Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Atletico Madrid (Away) Pre-Match Thread

2) No help from the money-men for champions’ European push

Leicester City lost their winning momentum in a hugely entertaining contest at Everton but fortunately no more players to injury before their first appearance in a Champions League quarter-final at Atlético Madrid on Wednesday. Wes Morgan, it was confirmed, will miss the game with a back problem. The club’s interim manager Craig Shakespeare did all he could to utilise his resources ahead of the showpiece European occasion, shifting Riyad Mahrez and Danny Simpson to the bench at Goodison Park, withdrawing Jamie Vardy after 61 minutes and giving Christian Fuchs, Shinji Okazaki and Wilfred Ndidi the day off. But where was the help from the broadcasters and Premier League for the country’s last representative on the Champions League stage? Being forced to kick off at 4pm on the Sunday before the quarter-final, with alternative TV slots available, showed a dereliction of duty towards the Premier League champions. If Leicester do continue their outstanding run in Europe it will be despite the influence of the money-men. Andy Hunter

Football Weekly saying that Atletico have got 15 clean sheets in their last 17 home Champions League ties.

Absolutely incredible.

23 minutes ago, Loves2spooge said:

For real this time (tight game) 1-0 for LCFC 

you can trust me I predicted that 2017 is gonna happen and look it happened !

Stop me if I'm being outrageous, but I predict that 2018 might just happen as well. 

Just a hunch, mind... lol

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

Football Weekly saying that Atletico have got 15 clean sheets in their last 17 home Champions League ties.

Absolutely incredible.

Shame for them it won't be 16 in 18 :thumbup:

Got to go for the throat and get an early goal or two. All out aggression for the first 30mins with the tackling on point. Just avoid a red card.

We don't want to get dragged in to a scrappy borefest by 'settling into it' as we will surely be ground down and concede on set pieces what with being unaclimatised to the warmer temperatures. That sort of thing will lead us to lapses in concentration.

16 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

Got to go for the throat and get an early goal or two. All out aggression for the first 30mins with the tackling on point. Just avoid a red card.

We don't want to get dragged in to a scrappy borefest by 'settling into it' as we will surely be ground down and concede on set pieces what with being unaclimatised to the warmer temperatures. That sort of thing will lead us to lapses in concentration.

I agree, lets leave ourselves exposed 10/15 minutes into a 180 minute tie against one of the best counter attacking teams going.

8 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

Man... Let's hope it's a 0-0 clean sheet on Wednesday night then...:sweating:

0-0 is a terrible first leg away result in the Champions League - in the context it might be a brilliant result for Leicester, but in reality there is so much of a reliance on the away goal that at home it would really put us on a knife edge.

4 minutes ago, FraserSorensen said:

0-0 is a terrible first leg away result in the Champions League - in the context it might be a brilliant result for Leicester, but in reality there is so much of a reliance on the away goal that at home it would really put us on a knife edge.

Was thinking that when I read the post but then the reality occurred to me that if you offered me a one off game home to atleti to go through then I would bite your hand off.

of course any draw at the KP other than 0-0 means we are out but would rather be level than one behind 

9 minutes ago, FraserSorensen said:

Really, well last round we lost 2-1, and that was claimed as a good result, so how 0-0 is terrible, I don't understand

6 minutes ago, treer said:

Really, well last round we lost 2-1, and that was claimed as a good result, so how 0-0 is terrible, I don't understand

Apologies, should have made myself clear - in the context of Leicester, 0-0 may be a great result, certainly against a team like Atletico, however, in general, 0-0 away in the Champions League first leg doesn't tend to fare teams well in terms of progression because of the reliance on the away goal - any goal away for the team in the return leg heaps pressure on the home team and often means they won't come out and attack for fear of essentially conceding a double goal.

From a psychological perspective, I think losing 2-1 galvanises a team, as they have a clear objective of what they need and the responsibility is on the losing team to turn the game around. At 0-0, it takes a bit of that responsibility away, and the pressure that we thrive off, so whilst in the context 0-0 would be an incredible achievement tomorrow night, in general, it doesn't often bode teams well.

21 minutes ago, FraserSorensen said:

0-0 will never happen anyway. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet at Vincente Calderon against one of the best teams in Europe. But I do see us scoring one.

1 hour ago, blokiszimat said:

Atletico Madrid players interview before the match.

Interesting to watch. The main difference I feel between this press conference and the one Sevilla did before their games is Respect. I just feel Sevilla thought they would turn up and beat us, where as Madrid seem to be far more cautious in their approach and are clearly showing us a lot of respect. 

This will be a much sterner test IMO 

Atletico will be all over us. They have a similar approach to ourselves in not needing the ball all the time and that will put a slightly different  situation in place for them and I hope that will make a slight difference. However they will be a notch above Seville because they are just the most savvy team in Europe. 

Everyone will need to be 100% and having fantastic games all round and I am just hoping for a surprise. I do fear for us though and we can't concede early. If we defend anything like the Everton game this tie will be done and dusted before we get them back home which will be a major disappointment.

19 hours ago, st albans fox said:

uefa picked the wealthiest referee in world football to avoid any suggestion of him being bought off!

How do you think he got to be the wealthiest referee..?

Archived