Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fridgechef

International Champions Cup

What tripe. 'Leicester have made it into the big time' says The Sun. The 'big time' is being top of the Premier League after 30 games, not receiving an invitation to a meaningless pre-season tournament. This is just a face-saving PR move from a desperate American billionaire who is second only to Adam Johnson in the '2016 negative media coverage' rankings.

we should decline. Treat it with disdain

Think someone makes a great point about a short summer. Several of our players will be off to Euro 2016 and Wes will be playing in the 2016 Copa America; the man who also played both the 2015 Copa America and CONCACAF Cup. I think this summer might be a hinderance, maybe in a pre-season where the summer isn't so truncated.

I'm surprised there's not a King Power Pre-Season Cup mooted. Get us and three other teams over to Bangkok. Potentially parading the champions in a pre-season tournament organised, marketed and branded with King Power. Wrap yourself even more around the club we are right now.

Two members of our squad have been convicted of assault, the moral implications of playing an overseas friendly tournament should hardly be our biggest concern. If the financial boost allow the club to reduce ticket prices, then we'll all be praising the fantastic generosity of our club and condemning clubs less well off on the pitch who aren't doing the same - we won't be complaining that we had to sell our soul by playing in some overseas tournament to fund it.

The revenue from the new TV deal alone is already more than enough to allow the Club to reduce ticket prices should they wish to. We don't need a pre-season trip to the US to allow us to do this. 

Yeah let's turn down an amazing opportunity to increase our brand worldwide glad you lot stick to playing FIFA.

Get the flights booked now

I don't really understand why this is such a priority for people. It's a sad state of affairs when supporters are worrying about how we can 'increase our brand'. 

I dunno why people are against this. If I can find the cash, I'm over there. How amazing would it be to take a few thousand Stateside, regardless of what it "means"?

I'm calling it now - we wouldn't have to buy any beers if we told the "soccer" fans where we were from, that's for sure!

Are we showing fear at the transformation of our little club? Maybe even the death and rebirth? Title winning and champions league will change us. Pre season tournaments like this are par for the elite course. Is it what we want.

Right. And I of course am not deluded enough to think that seeing a friendly in the US would be the same as going to a game in Leicester. Obviously one option is far greater than the other. But for those of us over here, this is something we probably never thought would even be an option.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up a out this. We are part of the biggest money go round in football being in the Premier League and taking the sky money that goes with it. I'm chuffed to bits if we are invited to such tournaments, not least of because it let's fans over their get to see them play(they know it's a friendly!) If the owners accept, I'll be right behind them just as I have all this time. I'm sure Claudio would have a say if he feels it's going to disrupt his preparations. COYB!

another viewpoint is that there is an assumption that this will be a one off. That we cannot qualify again for the CL. As I posted earlier, with so many new managers for the 'big clubs' and no doubt new players (plus the euros which knackers many of the best players) , perhaps there is an opportunity next season to cement our participation in the CL. The board may well decide that giving the squad the best chance in the PL/CL is a better long term approach re financial returns and brand awareness than participation in this tournament. Asia is a more lucrative place than the states for selling shirts. this tournament will be unlikely to be highly visible in Asia re time differences.

Taking a short term view, I'm for it but a long term one has us in Austria!

Well if you are going to host some poxy tournament you are going to want the biggest names.

They don't come much bigger than us worldwide at the present time.

We are the biggest thing in football so far this century.

Small club mentally...!

IF we have been invited and it suits our preseason, of course we should go ?

No brainier .

If that pr*ck hadn't of made his comments would people be so against it?

No but he did and I don't want our club appearing to tacitly accept it.

Just to underline where I stand I have absolutely no problem with the club doing preseason in the States, the Antarctic, on Mars, etc. as long as our sports science department can prepare the team correctly I don't give a flying fvck where they jet off to.  It has nothing to do with the USA for me other than that's where this tournament's being held and that's the nationality of the dickhead behind it all.

What is the right way, then?

EDIT: If you mean, we're not really seeing Leicester if they come out here because it's a meaningless friendly, so what? There are a few of us out here who are emotionally invested enough in the club to fly over (I have a handful of times), but not everyone has $1000+ RT to fly from the US to LHR, Birmingham, or Manchester, then train to Leicester, then even get tickets nowadays with how difficult that's becoming.

The more we get to see our club, the better.

Obviously not the best example, but let's translate this to a corporate example: I'm some publically-listed company, and I'm going to flat out tell my shareholders, no, we refuse to sell more even though the demand is out there. It's not because of capacity constraints or even exclusivity, it's just we have "too much pride" so we'll stay away. How would the market react?

As crude and unromantic as it is to say, our club is still a business and investment to Vichai and Top. It's not like they had a connection to Leicester before acquiring the club. They would be dumb to say no to more money.

Perhaps you're right in your implicit point that there's diminishing returns to publicity and money. But considering there's many who still don't know much about the club (even within England), branching out isn't a bad thing at all in concept.

Plus yes, I'm a biased American and I want to see us play out here and bring all my friends. Don't have as many friends willing to fly with me to London or Leicester to catch a match.

While I understand and completely agree with this point, personally with a young child at home and hopefully another one arriving within the next couple of years, this may be the only chance I have to see Leicester play in person for the next ten years or so. I am already planning a family vacation to come and do it the "right way," but this is a wonderful consolation for someone like me.

Well we appear to have a growing popularity stateside so a preseason tour of the States seems like an inevitability over the coming seasons if we maintain our status.  The glamour matches probably wouldn't be as feasible but surely you'd prefer getting to watch us pitted against a few MLS franchises and maintain our dignity than see us clash with Barcelona in a soulless money-spinning competition in which participation is essentially a big middle finger to any idea of solidarity with the other 14 Premier League clubs that this man wants to lock out of his super league?  I'd be surprised if this is our one and only shot at ever playing a game in the USA.

Oh and though I agree with the business analogy to a degree - clubs obviously need to engage in sound financial planning to retain their existence - to treat a football club as nothing more than that is to usher in the death of the sport.  The Srivadhannaprabha's seem to recognise that too judging by the way they've handled their ownership of the club and relationship with the fans to date.

Not sure when I said we sold our soul? I said he didn't deserve to be sacked and he didn't, I have an issue with the fickle nature of English football that makes one fearful of developing great attachments to the manager of their football club and encourages them to accept blindly the dismissal of a manager regardless of how successfully they're doing the job asked of them.

I do, also, have an issue with the influence money has on English football, the disparity between football clubs' potential based purely on their history and the desire to maintain elite clubs, but I'm not boycotting the Premier League, or Sky Sports, or BT, or equally responsible organizations and neither is my football club - while we're talking about hypocrisy it'd be a bit hypocritical to happily watch Sky Sports News yet get irate about a slightly more distant embodiment of the exact same problem.

Maybe not in so many words but it's the impression you gave.  I was as distraught as most everyone else at the loss of our most successful manager since MON but your general reaction at the time seemed to me like you were almost willing for us to fail so the club could be shown the error of its ways (obviously you wouldn't go that far, but impressions).

I'll happily enjoy Sky Sports if it's on somewhere and I regularly watch their coverage of matches but I've never given them a penny in my life (well maybe indirectly through frequenting pubs if you're counting that) and I don't intend on starting any time soon unless they drastically change their meddling approach to the game.

It will be good, give us a chance to taste what it will be like in the CL and gauge what we need to get in order to compete.

Fair comment.

Obviously the games will be fairly friendly, but good experience for Europe next year.

I said to the missus I might take in a few pre season matches in the summer as I am retiring, she said ok, (she's thinking Mansfield, Chesterfield etc) so I think we should go for it. Seize the opportunity to show the world that we are Leicester City, a fantastically well run club with great players and fantastic down to earth football loving supporters.

Stillitano is a willy puller! We can agree on that. But claiming that Manchester United invented football makes him an ignorant willy puller. He's a snake oils salesman who couldn't hack it in the MLS!! The MLS! Now he's just looking for a moneymaking scheme with this "super league" for his "irrelevent" sports company. Please just ignore him. He'll do nothing but "soccer tours" from now on.

Maybe not in so many words but it's the impression you gave.  I was as distraught as most everyone else at the loss of our most successful manager since MON but your general reaction at the time seemed to me like you were almost willing for us to fail so the club could be shown the error of its ways (obviously you wouldn't go that far, but impressions).

I'll happily enjoy Sky Sports if it's on somewhere and I regularly watch their coverage of matches but I've never given them a penny in my life (well maybe indirectly through frequenting pubs if you're counting that) and I don't intend on starting any time soon unless they drastically change their meddling approach to the game.

I'd have thought that it's pretty clear from my time posting on here that I wouldn't ever want the team or manager to fail or anything that affects the club negatively - it would require either not really reading what I post very carefully or willfully ignoring it for someone to suggest otherwise I would have thought. An ideal almost plausible situation for me after Pearson was sacked, would have been the owners selling the club in the summer and then everything that has happened happening. Don't think I ever really hid that my distaste was for the owners and I thought I'd made it quite clear at the time that I certainly don't equate that or negative predictions with a desire to see the club fail, but whatever.

Whether or not you would support Sky Sports, the fact is the club cooperate with them, and cooperate with the Premier League who again pretty clearly cooperate with them. And they're likely going to cooperate with these people regardless of whether any of us like it or not - but there are potentially tangible benefits for individual fans here and abroad and for the club in general. By and large we already accept (at least to the extent that we don't stop going) association with distasteful people, I can't really see how participating in one tournament in the States piles too much on to be honest.

Have we actually started to refer to our football club as 'the brand'?  It was cringeworthy when club directors and owners of Chelsea and United started doing that 10 odd years ago. To hear our fans using that kind of language is strange and unnerving.

I'd have thought that it's pretty clear from my time posting on here that I wouldn't ever want the team or manager to fail or anything that affects the club negatively - it would require either not really reading what I post very carefully or willfully ignoring it for someone to suggest otherwise I would have thought. An ideal almost plausible situation for me after Pearson was sacked, would have been the owners selling the club in the summer and then everything that has happened happening. Don't think I ever really hid that my distaste was for the owners and I thought I'd made it quite clear at the time that I certainly don't equate that or negative predictions with a desire to see the club fail, but whatever.

I say as much in the post you quoted.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record you can't exactly claim that the prediction we'd finish bottom was the result of logical analysis though can you? :D

Whether or not you would support Sky Sports, the fact is the club cooperate with them, and cooperate with the Premier League who again pretty clearly cooperate with them. And they're likely going to cooperate with these people regardless of whether any of us like it or not - but there are potentially tangible benefits for individual fans here and abroad and for the club in general. By and large we already accept (at least to the extent that we don't stop going) association with distasteful people, I can't really see how participating in one tournament in the States piles too much on to be honest.

It's not about participating in one tournament in the states, it's about the message it sends to the rest of the fans in the Premier League, indeed in the football league system if we decide to get in bed with the man who recently made a pathetic attempt at justifying the insulting idea of a breakaway super league using rhetoric that offended pretty much everyone who cares about the sport and namedropping us as undeserving limelight thieves living off Man Utd's success in the process.

Why should our success in a meritocratic system be used to sell tickets and line the pockets of a man trying to prevent the very sort of accomplishment we represent?  It's ludicrous.

I say as much in the post you quoted.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record you can't exactly claim that the prediction we'd finish bottom was the result of logical analysis though can you? :D

Logically speaking I was much more sensible than the nutjobs putting money on us to win the league. :P

Pre-season tour of the US? sure, go for it.

With the ICC? no. They don't see football as a sport, they see it as a business.

This Bob Dylan lyric sums it all up perfectly:

You've got a lot of nerve to say you are my friend,

When I was down, you just stood there grinning.

You've got a lot of nerve to say you've got a helping hand to lend,

You just want to be on the side that's winning.

(The song's called Positively 4th Street)

If these plotters had their way, what Leicester have achieved this season would no longer be possible. They want to use a special formula for Champions League qualification that takes into account not only domestic league position, but also financial standing and past success. It would suck all life out of the Premier League.

But fortunately:

1) Leicester's amazing fairy tale run has shown the world just what is at stake at just the right time. 

2) Even the big clubs realise that if the integrity of the Premier League were jeopardized, the billion pound global TV deals would be under threat.

So the breakaway is very unlikely to happen. All they have left to cling to is their poxy pre-season kick-about, and a couple of well-placed journalists to do their bidding.  

They deserve only our contempt and ridicule, perhaps best expressed in the traditional Leicester way... (we now go live to the Kop as the opposition keeper prepares to take a goal kick...)

Archived