Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

19 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

He is a serial underachiever... can't believe Chelsea are bothering

Young, English, and there's potential there if he can develop a footballing brain. £15m is cheap- if they can get any sort of form out of him, his value will rocket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

This.

I'm sure there would have been room to have put a midweek fixture sometime in August, September or October, without disrupting European or league cup fixtures. Could probably have done more than one.

First couple of weeks of the season there was space, or the week before the champions league begins again.

There's absolutely no problem for most teams, it's just the champions league teams that cause the issue.

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

No idea why Chelsea do what they do but I don't see the sense in loaning out Loftus-Cheek, Baker, Zouma and letting Chalobah go for peanuts then spending multi millions on players to fill out the squad.

I expect Conte will get fed up and quit at the end of the season.

They let go of decent players (lets not forget De Brunye and Salah had spells there) - I like Loftus-Cheek but can't imagine him playing regular for Chelsea. it's far to easier for them to just keep recycling players - didn't they let Matic go for peanuts and then buy him back for about £20mill? lol 

And the last player that came through their academy to end up playing regular was Terry.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

No idea what big clubs see in Barkley. He has some technical ability but no football brain.

He's the epitome of an overhyped English footballer, only really rated because he plays for a (traditionally) big club.

If Albrighton was at Everton he'd be getting a move to Chelsea because his end product, the only thing that actually matters, is far better than Barkley's.

27 minutes ago, Tuna said:

This.

I'm sure there would have been room to have put a midweek fixture sometime in August, September or October, without disrupting European or league cup fixtures. Could probably have done more than one.

I honestly don't think there is. Since the opening weekend of the season, every single midweek has been taken up by champions leagues qualifiers, group stage, league cup, league and international matches. Now midweeks will be clogged with fa cup replays.

Im fairly sure of this as I keep an eye on midweek games when I have evening events at work, and try to organise them around the football calendar, which is impossible 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Wtf!

:o

1 hour ago, M0901 said:

Come on now. To generate that much power and beat Lloris as he did was brilliant. Unless you mean Son... But then again that was brilliant too.

We see rockets like that week in week out throughout the English football leagues, he was given too much time and space for my liking. If he hit it first time like that then I would've splooged.

57 minutes ago, kingfox said:

We see rockets like that week in week out throughout the English football leagues, he was given too much time and space for my liking. If he hit it first time like that then I would've splooged.

He did have a lot of time but that goes in 1 out of 50 times. Restricting team to and even inviting shots from that distance isn’t uncommon. All that said, the defenders could’ve put a bit more pressure on him without fully committing. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

They let go of decent players (lets not forget De Brunye and Salah had spells there) - I like Loftus-Cheek but can't imagine him playing regular for Chelsea. it's far to easier for them to just keep recycling players - didn't they let Matic go for peanuts and then buy him back for about £20mill? lol 

And the last player that came through their academy to end up playing regular was Terry.

Yeah, and then let him go again for about what they paid for Drinkwater in the same window. 

There’s likely more than meets the eye to that one but still selling a player like that to a rival is terrible business. 

14 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Three Match touchline ban for Wenger

Absurd... no accountability whatsoever for referees.

When the time comes when referees are required to explain their reasoning on certain controversial decisions post-match, the game will struggle to allow respect for managers and their viewpoints on these decisions. To a certain point, managers need more freedom of speech, but Wenger never mentioned anything badly to warrant any ban. Mourinho for example has said worse, obviously, and gets away with it.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

17 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Three Match touchline ban for Wenger

Absurd... no accountability whatsoever for referees.

Completely agree and He still has to explain his comments about the ref after the Chelsea game as well doesn’t he so could it be even longer? 

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Because the manager is moaning they haven't got a big enough squad or he hasn't got the right players or whatever the excuse is.

lol

I can understand Chelsea signing Barkley, seeing as they already have Drinkwater, Fabregas, Willian, Kante, Hazard, Bakayoko and Pedro.

Makes all the sense in the world

?

I figured Barkley would go for more. I agree he was a bit over-hyped as we were constantly told that he was going to be a superstar over and over and over again without showing improvement. But for £15 I think a fair amount of teams in the league would have taken that punt.