Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Plaudits for our Atmosphere, let's keep it up

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 02:26, lee7 said:

I think I've already mentioned it in this thread (if not this one then definitely another) that Gary Neville commented on a photo a good while back of him playing right back for united at Anfield, in the back ground was several hundred scousers flicking him the V's and frothing at the mouth giving him abuse making it as intimidating as possible for him. Fast forward 10 years and near enough the same photo except with possibly Ashley young or Valencia as right back and in the background all you see is a load of tourists/fans taking photos on their phones. 

The game seems to have moved away from the more passionate fans and had a major influx of tourists. 

When I go to games I notice a lot of fans recording the game/chants rather than joining in or just constantly on their phones in general lol

People are entitled to show their support for the team in whatever way they wish afterall they're paying the money but it amazes me when people spend large chunks of the match glued to their phones in silence not even watching the game. 

How many fans inside the stadium are tourists though?  A small percentage.  The culture has died and I can't see how it will ever come back.   Not in England anyway.  Not enough people want it.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

How many fans inside the stadium are tourists though?  A small percentage.  The culture has died and I can't see how it will ever come back.   Not in England anyway.  Not enough people want it.

Yeah, I've never bought the tourist argument. A few half-half scarf nonces with their phones out at corners shouldn't bar thousands upon thousands of others in the same place from being able to create an atmosphere.

Handy excuse for English fans who can't be bothered to make an effort to change the current situation though.

• Like 1

I sat in J2 yesterday for the first time (next to the standers in J1/K1/L1)

I’ve noticed that a lot of people there just like to stand and only chant when something exciting is about to happen. Which to be fair they can be loud.

You could hear Union Fs majority of the game but they just need more numbers. People between G1 and J2 don’t sing they just clap. That’s the problem we have imo and why the atmosphere won’t improve. 

Also a shout out to the group in SK3/4 side of the KOP. I’ve never really heard you before but you could clearly hear you as well all game. The 15-20 lads at the back. Maybe they should consider moving to SK1, I was impressed with them.

Edited by LCFC FOX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

To be fair I probably didn't word my previous post entirely correctly. I meant just as much as I believe tourists are partly to blame (especially at bigger clubs like the top 4 for killing the atmosphere) regular fans who go week in and out but sit on their phones are even more to blame. 

My last post was not meant to be aimed entirely at tourists as I'm more than aware that they're a tiny minority :)

7 minutes ago, lee7 said:

To be fair I probably didn't word my previous post entirely correctly. I meant just as much as I believe tourists are partly to blame (especially at bigger clubs like the top 4 for killing the atmosphere) regular fans who go week in and out but sit on their phones are even more to blame. 

My last post was not meant to be aimed entirely at tourists as I'm more than aware that they're a tiny minority :)

I think you're correct, it's just one of many reasons for the poor atmosphere.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 02:26, lee7 said:

I think I've already mentioned it in this thread (if not this one then definitely another) that Gary Neville commented on a photo a good while back of him playing right back for united at Anfield, in the back ground was several hundred scousers flicking him the V's and frothing at the mouth giving him abuse making it as intimidating as possible for him. Fast forward 10 years and near enough the same photo except with possibly Ashley young or Valencia as right back and in the background all you see is a load of tourists/fans taking photos on their phones. 

The game seems to have moved away from the more passionate fans and had a major influx of tourists. 

When I go to games I notice a lot of fans recording the game/chants rather than joining in or just constantly on their phones in general lol

People are entitled to show their support for the team in whatever way they wish afterall they're paying the money but it amazes me when people spend large chunks of the match glued to their phones in silence not even watching the game. 

I thought it was mental how many people were recording the penalty shoot out.

• Like 2

Bloke in front of me stood up with his mrs, turned round so his back was facing the pitch, put their arms around each other and had a selfie in the last minute of extra time. Never seen anything like it at the football. 

Edited by adam
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, adam said:

Bloke in front of me stood up with his mrs, turned round so his back was facing the pitch, put their arms around each other and had a selfie in the last minute of extra time. Never seen anything like it at the football. 

Been old Trafford a few times with work and the place is full of em, selfie sticks everywhere

For those that wan't to see an improvement in the atmosphere, and going off the comments here there is a great number that do. There is a collective up in SK1 that sing throughout the 90 minutes. It gets highlighted that fro them to really grow they need numbers and like minded atmosphere keen guys up there with them. 

Organised support is a way to break away from the declining atmosphere's we see up and down the county, it just takes effort to get an atmosphere going not excuses.

Union FS are open with where they drink and are approachable for those wanting to get involved.

21 hours ago, Weller in Tights said:

This, the culture certainly seems to be dying if it's not already dead.

I personally find this really sad as I go to live football for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I've always enjoyed a good atmosphere, with rival fans having a real verbal go at each other.

I not only follow and support my local Leicester team which I have done now for 50 years, I also have attended international games and games abroad when I visit other cities (Ajax and FC Copenhagen for example). I see European fans taking the involvement of the crowd as an integral part of the game. Too many English fans now just sit quietly expecting entertainment.

it is quite Frankly quite boring. I understand if you're watching the game at home on the TV. Sit down, have a brew, enjoy the intricacies of the game. But surely part of going to a live game is actually being part of the whole experience by taking part in creating an atmosphere.

This is dead right.

I was discussing this with my son the other night while Everton Swansea was on.

The atmosphere was atriocious which is down in part I believe to the younger people being priced out of the game by Clubs or the PL. There has been a positive drive to make the game family and almost middle class orientated which in turn has affected the atmosphere in the stadia.

One of the biggest selling points of the PL worldwide previously along with the pace of the game played over here was the unique atmospheres. That aspect has now gone from many grounds and the actually football game is affected adversely whether it be live or watched on TV. 

Take away any meaningful crowd noise and you are likely to get a slower paced game; people don’t want to watch that.

Football without an atmosphere to me is not the same game; it becomes boring and loses the very ’feel’ and identity that has made it different from other sports.  That could spell problems for the English game long term. 

There is competition from abroad; one of which is America. I saw a clip of Portland or Seattle and it was absolutely mental behind the goal. Several Capo’s with drums, flares, smoke bombs the lot. it looked a great day out; an event. That’s is what we / the clubs should be striving for.

Switch to MNF and we have a virtually silent crowd where we can hear managers and coaches barking instructions to players on the pitch in a PL game. It was no different to the U23s at Holmes Park ffs.

The game here is on the way down a slippery slope that I believe will take many many years to get up, even if ‘the powers that be’ realise the error of their ways, and they that they are actually on said slope.

Thats downbeat but sadly I believe it’s reality.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, adam said:

Coz we're a massive club.