Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

I think the sensible thing is front load the season a bit more.

Very first week of the season is available and i think probably game week 2 might be too.

Even if we have to play heavy christmas schedules this could be managed a lot better too.

Suppose boxing day was a monday. Would there be games saturday AND monday? (Bearing in mind weve just done this the other way around).

Why not just all have boxing day off and play wednesday night?

This season for example. Boxing day was tuesday, new years day monday. 

Either play the saturday game on friday night for equal rest between dates or move this game to gameweek 1 midweek.

I dont think a break is possible purely due to the 20 team league and 2 cups.

Portugal i believe is a 2 cup nation but an 18 team league and portuguese league cup is smaller.

Just now, Tuna said:

Getting rid of some of those international breaks in autumn would help.

If every nation didnt play friendlies yes but what about tournament preparation for those who want it?

4 minutes ago, Donut said:

I think the sensible thing is front load the season a bit more.

Very first week of the season is available and i think probably game week 2 might be too.

Even if we have to play heavy christmas schedules this could be managed a lot better too.

Suppose boxing day was a monday. Would there be games saturday AND monday? (Bearing in mind weve just done this the other way around).

Why not just all have boxing day off and play wednesday night?

This season for example. Boxing day was tuesday, new years day monday. 

Either play the saturday game on friday night for equal rest between dates or move this game to gameweek 1 midweek.

I dont think a break is possible purely due to the 20 team league and 2 cups.

Portugal i believe is a 2 cup nation but an 18 team league and portuguese league cup is smaller.

I think you’ve got it spot on. There’s no need for a winter break at all, but there’s certainly no need to play 4 games in about 10 days. Especially in a non WC/Euros year. 

Sky/BT play a huge part but surely they could get as many games on TV without having everyone playing. 

9 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I think you’ve got it spot on. There’s no need for a winter break at all, but there’s certainly no need to play 4 games in about 10 days. Especially in a non WC/Euros year. 

Sky/BT play a huge part but surely they could get as many games on TV without having everyone playing. 

Completely agree, they've strung out this Christmas is the time for football for way too long. Some completely crap games as a result of players being tired and needless injuries.

39 minutes ago, Corky said:

What doesn't help is the scheduling of the second round of the Champions League. It is spread over four separate weeks for some reason which rules out midweek fixture lists in that time. If they cut that back to two weeks that would free up some time to put one of these round of matches into.

Bingo - add to that the PL and FA are told not play games on CL nights. No FA Cup replays. You then have more free midweeks in the second half of the season. 

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Bingo - add to that the PL and FA are told not play games on CL nights. No FA Cup replays. You then have more free midweeks in the second half of the season. 

This might be for the fa cup thread, but ive always thought finishing a tie on the day would make for more entertainment too.

Lets say the home team is offered the option do they want to finish the game on the day yes or no?

If youre a lower league team playing a higher team youd have to gamble between finishing the game that day in front of your fans and increase your chances of going through..... or take the money and a replay but get knocked out most likely?

The away team knows they have the chance of putting the home team out after 90 mins if its the other way around. If they exceed all expectations and snatch a draw.... they could then knock the home team out because they didnt get the game won there and then.

There are similar rules in the lower leagues for the fa trophy etc.

Just a thought

Edited by Donut

Sitter missed by Kane ... horrible first touch.  I can't understand why the media puff him up to be the greatest finisher.  He strikes me as a great volume shooter/scorer who positions himself to maximize his opportunities.  But often a spotty finisher.

• Like 1