Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Wesley Hoedt

21 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Not deliberately, you didn't make it that clear. Are you implying we have deals in place already?

No, implying more that it's possible that deals may be in the works and we just don't know. That they get presented late may not necessarily mean they were last minute. 

I concede, however, that we might just be the proverbial transfer car crash. 

2 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

It's good that we're making moves, but why on earth have we waited until the day before the deadline? It was clear 2 weeks ago that Acerbi wasn't coming for anything other than ridiculous money, why have we dicked about on other targets? Same every window.

Perhaps that's just your interpretation with the few facts you have.

Perhaps we've had multiple targets where signings have been all but sorted and they fall down due to other clubs not getting in replacements, or changing their minds. Palace have bid on about 20 players, West Brom and West Ham have been after loads of players and we're all struggling to get them over the line.

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps that's just your interpretation with the few facts you have.

Perhaps we've had multiple targets where signings have been all but sorted and they fall down due to other clubs not getting in replacements, or changing their minds. Palace have bid on about 20 players, West Brom and West Ham have been after loads of players and we're all struggling to get them over the line.

I would probably give them a bit more leeway if they hadn't completely ballsed up the summer window.

As it is, we're in a pretty desperate situation now. Not only have we not strengthened, we've also sold our backup CB/RB. Putting a few feelers out there and making one or two half-hearted bids below market value/asking price wasn't an option for this window.

We should have had a list of defenders we were after, and done everything we could to secure them early. Now we've left it this late, most of our deals will be dependent on other clubs lining up replacements (which won't happen). I just can't believe we've sat on it this long, whilst watching the team concede comedy goals week after week.

17 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I would probably give them a bit more leeway if they hadn't completely ballsed up the summer window.

As it is, we're in a pretty desperate situation now. Not only have we not strengthened, we've also sold our backup CB/RB. Putting a few feelers out there and making one or two half-hearted bids below market value/asking price wasn't an option for this window.

We should have had a list of defenders we were after, and done everything we could to secure them early. Now we've left it this late, most of our deals will be dependent on other clubs lining up replacements (which won't happen). I just can't believe we've sat on it this long, whilst watching the team concede comedy goals week after week.

Do you really think we've not tried to do that? N'didi proves when things align we can get them done, but there as so many parties involved things can drag out, you can think you've got someone then it falls through. People can move the goalposts or change their mind. It's clearly not just us having issues.

7 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Who says that they haven't had a list of defenders?

Who says that they haven't tried to do business early?

You, like me and nearly everybody else on here haven't got a clue of an idea of what's happening behind the scenes now or what happened in the summer.  You can't buy from people that don't want to sell, or make players come who don't want to for a multitude of reasons. I for one will be happy if nobody at all comes in IF it means paying over the top for someone whose no better than we've got. If I was a seller and wasn't that fussed about selling, purely out of good tactics I'd refuse the first early offer and wait until the last minute to squeeze as much as I could out of the deal.

You don't spend money on mediocrity just to appease a few fans who, whilst they all have a right to have a view, mostly haven't got a clue what they're talking about when it comes to investing millions of pounds in transfer fees, wages and add ons. The mere fact that over the last couple of weeks or so more than a dozen names have been bandied about shows that it's a matter of opinion amongst people not that much in the know. 

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Who says that they haven't had a list of defenders?

Who says that they haven't tried to do business early?

You, like me and nearly everybody else on here haven't got a clue of an idea of what's happening behind the scenes now or what happened in the summer.  You can't buy from people that don't want to sell, or make players come who don't want to for a multitude of reasons. I for one will be happy if nobody at all comes in IF it means paying over the top for someone whose no better than we've got. If I was a seller and wasn't that fussed about selling, purely out of good tactics I'd refuse the first early offer and wait until the last minute to squeeze as much as I could out of the deal.

You don't spend money on mediocrity just to appease a few fans who, whilst they all have a right to have a view, mostly haven't got a clue what they're talking about when it comes to investing millions of pounds in transfer fees, wages and add ons. The mere fact that over the last couple of weeks or so more than a dozen names have been bandied about shows that it's a matter of opinion amongst people not that much in the know. 

It's fairly well known that January is a horrible transfer window to operate in, a lot of clubs tend to be left frustrated without signing the players they wanted/badly needed. We are in a position where it's quite crucial we get a couple of bodies in to help, where as last January although we were livid we didn't get a striker it was nowhere near as essential that we did. You simply have to have plans in place for what happens if you don't get your targets, which in our case in defence are all players that their clubs don't want to let go (Acerbi, Mbodji) . You either make sure you don't weaken your squad in the window (Hernandez) without being certain you can bring in cover or you then have targets from clubs that will be allowed to leave (Sakho, Ivanovic, Ranocchia). With 2 days to go is it really worthwhile continuing to increase bids for players by a million and run out of time? Or go after realistic targets in a market that is horrid to work in.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

No, implying more that it's possible that deals may be in the works and we just don't know. That they get presented late may not necessarily mean they were last minute. 

I concede, however, that we might just be the proverbial transfer car crash. 

Well this is what I mean about it now being 30th Jan. Our defence is a shambles and surely this needed sorting sooner rather than just writing the whole month off.

No doubt they are trying to get deals done but why didn't we identify targets in October/ November as what it currently appears to me like is they are frantically trying to identify people now. It's utter madness for the premier league champions to be in such a mess and unforgivable.

I just watched a YouTube compilation of Danny Simpson and he looked like a world beater with amazing technique and ball control  

If he was called Danielle Simao and played for Boavista we'd be all over this transfer :D

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I just watched a YouTube compilation of Danny Simpson and he looked like a world beater with amazing technique and ball control  

If he was called Danielle Simao and played for Boavista we'd be all over this transfer:D

you could reel together some highlights from Kramaric and make him look good too lol

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

If he was called Danielle Simao and played for Boavista we'd be all over this transfer :D

Christ lol 

20 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well this is what I mean about it now being 30th Jan. Our defence is a shambles and surely this needed sorting sooner rather than just writing the whole month off.

No doubt they are trying to get deals done but why didn't we identify targets in October/ November as what it currently appears to me like is they are frantically trying to identify people now. It's utter madness for the premier league champions to be in such a mess and unforgivable.

They may have done just that. It seems to be obvious that getting your way in such matters isn't easy at all if you're not Barcelona. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Do you really think we've not tried to do that? N'didi proves when things align we can get them done, but there as so many parties involved things can drag out, you can think you've got someone then it falls through. People can move the goalposts or change their mind. It's clearly not just us having issues.

I don't think we've tried as hard as we should have done, no. I know there's plenty of different things to factor in when getting a deal done and it's not the best window to operate in, but we've left ourselves in a pretty dire situation defensively (unless Ranieri is planning on dropping Amartey back, which we've seen no sign of so far).

Money talks, as we all know- cough up enough cash and you usually get your target. Dithering about over £1-2m when we're way below the asking price won't get deals over the line. Sure, all we've got to go on is what is reported in the media and murmurings from people who know someone at the club, but you can't deny that missing out on targets and leaving important business to the last minute is becoming a worryingly common theme.

26 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I don't think we've tried as hard as we should have done, no. I know there's plenty of different things to factor in when getting a deal done and it's not the best window to operate in, but we've left ourselves in a pretty dire situation defensively (unless Ranieri is planning on dropping Amartey back, which we've seen no sign of so far).

Money talks, as we all know- cough up enough cash and you usually get your target. Dithering about over £1-2m when we're way below the asking price won't get deals over the line. Sure, all we've got to go on is what is reported in the media and murmurings from people who know someone at the club, but you can't deny that missing out on targets and leaving important business to the last minute is becoming a worryingly common theme.

Considering how many CM's we now have I'd say it's clear we're happy to use Dan as cover for right back. I'm not sure any new centre back will come in and be no.1 instantly anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if we continued with Huth and Morgan at the back until the end of the season. We won the league with them, they've not suddenly become shit. The effort all of the pitch is lacking and it's exposing them in ways it didn't before.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

I know what you're saying but he was in the top 3 best performing right backs in the country last season.

Side not; I know that you don't watch football compilations for the music but what the ****ing **** was that?

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Considering how many CM's we now have I'd say it's clear we're happy to use Dan as cover for right back. I'm not sure any new centre back will come in and be no.1 instantly anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if we continued with Huth and Morgan at the back until the end of the season. We won the league with them, they've not suddenly become shit. The effort all of the pitch is lacking and it's exposing them in ways it didn't before.

I'd quite like to see him play at the back- just seems to have a lack of confidence/positional sense in midfield which prevents ham from keeping control of games, but he's got all the assets to be a good defender. Time will tell anyway.

It looks like Acerbi was the preferred target. Persisting was probably the right call in case Sassuolo's valuationn was met and/our heavy interest unsettled the player. Dedication to a deal makes the player feel wanted. Persuing loads of other deals publicly might indicate a scatter-gun approach, telling other clubs, players and agents that we're after someone, anyone, and we're bloody desperate about it as well.

Last minute moves are not uncommon so it makes sense that, having failed to persuade Sassuolo to part with Acerbi, we're now after other targets. It's risky. Are they actually good enough? Have they been scouted enough? Are we desperate or are these targets as meticulously researched as Acerbi will have been?

Whatever the case may be, I don't see how this situation could have been avoided without paying vastly over the odds for Acerbi.

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's fairly well known that January is a horrible transfer window to operate in, a lot of clubs tend to be left frustrated without signing the players they wanted/badly needed. We are in a position where it's quite crucial we get a couple of bodies in to help, where as last January although we were livid we didn't get a striker it was nowhere near as essential that we did. You simply have to have plans in place for what happens if you don't get your targets, which in our case in defence are all players that their clubs don't want to let go (Acerbi, Mbodji) . You either make sure you don't weaken your squad in the window (Hernandez) without being certain you can bring in cover or you then have targets from clubs that will be allowed to leave (Sakho, Ivanovic, Ranocchia). With 2 days to go is it really worthwhile continuing to increase bids for players by a million and run out of time? Or go after realistic targets in a market that is horrid to work in.

Better to buy nothing than spend not just transfer money that could be spent in a better market in the summer (I agree entirely with your comments re the notorious January window ), but also consider the wage costs over three years perhaps for such duds that will become unsellable. Out of the 3 you mention that were available,  apart from the fact Ivanovic looks to have sorted a move, there's good reason why this once exceptional player is not playing for Chelsea and why no other Premiership in a worse predicament than ourselves for players aren't rushing to take him on board. As for Sakho, don't you remember him playing against us last year,  he was comical and made Wes look like Canavarro!  There's good reason why he's available too because he's dreadful. Rannochia in fairness, I can't comment on but you can bet your life Ranieri will know what he needs to know about him. Personally it wouldn't surprise me if Mbodji and Ramirez snuck in before deadline. If not,  player wise I think we've got plenty to work with and it wouldn't bother me. I'd sooner wait for Acerbi in the summer when his club will find it more difficult to keep him but I think he'll stay in Italy. Yet again it will go down to the wire with brinkmanship on both sides. I am however very pleased with our one signing, Ndidi. OK he's young and inexperienced in the Premiership  like Chilwell,  Muse,  Kaputska,  Mendy, Gray and Uche but, IF we can stay up, and I believe we can,  aren't those 7 young players potentially great business?  I think the future's bright! Anyway, the Champions League and the FA Cup will do me for this year! ??

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I think our bids get rejected because the owners are known to be dripping with cash. Everyone thinks they have us over a barrel.  About time they changed the perception and left matches in a Robin Reliant

Can we stop ****ing about and put a proper bid in for somebody? ****ing embarrassing the way we bid half players' value then act surprised and refuse to bid again when not accepted. 

Archived