Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Premier League Season 2016-17 Stuff it in here.

9 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Whatever positive, optimistic spin you want to put on it, the fact remains:

We. Are. Not. Yet. Safe.

Mathematically not yet but 1 win should do it. Hardly worthy of pressing the panic button.

We are currently down to 14th but if we beat Arsenal we go 10th. If we draw we go 12th.

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'm pessimistic as fvck but calm down, we're safe.

Even with Swansea's win today we're still 6 points clear of them and their next two games are Manchester United and Everton. 

Swansea fixtures are:

Man Utd (a)

Everton (h)

Sunderland (a)

West Brom (h)

I could easily see them winning their last three especially as all the last three might have the proverbial flip flops on at the time. That would give them 40pts if they win three from those four.

I don't think we'll go down either but we're certainly not quite safe yet.

Just now, Gerard said:

Swansea fixtures are:

Man Utd (a)

Everton (h)

Sunderland (a)

West Brom (h)

I could easily see them winning their last three especially as all the last three might have the proverbial flip flops on at the time. That would give them 40pts if they win three from those four.

I don't think we'll go down either but we're certainly not quite safe yet.

Yeah and we've got Bournemouth (h), Watford (h).... both very winnable and you could even thrown WBA (a) into that too. 

Middlesbrough and Sunderland are going. It'll be Hull or Swansea that join them.

3 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Those panicking need to calm down.

Swansea average 1 win every 3.77 games and a draw every 8.5 games. Given that they need 2 wins and 1 draw from their 4 remaining games to finish above us I think it's highly unlikely that they can catch us. Assuming they beat Sunderland away and WBA at home they'll need 1 point from either Utd at Old Trafford or Everton at home, whilst also needing us to lose 6 games straight (something we've not done all season). 

If we pick up just 2 points from our remaining 6 games, that'll require Swansea to win 3 of their remaining 4 games.

Furthermore assuming Swansea somehow pull off a miracle, the 3 teams between us and Swansea will also have to better our results between now and the season end.

Whilst it's not impossible that we could be relegated I do think we're pretty much safe now.

Yes, it's highly unlikely that we will go down, and we may indeed have enough points already, but the way the fixtures fall (for both us and the teams below us), and given our appalling away form, nothing can be taken for granted. I hope the players do not show the same complacency as some on here. We still have work to do.

3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I hope the players do not show the same complacency as some on here. We still have work to do.

It will be interesting to see if "playing Shakespeare in" provides an incentive to stay off the beach.

I just cannot be worried. This is a side who won the league who, minus a couple of results where we dropped points due to it being around two of our biggest ever games, look themselves again. If we go down from here, something has gone horribly wrong.

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah and we've got Bournemouth (h), Watford (h).... both very winnable and you could even thrown WBA (a) into that too. 

Middlesbrough and Sunderland are going. It'll be Hull or Swansea that join them.

Our chances of going down are slim but they aren't zero.

We can't go into May unfocused and assuming we'll be fine, strange results happen at this time of the season. Both Hull and Swansea have Sunderland to play so assuming they win those then we'll only be 1pt ahead of Hull and 3pts ahead of Swansea.

No one is panicking but it's important we realise we still need to get some results and we still have Tottenham (h), Man City (a) and Arsenal (a). I don't want to be playing Watford and Bournemouth at home assuming we'll get a result if we need to.

6 minutes ago, KingsX said:

It will be interesting to see if "playing Shakespeare in" provides an incentive to stay off the beach.

I'd say that ensuring our survival in the Premier League should be incentive enough to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Yes, it's highly unlikely that we will go down, and we may indeed have enough points already, but the way the fixtures fall (for both us and the teams below us), and given our appalling away form, nothing can be taken for granted. I hope the players do not show the same complacency as some on here. We still have work to do.

How have the fixtures fallen badly for us? 

We need 3 pts and have 2 very winnable home games, with our final game of the season being at home should push come to shove.

Also, I'd be far more concerned if I was a fan of either West Ham or Palace. West Ham's run-in is brutal based on form and they're only 1 point ahead of us.

Swansea and hull both possible had their most winnable games of their run in today. They both won - shock!

In any case - Some of you need to chill out a bit. We are going to steam through our run in - I expect at least three wins. The players will relish Arsenal, citeh and Spurs after the season they have endured.

9 minutes ago, Corky said:

Shakespeare has spoken about not being safe yet, the players seem switched on and have coped with pressure before, it is still firmly in our hands but being aware is the best thing to be.

That's another reason I'm confident. I can't see him allowing any complacency.

Just now, ian_marshall said:

How have the fixtures fallen badly for us? 

We need 3 pts and have 2 very winnable home games, with our final game of the season being at home should push vm come to shove.

Also, I'd be far more concerned if I was a fan of either West Ham or Palace. West Ham's run-in is brutal based on form and they're only 1 point ahead of us.

The fact that our next two games are away from home.

If we were playing Watford and/or Bournemouth at home next, the situation would be much more favourable.

I don't even want to consider that Bournemouth game on the final day because if it goes down to that, nerves would be so shredded that anything could happen.

Let's just get the job done asap.

Looking upwards rather than down and given our games in hand, am I right in thinking that as United won the League Cup, should they finish 5th, and also win the Europa League, with one of Chelsea, Tottenham, or Liverpool winning the FA Cup (assuming they finish top 4), 8th place will go into the Europa League qualifiers?

1 hour ago, Fox 4 Life said:

We are playing them on weds, why would that have any bearing?

Hopefully they'll  be distracted by the thought of being in and wanting to play in the fa cup final

We need 3 more points from 18 and for Hull and Swans to go on a run. 1 win or 3 draws will do it. Would take quite a pessimist to predict against this and if the worst happened we'd deserve it. Imagine if we hadn't had the 5 win streak through! 

2 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Looking upwards rather than down and given our games in hand, am I right in thinking that as United won the League Cup, should they finish 5th, and also win the Europa League, with one of Chelsea, Tottenham, or Liverpool winning the FA Cup (assuming they finish top 4), 8th place will go into the Europa League qualifiers?

No. England has seven teams in Europe maximum. If there are five in the CL (with United winning the EL), we get just two in the EL. Like Spain this season.

Not worried, Swansea and Hull have 4 games remaining to our 6.

Man Utd v's Swansea

Swansea v's Everton

Sunderland v's Swansea

Swansea v's WBA

Southampton v's Hull

Hull v's Sunderland

Crystal Palace v's Hull

Hull v's Tottenham

Looks to me like Swansea are the ones who will take the plunge.

Archived