Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Should we keep Ranieri as manager?

Do you want to keep Ranieri as manager?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Ranieri as manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Shouldn't really be spoken about ..

Keep him ,give him a transfer window.He is owed that much? 

But we really need to change shape? 

We signed a lot of players over the summer , none of which played in a 442? From those signings None have performed at all consistently..

All about the shape!

( please change it before it becomes too late)

2 hours ago, Danizen said:

This annoys me as well. Let's judge Pearson by the season he was actually managing us where he finished 14th not the season after when almost the same group of players won the league.

Pearson put together 90% of the squad and backroom and deserves a lot of credit but saying it was all down to him is crazy. I really hope the people who are saying that are taking the piss. 

Pearson was managing in the PL for the first time had Nugent and Konchesky, not Kantè and Okazaki in his team. Yes it took a while but he still managed to get that team in better form than most of Europe in the last 12 or so games. Think about that for a second mate.

16 minutes ago, NeilLCFC said:

Pearson was managing in the PL for the first time had Nugent and Konchesky, not Kantè and Okazaki in his team. Yes it took a while but he still managed to get that team in better form than most of Europe in the last 12 or so games. Think about that for a second mate.

Even though it was with the infrastructure put together with Pearson, from 14th to 1st is quite a leap. One which nobody would have expected Pearson to come close to, and one which he probably wouldn't have come close to.

That said, if we'd known we would be where we are now at the end of 2014/15, then in terms of performances and league position we'd have been very disappointed with 16th. Add to that the fact that expectations change according to circumstances, and our circumstances were that we'd won the league and had the chance to attract players who we normally wouldn't have been able to, and you have to concede that Ranieri's second season has been extremely poor. It's been like a case study in mismanagement at times.

And yeah, obviously it's daft for people to make isolated, out-of-context comparisons like 'with Pearson we were 14th / bottom for ages' / 'with Ranieri we won the league'. It ignores everything Pearson achieved before that, and the part he played in what happened afterwards. But the winner's medal was still Ranieri's.

41 minutes ago, RizLCFC said:

IF he was to go I'd be after David Wagner of Huddersfield or Julian Nagelsmann of Hoffenheim.

A young manager with a plan is what I would go for too. Rather than the same route of looking down the usual candidates. A builder who sets about improving the club each year

1 hour ago, RizLCFC said:

IF he was to go I'd be after David Wagner of Huddersfield or Julian Nagelsmann of Hoffenheim.

Thats a fair shout to be fair although why he would leave them for us would be beyond me...

Will the owners want an experienced premier league manager though to steady the ship?

I'd happily see him moved on, did fantastic last year, but you can already see the same things happening that have happened at his previous clubs after success. 

I'd probably give the job to Shakespeare temporayily and spend some quality time sounding out potential replacements. We want a manager who has a plan to continually improve the club and team. I've never felt the club has been more secure than when Pearson was in charge. I'd love us to get another manager who wants to build an impressive back room staff and leave no stone unturned in trying to get an extra % of performance out of their squad.

Back to Ranieri, I think that as soon as you find yourself baffled or questioning a managers decisions on a weekly/game by game basis, it only seems like a matter of time before they will be gone.

A small part of me would love to see if the board think Rowett is a viable long term candidate, he's not got top level experience, so you wonder if he'd have the contacts or nouse to manage at this level just yet. I don't think there's a better English manager out of work at the minute though.

Other than that, i'd be tempted to see if we could persuage Wagner from Huddersfield or the fella from Hoffenheim. Another two young managers who seem to be doing fairly well in their early years.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd happily see him moved on, did fantastic last year, but you can already see the same things happening that have happened at his previous clubs after success. 

I'd probably give the job to Shakespeare temporayily and spend some quality time sounding out potential replacements. We want a manager who has a plan to continually improve the club and team. I've never felt the club has been more secure than when Pearson was in charge. I'd love us to get another manager who wants to build an impressive back room staff and leave no stone unturned in trying to get an extra % of performance out of their squad.

Back to Ranieri, I think that as soon as you find yourself baffled or questioning a managers decisions on a weekly/game by game basis, it only seems like a matter of time before they will be gone.

A small part of me would love to see if the board think Rowett is a viable long term candidate, he's not got top level experience, so you wonder if he'd have the contacts or nouse to manage at this level just yet. I don't think there's a better English manager out of work at the minute though.

Other than that, i'd be tempted to see if we could persuage Wagner from Huddersfield or the fella from Hoffenheim. Another two young managers who seem to be doing fairly well in their early years.

I will agree with pretty much everything in this but i will also say that Pearson used to frustrate the crap out of alot of people with some team selections and tactics and  odd substitutions...

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

I will agree with pretty much everything in this but i will also say that Pearson used to frustrate the crap out of alot of people with some team selections and tactics and  odd substitutions...

When I wrote this I did think back to some of Pearson's stubborn tactics where you just wondered why he wouldn't switch it up.

I was willing to give him more the benefit of the doubt as there always seemed to be something good happening in the bigger picture.

At the minute, I have very little idea of what our plan or aspirations are, it's the first time in a long time that I've not felt the club is running at it's optimum. I will say, I think this is bigger than Ranieri and it's more than just him who should be worrying for their job.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

When I wrote this I did think back to some of Pearson's stubborn tactics where you just wondered why he wouldn't switch it up.

I was willing to give him more the benefit of the doubt as there always seemed to be something good happening in the bigger picture.

At the minute, I have very little idea of what our plan or aspirations are, it's the first time in a long time that I've not felt the club is running at it's optimum. I will say, I think this is bigger than Ranieri and it's more than just him who should be worrying for their job.

Right now i am to the point where i will support any decision the owners want to make... but come the end of feb, if we are still in this position i might be calling  for his head...

5 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Relegation candidates look like they're in the bottom 3 for once. If the league table doesn't lie then we're not going down lol I understand that the way we're performing is getting us dragged into it but we're comfortably better than Hull, Sunderland, Swansea and probably others, and we look like we have a lot more room for improvement than some of the others down there. 

You're deluded if you think genuinely we are comfortably better than them. Swansea perhaps but we lost to the other two. I think currently we are a very poor side sadly.

Agreed that our signings have not been that great under Ranieri but not let us to forget we had been monitoring Slimani and Musa long before Ranieri was even talked about. Blaming him for all the dismal performances is just nonsense. I remember people on here swearing that Pearson was just so unlucky when times were tough 2 seasons ago. He was doing what he could with a crap squad. All was forgotten after the Great Escape and became a saint. Now when things aren't looking so good for Ranieri many on here will not allow him the same judgement. One understands that after winning the league we should be in a stronger position. Complete agreement but life and football is not what you always want to be. Things happen. So before you are so ready to throw out the baby with the dirty water so soon, please remember all the excuses you made for Pearson. Allow some form of fairness in your judgement and critism. I for one learnt a valuable lesson when Pearson was having such a valuable lesson. I was one too critize too soon as now history is known. For all those who still give Pearson most credit for our success last season. Please remember the job he had done at Derby early this season. Nothing to write home about. That's my say and I just want to say a very Happy New Year to all Leicester fans around the world. 

I'd certainly be sitting him down and having a very detailed discussion about what his strategy for getting us out of this mess is. We haven't had a significant change in tactics, formation or personnel throughout this entire dismal run, unless it was enforced by suspensions or injury. What he has done earned him massive credit but relegation cannot be countenanced and if his plan for the rest of the season is to keep the same shape and players and hope it comes good, I would not find that acceptable.

2 hours ago, RizLCFC said:

I'd go for Rowett over either of those pair but still think if Claudio was to leave (I don't want him to) we should aim higher. All this talk of binning and replacing really does bring to the fore what a bloody good job Southampton have done for the past few years. 

6 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I'd go for Rowett over either of those pair but still think if Claudio was to leave (I don't want him to) we should aim higher. All this talk of binning and replacing really does bring to the fore what a bloody good job Southampton have done for the past few years. 

Absolutely, they've got a framework they work to and bring in managers who will work to that.

If he was to go then I really don't know who would replace him. I rate Rowett too but can't imagine for a second that he has the profile the Thais are looking for. I don't think Wagner would either. 

I could see them making a play for LVG / Roberto Mancini / Capello or someone of that ilk. Not that they'd be many people's first choices.

I'm not even going to play devils advocate on this one.

Claudio has to go.

He's the first to admit that everything went right for us last season and if things continue we're down it's simple.

Let me ask those that say it's too early to sack him...when is the right time to sack him?

8 minutes ago, Head Honcho said:

I'm not even going to play devils advocate on this one.

Claudio has to go.

He's the first to admit that everything went right for us last season and if things continue we're down it's simple.

Let me ask those that say it's too early to sack him...when is the right time to sack him?

I'll play devil's advocate.

he might argue that this will be the first transfer window where he has in place a scouting network that is in tune with his philosophy and what HE is lookin for in a player . So really end of feb will probably

give us enough time to assess any editions to the squad... after that, there can't be a single excuse left surely?

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

I'll play devil's advocate.

he might argue that this will be the first transfer window where he has in place a scouting network that is in tune with his philosophy and what HE is lookin for in a player . So really end of feb will probably

give us enough time to assess any editions to the squad... after that, there can't be a single excuse left surely?

Last game in Feb Liverpool at home.

At least our last twelve games looks easier that our first twelve but six or seven of the teams we will play will be in the same position as us.

Our position as champions will be all the incentive they need!

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Why is this even being discussed... we'd 'correctly' be seen as the biggest judas club that ever existed

he sees out his contract for what he's achieved 

1. Because people are paying hard earned money to watch crap football by ( apparently ) uninterested/ unmotivated players.

2. Because relegation is a real fear for some

3. Because if the issues are not addressed  soon some people fear it would follow us into next season which could be catastrophic if relegated.

4. Because the owners have invested a hell of alot of money into us and relgation could do untold damge to their involvment to us and potentially lead to a Portsmouth situation

5 Because  we have players on more than double what they were last season and realistically who will make a big money offer for some of them seeing as how they are in their 30s now which means relegation could be much more damaging than if we were relegated last season or the year before.

Im sure there's more reasons...

26 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Why is this even being discussed... we'd 'correctly' be seen as the biggest judas club that ever existed

he sees out his contract for what he's achieved 

So if we were to get relegated which isn't unlikely, he still keeps his job? 

I'd be very surprised if fans who are saying he sees out the contract on his own terms keep that view point if we are in or around the bottom three come the end of January. You can't seriously place Ranieri higher than the ambitions of the club. Man City not too long ago were a mid table/relegation fighting football club. Chelsea pre Ken Bates were nothing special. Arsenal finished mid table before Wenger came in and United were fighting relegation in Ferguson's first few years. With the financial backing we have the long term ambition should be to "do a Man City". Why would following the QPR route satisfy you? I don't get it. Ranieri would be out the door if one of the current big four came in for him (and right on to do so -it's called ambition), so why is anyone placed above the club? 

I am not saying we should be challenging for the league this year but our poor performances and defeats are coming against teams we should be competing with - we are not. Half a season is no longer a bad run, it's a habit.

Firstly I don't want Claudio to go. I think we're a club that's going through transition and he's too good a coach to see us get relegated. 

Hear me out on this one, but I've given our predicament some thought and I'm certain he'll turn it around. In fact I'll go as far as to say I'm not sure he was overly convinced by the technical ability of some of Pearson's players when he took on the job and probably had players that he would have liked to bring in. I suspect that Walsh and Shakespeare pointed out to him that the boys were high on confidence following the great escape and persuaded him to take a step back from wholesale change and reassess in Jan 16. As it happened the boys surpassed everyone's expectations and were around the top spots going into the new year so any plans to change things drastically would have been both damaging to our title chances and ridiculed by the masses. 

Having won the league, Claudio faced the biggest challenge of any manager in the league. On one count he needed to improve the depth of the squad, on another he needed to try and keep the better players at the club and out of the hands of the teams that competed directly with us last season whilst keeping the wage bill to a reasonable level, and on another front he had a PR battle on his hands having to be seen by the fans to keep and reward a team that had created history performing beyond anyone's expectations.

All of the above hindered his ability to bring in some world class players. Imagine the problems this would have created had the club gone out on a limb and added some real quality. Player's who had just won the league having their noses put out of joint knowing they'll be benched the following season, the likes of Mahrez and Vardy's agents demanding the same sort of money as inbound seasoned world class players, fans questioning why their Premier League winning team had been pulled apart before a ball had even been kicked. Without replacing the full 11 he'd have ended up with two groups within the squad; 4/5 top class players, and another 20 or so close knit players throwing their toys out of the pram. That definitely wouldn't have got us very far this season.

If anything I think Ranieri has managed the situation well. The ball has essentially been firmly in players court all season. He's given them the wages they wanted, he's given them the chance to show that last season wasn't a one off, he hasn't made wholeale changes, hasn't publicly criticised any individual, and has personally shouldered the blame when called out by the fans and the media. Effectively he's given the players enough rope to hang themselves and the nucleus of last seasons squad have decided that that's the route they want to take. No one can be critical of the support he has shown this group. 

Come January I can see Ranieri ringing the changes and finally drafting in his own more technical players. I expect that we'll see wholesale changes right across the team. Let's be honest the fans patience with this group of players is wearing thin, based on opinions on this forum alone change will be welcomed irrespective of whether or not this group won the Premier League. Furthermore, the star players of last season won't be able to complain if new top class players come in on more money as they're struggling to justify their salaries as it is. Finally, Ranieri has the board right where he wants them; splash the cash and back their man or risk being relegated and accept the consequences that come with dropping down a division.

I've mentioned it in other threads but Ranieri's history of signing players at other club's is pretty good, and the common theme has always been player's of good technical ability. I know people have suggested that recent signings haven't been great, however part of me wonders how much the less technical players in the squad are hindering some of the newer signings as they are simply on different wavelengths. If we can bring some better players into the starting 11 who don't panic the second an opposition player presses them I can see some of the new additions becoming valued members of the squad and the team making a rapid rise up the table.

I'd like us to achieve further successs under Claudio and I'd rather he wasn't sacked but it's becoming increasingly apparent that we just aren't very good which is mostly down to  our players which Ranieri is at least partly responsible for signing some frankly dross players. Tactically speaking Ranieri is persisting with a system that isn't getting the best out of players and isn't even minimising our weaknesses, there doesn't seem to be much structure or organisation and I just can't see him turning it around.

I'd like to be wrong but Ranieri's track record follows a similar pattern; some initial success followed by disappointment.

Archived