for one would be very pleased.

It fits in with the owners history of appointing managers too, who has been successful at the club before? Nig came back and was successful so there no reason god can't be!

For those saying he is a dinosaur or too old, 3 seasons ago he had Sunderland finish 13th with 45 points prior to this he had successive 6th place finished with Aston Villa - have a look at what a string of managers have done with those two clubs since... None have bettered what O'Neill did.

Not setting the world on fire with Ireland? The thing with international football is you can only pick from a certain number of players

When John O'Shea is the best defender available to you and you have a bunch of championship players in your squad and you can get a draw away to the world champions you're not doing to bad are you?

Add this to a draw with a decent polish outfit he isn't doing a terrible job - compare this with Hiddinks squad and results with the Dutch.

This

THIS ALL DAY LONG.

Not sure about O'Neill coming back. Obviously with the history, even as someone who was only 4-6 years old at the time, it's hard not to be even slightly excited at this possibility. I'd be more prepared to try this than some of the managers we have been linked with though. I think MON could stabilise us in the position we are in now but I'm unsure how much further he could take us now.

As for the Shakespeare and Walsh argument, I'd be much happier with the pair of them staying on, particularly Walsh. That stability from Pearson's regime would likely help the squad settle into new ideas under MON. I can see both leaving though, Shakespeare I'd say is more likely than Walsh as I think he has worked with Pearson for longer. I must say though, the thought of Lennon working alongside O'Neill, both in a coaching and management role, is also quite appealing. 

Why? Just because someone is a legend it doesn't mean they perform to that standard forever. Pretty simple.

Personally I'm optimistic but not thrilled with how this has gone. Obviously he was a legend for us but people can still have doubts about his current ability, it's not that tricky to grasp.

How can you compare having an international manager at the helm to having a fat 50 odd year old up front lol

Archived