Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes161

Jamie Vardy agrees new four year contract at Leicester City.

The FA not too happy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/23/jamie-vardy-england-contract-football-association-unimpressed

Jamie Vardy

Jamie Vardy’s contract news leaves Football Association unimpressed

• Striker insisted focus was on England’s Euro campaign despite Arsenal interest

• Vardy’s weekly wage likely to rise to nearer £100,000 from £70,000

Dominic Fifield in Chantilly

@domfifield

Thursday 23 June 2016 22.30 BST Last modified on Friday 24 June 2016 00.35 BST

The Football Association has been left unimpressed by the news Jamie Vardy has agreed a new four-year contract at Leicester City five days after the striker stated publicly his focus would remain solely on England during Euro 2016.

The Premier League champions announced on Thursday that Vardy, whose 24 goals were key to Claudio Ranieri’s side claiming the title last season, had opted to stay despite Arsenal having triggered the £22m release clause in his contract at the start of the month. The London club held discussions with Vardy before the national side’s departure for France but, in the period of silence which followed, Arsène Wenger had resigned himself to the forward being unlikely to join Arsenal.

England, who have barred agents from the team hotel here, had been well aware of the state of flux surrounding the 29-year-old’s future. But having granted Vardy leave to miss the friendly against Australia just before the tournament for his wedding, England had been assured by the player any decision over his future would be delayed until the side’s participation at the European Championship was completed.

Vardy stated as much as recently as last Saturday. “There is only one thing I want to do here and that is play football to the best of my ability,” he said. “If I let things start distracting me I’m not going to be able to do that, which will jeopardise the team as well. So everything has been completely blanked out except for England, England, England.”

There was therefore surprise within the England camp when Leicester City announced agreement had been reached in principle over an improved deal. Although his previous deal was signed only in February and runs to 2019, the new contract will see Vardy’s weekly wage rise from £70,000 to nearer £100,000. Arsenal had been prepared to pay closer to £125,000 a week.

“Leicester City have agreed with the representatives of Jamie Vardy to extend the England international’s contract with the Premier League champions for a further four years,” said the club in a statement posted on their website. “Both parties hope that this announcement will end recent speculation regarding Jamie’s future and confirm his long-term commitment to Leicester City Football Club.

“Jamie will continue to focus all of his efforts on trying to achieve success with the England team at the European Championships in France. There will be no further comment from either the club or the player on this matter until the conclusion of the tournament.”

Vardy started the goalless draw with Slovakia on Monday, which left England second in Group B but faces a fight to be included in the starting lineup for Monday’s last-16 fixture with Iceland, with Harry Kane expected to earn a recall.

Leicester will be delighted the Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year – who scored his fourth goal for his country in England’s 2-1 victory over Wales – has agreed to stay and hope his decision to reject the opportunity to join Arsenal strengthens their chances of retaining two other leading players, N’Golo Kanté and Riyad Mahrez, before the club’s first foray into the Champions League next season.

Both players are on long-term deals but, with no shortage of suitors after last season’s success, have indicated they will make decisions on their future over the summer.

Vardy will sign his new deal once England return from the tournament. It appears he feels he has unfinished business at Leicester, the club he joined from Fleetwood Town for £1m four years ago, and perhaps harbours a sense of loyalty to his team-mates and Ranieri, the manager, who had been active in attempting to dissuade him from joining Arsenal.

Confirmation of the contract represents a blow to Wenger, whose interest has gone the same way as that in Luis Suárez three years ago, when the London club triggered a similar clause in the Uruguayan’s contract with Liverpool. They could switch their attentions back to Álvaro Morata, who had been under consideration, though Real Madrid are in talks with Chelsea over the striker’s future just days after he rejoined Real from Juventus.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10323431/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-wishes-leicester8217s-jamie-vardy-good-luck

Arsene Wenger says he respects Jamie Vardy's decision to reject Arsenal to remain at Leicester and has wished the England forward good luck in the future.

The Gunners had been hoping to secure the signing of the 29-year-old this summer after activating his £20m release clause.

But on Wednesday it was announced Vardy, who scored 24 times last season as Leicester were crowned Premier League champions, had agreed a new four-year contract with the Foxes and would sign the deal following the conclusion of Euro 2016

"I think Leicester have made a statement and Vardy will stay. We were on the case and interested, but not more than that," Wenger told beIN Sports.

"He has decided to stay at Leicester and good luck to him.

"He came late to the game and in fairness Leicester bought him from Fleetwood and he has been successful. He is 29 and he has chosen to stay at Leicester. You have to respect that."

Wenger also refused to rule out a move for Vardy's Leicester team-mate N'Golo Kante, who is currently away on international duty with France at Euro 2016. 

Kante enjoyed a sensational debut season at Leicester after signing last summer from Caen, making 37 appearances and scoring once during their title winning campaign

"It is very difficult to talk about that at the moment," Wenger added. "Kante is on the list of many clubs. It is an area where we have many players.

"We will see what happens in the next two or three weeks. It looks like Leicester have bought a player from Nice [Nampalys Mendy] with similar qualities to Kante, so whether they envisage to lose him or not I don't know.

"If you ask 100 people in the street if they want Kante to play [for France] you will get 100 saying yes. He has done the job in one or two games and I am not surprised.

"I said two months ago this boy will play the whole European Championship. We know him well from Leicester now and I am not surprised that he is starting. He has been one of the revelations of the French team."

The FA not too happy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/23/jamie-vardy-england-contract-football-association-unimpressed

Jamie Vardy

Jamie Vardy’s contract news leaves Football Association unimpressed

• Striker insisted focus was on England’s Euro campaign despite Arsenal interest

• Vardy’s weekly wage likely to rise to nearer £100,000 from £70,000

Dominic Fifield in Chantilly

@domfifield

Thursday 23 June 2016 22.30 BST Last modified on Friday 24 June 2016 00.35 BST

The Football Association has been left unimpressed by the news Jamie Vardy has agreed a new four-year contract at Leicester City five days after the striker stated publicly his focus would remain solely on England during Euro 2016.

The Premier League champions announced on Thursday that Vardy, whose 24 goals were key to Claudio Ranieri’s side claiming the title last season, had opted to stay despite Arsenal having triggered the £22m release clause in his contract at the start of the month. The London club held discussions with Vardy before the national side’s departure for France but, in the period of silence which followed, Arsène Wenger had resigned himself to the forward being unlikely to join Arsenal.

England, who have barred agents from the team hotel here, had been well aware of the state of flux surrounding the 29-year-old’s future. But having granted Vardy leave to miss the friendly against Australia just before the tournament for his wedding, England had been assured by the player any decision over his future would be delayed until the side’s participation at the European Championship was completed.

Vardy stated as much as recently as last Saturday. “There is only one thing I want to do here and that is play football to the best of my ability,” he said. “If I let things start distracting me I’m not going to be able to do that, which will jeopardise the team as well. So everything has been completely blanked out except for England, England, England.”

There was therefore surprise within the England camp when Leicester City announced agreement had been reached in principle over an improved deal. Although his previous deal was signed only in February and runs to 2019, the new contract will see Vardy’s weekly wage rise from £70,000 to nearer £100,000. Arsenal had been prepared to pay closer to £125,000 a week.

“Leicester City have agreed with the representatives of Jamie Vardy to extend the England international’s contract with the Premier League champions for a further four years,” said the club in a statement posted on their website. “Both parties hope that this announcement will end recent speculation regarding Jamie’s future and confirm his long-term commitment to Leicester City Football Club.

“Jamie will continue to focus all of his efforts on trying to achieve success with the England team at the European Championships in France. There will be no further comment from either the club or the player on this matter until the conclusion of the tournament.”

Vardy started the goalless draw with Slovakia on Monday, which left England second in Group B but faces a fight to be included in the starting lineup for Monday’s last-16 fixture with Iceland, with Harry Kane expected to earn a recall.

Leicester will be delighted the Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year – who scored his fourth goal for his country in England’s 2-1 victory over Wales – has agreed to stay and hope his decision to reject the opportunity to join Arsenal strengthens their chances of retaining two other leading players, N’Golo Kanté and Riyad Mahrez, before the club’s first foray into the Champions League next season.

Both players are on long-term deals but, with no shortage of suitors after last season’s success, have indicated they will make decisions on their future over the summer.

Vardy will sign his new deal once England return from the tournament. It appears he feels he has unfinished business at Leicester, the club he joined from Fleetwood Town for £1m four years ago, and perhaps harbours a sense of loyalty to his team-mates and Ranieri, the manager, who had been active in attempting to dissuade him from joining Arsenal.

Confirmation of the contract represents a blow to Wenger, whose interest has gone the same way as that in Luis Suárez three years ago, when the London club triggered a similar clause in the Uruguayan’s contract with Liverpool. They could switch their attentions back to Álvaro Morata, who had been under consideration, though Real Madrid are in talks with Chelsea over the striker’s future just days after he rejoined Real from Juventus.

It's none of the FA's business what JV does. They do not pay him. If they are so bothered about it being a 'distraction' now the situation is clarified there is no distraction any more. If the story were true, they would be satisfied that it is sorted and he can concentrate on the Euros.

If the FA wish to be annoyed, it's Arsene Wenger for putting the bid in days before the Euros started.

I understand @@vardy7 decision to stay was based on optimism about what #lcfc squad can still achieve and scepticism about #afc style of play

@@vardy7 feared he could've been played on wing for #afc but also feels #lcfc can mount solid defence of Prem title, and do well in Champs Lg

Would the FA have said the same if it was a Rooney or a Kane committing to their club whilst on international duty. I'm doubtful

I can't believe Woy ...   he's an absolute t*sser ...  surely this is better for England and how he thinks he can moan about someone trying to sort their life out is beyond me ...     further proof the clueless cvnt has to go ...

Shame on the release clause - whomever put it there, you're the source of all the upheaval.

Shame on Arsenal for triggering the clause - and for causing quite the ruckus in the past few weeks on both our and the Gunners' fanbase side.

In a way you've got to criticize Vardy for not making a clear-cut statement earlier (before the start of the tournament) or for not coming to an agreement before the tournament.

As for his wife, I don't think her outcries on Social Media nor her television appearances helped the cause. She could've just as well kept a low profile and let business be business, but somehow, she just had to throw herself into the mix - even though she claimed otherwise. Which makes it look rather desperate.

(I'm glad I'm not on Twitter)

I sort of see your point MC but some of the behaviour and abuse was moronic, unforgivable and inexcusable.

I just hope their Mummies and Daddies find out and confiscate their access to the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived