Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Quoted 36m last summer - unlikely that price has gone down.

He is under contract

they don't have to sell him

they may have indicated he could leave if he resigned for another season (similar to riyad)

he will cost this type of fee (perhaps we could include Leo in the deal - they were interested before )

Just now, Finnegan said:

I read it.

I saw the same arrogance we got from Sunderland fans who said none of our players would get in their team.

You see arrogance but I quote my opinion.

What Newcastle players would get in our team then and who would they replace?

Or am I right when I said that no Newcastle player would get in our side?

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He is under contract

they don't have to sell him

they may have indicated he could leave if he resigned for another season (similar to riyad)

he will cost this type of fee (perhaps we could include Leo in the deal - they were interested before )

They sold Ashley Williams, they are a selling club at the right price. 

8 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Ritchie or Shelvey could easily replace Okazaki and Lascelles could replace Morgan or Huth.

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel and you're wrong on both counts. :)

Shall I name how many Leicester players would be definite starters in the Newcastle side or shall we leave it there? I'm guessing it would be around 20 players who would improve their side.

16 minutes ago, Gerard said:

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel and you're wrong on both counts. :)

Shall I name how many Leicester players would be definite starters in the Newcastle side or shall we leave it there? I'm guessing it would be around 20 players who would improve their side.

You saying 'you're wrong' doesnt make it so i'm afraid.  Lascelles in my view is exactly the same player as Wes only a lot younger.  Wes looked pretty average until he had a decent partner alongside and Lascelles will be the same in my view.

As for Okazaki being replaced by Shelvey or Ritchie, i'm not saying they're far superior players, just that if they were to replace Shinji, I dont see that being at all detrimental to our side.  Okazaki does work hard but is the most frustrating player and if we're talking about a Sigurddson type player replacing Shinji, that's why I mentioned those two (hard working attacking midfielders).

Again I must reiterate, I didnt include Newcastle in the top 7 list nor in the list of clubs that could potentially finish from 8th to 12th.  My only point is that if you were a player looking for a move and had a straight choice between Leicester and Newcastle, I disagree with you that we would be by far the more attractive proposition.

Newcastle are a very big club with a huge fanbase and a well respected manager.  They showed ambition by attracting Benitez in the first place and then convincing him to stay.  Their project is as exciting as ours.

8 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Benitez led Newcastle is a much more attractive prospect for players than Shakespeare led Leicester. Benitez is a top class manager.

Leicester were the best team in the country by 17pts between April 2015 to May 2016

Shaky's Leicester have earned 2pts per game since he took over which would put us in the Champions League places this season at that return.

We got to a QF of the Champions League by winning our group with a game to spare and knocking out the third placed La Liga team in the last 16.

Newcastle have just been promoted and only won the Championship in the last minute of the season.

They have no players that would get in a top ten Premier League side.

Our transfer and wage budget is bigger than Newcastle's for next season.

If for example Sigurdsson had the choice of both clubs and the salary was the same he would have to be a fool to choose Newcastle over Leicester. He's 27 years old and all that Newcastle can offer him is a probable relegation battle and maybe a mid table finish over the next 2-3 years. Leicester will be targeting maybe a cup and European football of some sort, mid table will be seen as a relatively poor season.

Newcastle are historically a bigger club than us but they're a long way behind us in footballing terms as things stand. We have a squad who have performed at the highest level with two top 10 Balon D'Or players. We have Schmeichel, Vardy and Mahrez and their equivalent is Darlow, Gayle and Ritchie. Seriously, who would you prefer to play along side?

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Leicester were the best team in the country by 17pts between April 2015 to May 2016

Shaky's Leicester have earned 2pts per game since he took over which would put us in the Champions League places this season at that return.

We got to a QF of the Champions League by winning our group with a game to spare and knocking out the third placed La Liga team in the last 16.

Newcastle have just been promoted and only won the Championship in the last minute of the season.

If for example Sigurdsson had the choice of both clubs and the salary was the same he would have to be a fool to choose Newcastle over Leicester. He's 27 years old and all that Newcastle can offer him is a probable relegation battle and maybe a mid table finish over the next 2-3 years. Leicester will be targeting maybe a cup and European football of some sort, mid table will be seen as a relatively poor season.

Newcastle are historically a bigger club than us but they're a long way behind us in footballing terms as things stand. We have a squad who have performed at the highest level with two top 10 Balon D'Or players. We have Schmeichel, Vardy and Mahrez and their equivalent is Darlow, Gayle and Ritchie. Seriously, who would you prefer to play along side?

The past is the past. West Ham or Stoke fans were probably saying the same about us a few years ago. Reality is that Newcastle are a bigger club with more capacity to generate revenue, as well as a CL winning manager who can attract great players in his own right. We were in a relegation battle this season so we could be again even though I don't think we will.

32 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Benitez led Newcastle is a much more attractive prospect for players than Shakespeare led Leicester. Benitez is a top class manager.

Our recent successes should give us a bit more reputational hype that seems to occur in football, having said that I was very disappointed at some of the players we missed out on last summer when we were the current champions of England and about to play Champions League. I still maintain money talks and we have more of it than Newcastle if they are to adhere to FFP.

14 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The past is the past. West Ham or Stoke fans were probably saying the same about us a few years ago. Reality is that Newcastle are a bigger club with more capacity to generate revenue, as well as a CL winning manager who can attract great players in his own right. We were in a relegation battle this season so we could be again even though I don't think we will.

It's hardly the past. We still have the majority of the squad that won the league. The team this season were good enough to get to the QF of the Champions League and since Shaky taking over have produced Champions League qualifying form with 22pts from 11 games.

It's baffling that you've said West Ham or Stoke fans thinking the same about us when we have overtaken them with our results as proof but Newcastle have overtaken us just because they got promoted from the Championship????

Benitez has been sacked from his previous three jobs and that's why he ended up taking a poor relegation threatened Newcastle job as he'd be waiting for a long time before a big club wanted him. Benitez has been a failure since leaving Liverpool and there's no way players will be turning down better teams just to play for him.

Newcastle do generate more income than us all things being equal but it's not significant enough to be a real factor. Like the other 13 teams in the PL the vast majority of their income is TV dependent.

23 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Who would Sigrsson rather play  with? Vardy & Mahrez or Gayle and Ritchie?:whistle: also, earn more money. 

Just now, AmarteyAndChill said:

Who would Sigrsson rather play it with? Vardy & Mahrez or Gayle and Ritchie?:whistle: also, earn more money. 

But, but, but they have Benitez managing them and Shearer played for them 20 years a go. ;)

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm gobsmacked at any Leicester fan that would mock Newcastle for signing Gayle, Ritchie and Shelvey.

They fobbed off all their show pony big name foreign signings and got to work bringing in grafters to get them out the division, sound like anyone else?

How you can sneer at their squad when we took Albrighton, Morgan and Simpson and made them premier league winners is beyond me.

I think they've invested really sensibly over the last year and I think they'll do alright when they come up.

The difference of course being that Newcastle spent close to 40m for that 3 and we spent 3m for ours.

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our recent successes should give us a bit more reputational hype that seems to occur in football, having said that I was very disappointed at some of the players we missed out on last summer when we were the current champions of England and about to play Champions League. I still maintain money talks and we have more of it than Newcastle if they are to adhere to FFP.

This pretty much sums it up. If he goes to someone who can't offer European football as an extra incentive, it will more than likely come down to who throws the most money at him

39 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The difference of course being that Newcastle spent close to 40m for that 3 and we spent 3m for ours.

Oh course. I'm not suggesting they're better in the market than we are.

I'm just saying that saying their players are crap and wouldn't get in our team is ridiculous.

We don't know how their players would function in our team, it might turn out that Gayle would be a great addition to our squad and would score stacks.

He might be brilliant for the Toon next year.

Gerard is writing him off in the same way that the rest of the country would have dismissed Jamie Vardy as not being good enough for their teams until he stepped it up last season.

3 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

This is all academic.  Our transfer window was dreadful despite us being Champions and having Champions League football.  Without that, our expectations of who we can sign need to be more realistic.

It's probably been our worst transfer window despite it being the window where we could attract a higher quality of player.

Archived