Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

40 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

We have players to cover drinkwaters roll, and he was inconsistent before the title winning season, and reverted back to it last season.

Danny is a good player, but we have Iborra, nididi, who should be more than capable of filling Danny's roll, but we are crying out for a midfielder who can create, and sigurdsson had a very healthy assist rate last season, and previous season, so for me, he's a player we are crying out for, but massively over priced.

But so is Drinkwater at 35m plus 

His been solid but for 30m (plus over 4m in wages) he has to go he could well end up being third choice this season and his value could plummet after a relatively poor season last year.

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I'd rather we kept DD, even if we were offered £35 million, but if the club think an offer is too good to turn down, I'd like us to sign Arter from Bournemouth or Shelvey from Newcastle to replace him, should then have £10-£15 million left over after buying one of them two. Put that towards a Gyfli deal on top of the £40 million we already offered and everyone's happy.

Im glad Rudkins in charge and not you lol 

9 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

We have players to cover drinkwaters roll, and he was inconsistent before the title winning season, and reverted back to it last season.

Danny is a good player, but we have Iborra, nididi, who should be more than capable of filling Danny's roll, but we are crying out for a midfielder who can create, and sigurdsson had a very healthy assist rate last season, and previous season, so for me, he's a player we are crying out for, but massively over priced.

His healthy assist rate is very deceiving. Take away his assists from corners and free kicks and it becomes quite clear that he actually offers very little from open play. He really isn't the creative genius that we need, and certainly isn't the player some are making him out to be. Some make out Slimani was/is a flop purely because of his price tag. Imagine if we actually spent upwards of £40million on Sigurdsson!? He is a decent player, but he's certainly not the player we need to take us forward. Anything over £15million for him is too much

39 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

His healthy assist rate is very deceiving. Take away his assists from corners and free kicks and it becomes quite clear that he actually offers very little from open play. He really isn't the creative genius that we need, and certainly isn't the player some are making him out to be. Some make out Slimani was/is a flop purely because of his price tag. Imagine if we actually spent upwards of £40million on Sigurdsson!? He is a decent player, but he's certainly not the player we need to take us forward. Anything over £15million for him is too much

We do need an expert on set pieces. Albrighton and Mahrez have above average skill, but Sigurdsson is in a different league. Besides, we need different threats and there are few better at hitting the target from distance than Sigurdsson. You've got 10 goals a season near as guaranteed with a player like him.

Is Sigurdsson really that good? From what I've seen, he's got good technique and of course great set pieces. Scores a few.

However he's quite like David Beckham in that he is not particularly quick or skilful, and he lacks dynamism.

I'm sure he'd do well if he came here but dubious about smashing our transfer record on somebody who is not world class

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Is Sigurdsson really that good? From what I've seen, he's got good technique and of course great set pieces. Scores a few.

However he's quite like David Beckham in that he is not particularly quick or skilful, and he lacks dynamism.

I'm sure he'd do well if he came here but dubious about smashing our transfer record on somebody who is not world class

It's already been said on this thread that apart from his chances created by set pieces he came 72nd in the PL in this metric. For someone who played all 38 games and missed 93 minutes all season generally as a CAM that's really poor.

He's 28 next month as well so not only does he not create much in open play it's likely we would never recover any of his transfer fee and still a good proportion of our fans would slap down £50m on him. 

I'm happy for Iheanacho to play behind the striker for half the price and there's every chance we make money on that deal as well.

33 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Not for £50 million we don't. 

£40m something going to £50m including bonuses, add-ons in today's market doesn't seem too bad for someone who consistently delivers the goods at PL level. It would be a £13 net spend if Drinkwater goes for the amount cited.

He's not a creator, but he's an upgrade on Drinkwater if you ask me.

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It's already been said on this thread that apart from his chances created by set pieces he came 72nd in the PL in this metric. For someone who played all 38 games and missed 93 minutes all season generally as a CAM that's really poor.

He's 28 next month as well so not only does he not create much in open play it's likely we would never recover any of his transfer fee and still a good proportion of our fans would slap down £50m on him. 

I'm happy for Iheanacho to play behind the striker for half the price and there's every chance we make money on that deal as well.

Why is that poor? How much has Okazaki created as a withdrawn forward? Did you complain when we won the league with him? Also, why remove his his main strength from the statistics? Is a set piece chance created not as good as one from open play I wonder?

22 minutes ago, shen said:

Why is that poor? How much has Okazaki created as a withdrawn forward? Did you complain when we won the league with him? Also, why remove his his main strength from the statistics? Is a set piece chance created not as good as one from open play I wonder?

It means what it says it does, he doesn't create that much from open play.

His set pieces are obviously of the highest calibre but we still score from a few set pieces ourselves so by adding that stat you also have to take away what we'd create with one of our players taking set pieces.

For example imagine if Okazaki was a brilliant penalty taker. IIRC we had 12 penalties in our title winning season, if Shinji took them and scored all 12 he would have had 17 goals that season and you could argue he was as good as Vardy by looking at statistics which are skewed to build your numbers up.

£50m would be an obscene amount of money to pay for a 28 year old who the big clubs have no interest in and doesn't look so spectacular outside of set pieces.

28 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It means what it says it does, he doesn't create that much from open play.

His set pieces are obviously of the highest calibre but we still score from a few set pieces ourselves so by adding that stat you also have to take away what we'd create with one of our players taking set pieces.

For example imagine if Okazaki was a brilliant penalty taker. IIRC we had 12 penalties in our title winning season, if Shinji took them and scored all 12 he would have had 17 goals that season and you could argue he was as good as Vardy by looking at statistics which are skewed to build your numbers up.

£50m would be an obscene amount of money to pay for a 28 year old who the big clubs have no interest in and doesn't look so spectacular outside of set pieces.

Never seen him as an open play creator anyway. Swansea were mainly attacking down the wings last season anyway to utilise Llorente's strengths.

I try to look beyond the stats and what I see with Sigurdsson is a player who would fit in very well here.

His workrate is very much up to par, he's one of the biggest goal threats from midfield in the league.

Surely one of the main problems we had last season, even under Shakespeare, was the lack of threat and support from the middle.

Ndidi was starting to show what we need with bursting runs and a couple of piledrivers, Drinkwater even adding that beauty against Liverpool, but all to frequently, they are not near the box when we break.

Sigurdsson is actually quite solid in the build-up play and never hesitates to support. And you just know you will get a qualified and composed finish from him more often than not.

Buying Sigurdsson even with the sale of Drinkwater would mean Leicester would be one of the biggest net spenders this summer and probably take us in to the top 6 wage bills league. Most likely a dangerous financial position to be in especially with possible legal action on the horizon against the owners. Just saying...

13 minutes ago, moseeds said:

Buying Sigurdsson even with the sale of Drinkwater would mean Leicester would be one of the biggest net spenders this summer and probably take us in to the top 6 wage bills league. Most likely a dangerous financial position to be in especially with possible legal action on the horizon against the owners. Just saying...

They will just say that two companies own the King Power legal rights and it will go on for years.

27 minutes ago, shen said:

Never seen him as an open play creator anyway. Swansea were mainly attacking down the wings last season anyway to utilise Llorente's strengths.

I try to look beyond the stats and what I see with Sigurdsson is a player who would fit in very well here.

His workrate is very much up to par, he's one of the biggest goal threats from midfield in the league.

Surely one of the main problems we had last season, even under Shakespeare, was the lack of threat and support from the middle.

Ndidi was starting to show what we need with bursting runs and a couple of piledrivers, Drinkwater even adding that beauty against Liverpool, but all to frequently, they are not near the box when we break.

Sigurdsson is actually quite solid in the build-up play and never hesitates to support. And you just know you will get a qualified and composed finish from him more often than not.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he wouldn't improve us.

I just don't think he is worth anywhere near the price he's being touted at. Anyone who signs Sigurdsson has to be prepared to throw £90m away for his services over the next five years and get nothing back financially. He's 28 in a month and none of the top clubs are interested in him, it's absolutely terrible business.

Compare that with Iheanacho and there's every chance we'll sell him for a profit that even covers his wages whilst he's here. I would also bet that Iheanacho would be a far more effective player for us than Sigurdsson ever would be.

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that he wouldn't improve us.

I just don't think he is worth anywhere near the price he's being touted at. Anyone who signs Sigurdsson has to be prepared to throw £90m away for his services over the next five years and get nothing back financially. He's 28 in a month and none of the top clubs are interested in him, it's absolutely terrible business.

Compare that with Iheanacho and there's every chance we'll sell him for a profit that even covers his wages whilst he's here. I would also bet that Iheanacho would be a far more effective player for us than Sigurdsson ever would be.

I understand the concern with resale value, but are we cheering for our team as a business? All I would want is for the club to run within its means.

If you hold up the potential sale of Drinkwater, which incl. wages would free up around £50m, then spending potentially £50m on a transfer and another £25m on wages would be OK, especially for someone I believe would strengthen us considerably.

I trust in the staff at the club finding the right balance between forking out for a player in his peak and players with potential, both from a squad and club economy perspective.

8 minutes ago, shen said:

I understand the concern with resale value, but are we cheering for our team as a business? All I would want is for the club to run within its means.

If you hold up the potential sale of Drinkwater, which incl. wages would free up around £50m, then spending potentially £50m on a transfer and another £25m on wages would be OK, especially for someone I believe would strengthen us considerably.

I trust in the staff at the club finding the right balance between forking out for a player in his peak and players with potential, both from a squad and club economy perspective.

He would strengthen us but to what degree is the issue.  Is he that good a player that would transform us into top 6 contenders?  I doubt it. We're about 4 players off that so more likely he'll get

us to 9th or 10th.  Is that really worth the outlay?

Just now, Realist Guy In The Room said:

He would strengthen us but to what degree is the issue.  Is he that good a player that would transform us into top 6 contenders?  I doubt it. We're about 4 players off that so more likely he'll get

Well I don't know to what degree. If the post-Ranieri team show up, we could challenge for a top 6 spot although I believe this is unlikely. If we slowly revert back to the form during November-February last season, then he could well prove the difference between us staying up and going down. Look no further than his influence at Swansea. And then he might be worth every penny.

Yet, if we are '4 players off' being a top 6 contender, surely a player like Sigurdsson is the calibre one of those four players should have. Do you expect us to keep finding cheap unproven gems a la Kanté, Mahrez and Vardy?

5 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

So which player for sub £50m will take us to the top 4?

They don't exist so to be top 4 we have to accept that we probably need to buy 5 players at £50m a pop.

13 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

So which player for sub £50m will take us to the top 4?

They don't exist so to be top 4 we have to accept that we probably need to buy 5 players at £50m a pop.

Which is ridiculous as we can't afford 5*£50m players.

Our net spend is the 5th highest in the league over the last five seasons. Only the Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Chelsea have spent more. It's the road to financial suicide for us to buy a 28 year old that we'll never get a return on and in all likelihood will prove to be a terrible value signing.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

44 minutes ago, shen said:

I cheer for both the business and the team as the two are linked.

One thing is for sure if you keep making bad value signings it will catch up with you in the end. All signings need to be value economically and not just improve the team whatever the cost. 

Sigurdsson is almost certain to be bad value. Give me an Iheanacho type signing any day of the week who probably adds similar value to the team but will almost certainly be a great signing economically as we probably make a profit on him as well.

5 hours ago, moseeds said:

So we're going to have a wage bill bigger than 1 of Utd, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton... by taking away Drinkwaters and adding Siggys? 

Some other clubs hanging around mid-table also have ridiculously high wage bills too. 

Archived