Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

Chip Shop

Chip Shop  

137 members have voted

1. 1. On the chips?

2. 2. The main event?

3. 3. Extras?

I'm currently one of 12 people of the 92 polled so far who would have gravy on their chips. Outrage that, are the rest of you living under a rock!?

Beef and Onion pie the main event of course.

Fishcake, Beans and Chips on a tray deeply marinated in vinegar with enough salt to turn your lips into Mick Jagger proportions. Always had this in Leicester no problems, down south - Suffolk, Cambs, parts of London & Essex and it gets tricky. They all do Mushy Peas, some do Gravy and Curry but ask for Beans and they look at you like you've asked for beetroot or something. I had one place reply "We don't do baked potatoes anymore". "No, I wanted baked beans", I replied. "Yes but we don't do baked potatoes anymore" (fast turning into a Monty Python sketch). "I don't understand...I'd like beans with the chips". "We stopped doing beans when we stopped doing baked potatoes". "But doesn't anyone want Beans and Chips?". "No" (pulling a face like I've suggested pouring custard over the fish cake and chips). If you do find one that does them it's in a tiny microwaved carton, a lump of dried out beans with the middle ones stone cold. And just don't get me started on Crusty cobs......

Grimsby Chippy on Welford Road did (don't know if they still do) "Bean Rounders", basically a scotch egg with beans instead of the egg. Tried it once but haven't had a beans wrapped in sausagemeat craving since. The girls in the queue got sick of our (she's)-bean-a-round-her puns which was the main incentive for ordering one.

A little off-topic, but I hope you don't mind. If you buy any fishcakes, fish fillets or fish pie down the supermarket, then you have to go hyper-alert in order not to buy some pollock. No talking, no answering mobile phones, no wandering eyes to look at appealing and probably under-aged girls, for the time being, at least. You have to read the instructions three times to make sure that you've got cod or haddock. Not fish, because that means pollock.

If you go down the fish and chip shop and request pollock, they will laugh at you. They do rubbery sausages deep-fried in batter that only the most outstandingly drunk person could try and eat, but they don't do pollock.

Why are Britain's supermarkets forcing us to eat this fish? I wouldn't mind if their shelves featured 'Poor Admiral's Pie- Made Of Pollock And Other Things', but they don't do that. I think we should be told.

9 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I have to be in the right mood for fish. My usual chip shop meal consists of Chips, Jumbo sausage, chicken & mushroom pie and baked beans.

Its only on rare occasions that i go for the fish, but i do enjoy it.

The other debate that the World Cup has brought up is which is the best chip shop in the area? I usually tend to use Today's Catch in Syston. Not the best in the world but i've had worse - the one in East Goscote springs to mind

Rothley fisheries...quality

9 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I have to be in the right mood for fish. My usual chip shop meal consists of Chips, Jumbo sausage, chicken & mushroom pie and baked beans.

Its only on rare occasions that i go for the fish, but i do enjoy it.

The other debate that the World Cup has brought up is which is the best chip shop in the area? I usually tend to use Today's Catch in Syston. Not the best in the world but i've had worse - the one in East Goscote springs to mind

The one in Goscote (or "on" Goscote as the freakish locals say) is very good. Much better than any of the ones in Melton.

I do love Fish and Chips but I tend to regret it as soon as I've eaten it. The batter knocks me about a bit!

I might have slated Fish and Chips in another thread but I'm sitting here about to go to the gym having barely eaten anything considered a treat for god knows how long thinking about demolishing every single thing on this list.... other than a pickled egg you ****ed up people.

Archived