Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Mahrez has asked to leave

42 minutes ago, MattCan said:

MahrezMagic! has got nothing to prove anymore .. unless you want him to win the inter-galactic player of the year ..

And that's the difference between a one season wonder and a top player. Top players, or any elite sportsman, do it year after year and consistently want to prove they are the best. Thats what makes them greats.

Don't forget, he only cost us 400,000, so we will not be losing 30-40-50 million.

49 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Seen this posted on one of the fan groups last night. Pretty sensible post.. Mahrez asking us to lower the price tells me one thing. There's one club interested and they can't afford/dont want to pay that amount of money 

Screenshot_20170531-215532.png

This scenario is perfectly possible.

Not an outcome I would want - I just want him gone now.

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And that's the difference between a one season wonder and a top player. Top players, or any elite sportsman, do it year after year and consistently want to prove they are the best. Thats what makes them greats.

Don't forget, he only cost us 400,000, so we will not be losing 30-40-50 million.

Class doesn't fade away, it is permanent. But he needs to be part of a different style of play.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So they say, but a sportsman's efforts can fade away.

I don't see his efforts fading away. In fact, he's more eager and more ambitious than ever before. You say that big clubs are not interested in him: we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Moksky said:

This has the potential to develop into a Payet situation.

Not only has he asked to leave, the atmosphere is currently not great between him and one or 2 players

He will be gone

Do tell! 

3 minutes ago, Moksky said:

Not only has he asked to leave, the atmosphere is currently not great between him and one or 2 players

He will be gone

If it's Gray and Musa.. bin them. :whistle:

24 minutes ago, Moksky said:

He will be gone

I heard that Gray is thinking of leaving and Liverpool are keeping tabs on him.

Mahrez is appearing to be very sulky now, throwing his dummy out of the pram etc, and this could be awkward knowing that he wishes to leave but by the end of the transfer window hasn't been sold..

But at least it appears, considering he signed a new and improved deal last year iirc, that money isn't the problem here and genuinely wants to be at a more prestigious club - which is quite understandable after this season.

21 minutes ago, Moksky said:

He will be gone

I suspect that shakey is capable of mending relationships between players in a way that Claudio couldn't. if we make some ambitious signings then we give riyad a way out by showing we can match his ambition which in turn would allow him to play in a less restricted manner.

but I accept that the club will be making every effort to sell him and get as close to 40m as they can. he has already shoved some money into the pot by asking to leave, thus releasing any loyalty bonus he would have been due.

I just think human beings are never ****ing happy. How many of us have friends who are always changing jobs thinking that new promotion will bring happiness. But they are never content.

The bloke is playing at a bigish passionate exciting club in a nice part of the country every week for loads of money infront of some of the best fans in the league. Footballers piss me off.

He agreed to stay and play football for 1 more season, pity he reneged on that  and only played football for 1/3 of a season, not sure what he was playing for the other 2/3 of a season, but he still owes us that. WEhen he goes I hope he can take his lumbering awkward oppo Slimani with him.

4 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

If he's forced to stay, he has two choices. Not play, and artifically pull down his value - or play well, and give suitors a reason to bid. 

If he's smart he'll choose the second option.

The problem is, much like the Payet situation the club never wins. Nobody wants a fed up player around and the just cut ties to get any money back - I would love us to play hard ball but it just doesn't happen. Payet's valuation was £60m + after the Euros and he went for €25m 6 months later. Players hold all the power which is pathetic considering they sign a legally binding contract.

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

There's only PSG there that would potentially have the money to buy him.

Exactly.  Financially, Ligue 1 is PSG and a bunch of minnows.  Lyon is the only club whose finances compare with LCFC's, and a 40 - 50M transfer fee would be quite a stretch.  OM have been downsized financially as well as roster-wise.  Champions League broadcast payments are much smaller for French clubs than for those from PL or La Liga.

The list of non-PL clubs that could swing that fee without Mahrez becoming their "build-around" bet (exactly the type of player he is not) is short.  This, and the owners' evident business orientation and demonstrated willingness to play hardball, is why I never understood why this is considered a done deal.  The only financial incentive to sell, is if they expect his value BOTH in contributing to a winning club on the pitch, and in the market, to continue to drop.

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This scenario is perfectly possible.

Not an outcome I would want - I just want him gone now.

Yes same here. I have no qualms with the player being honest and stating he wants to leave.

But having said this, he needs to leave.

With the benefit of hindsight, in purely financial terms, it would have been better for us if he had left last summer. Then, he was hot property, prime real estate so to speak.

With the naff season he's had this term  (comparitively) I think it's put some potential suitors off.

50 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

If he's forced to stay, he has two choices. Not play, and artifically pull down his value - or play well, and give suitors a reason to bid. 

If he's smart he'll choose the second option.

Who's to say he can play well ? A shadow of the player he was last season . I think he's actually confusing ambition with ability. He had one excellent season to win the league but so did all the players. before that ? and after that ? average.

4 hours ago, MattCan said:

what about this obsession about club finances and revenues? It's gonna be a huge profit to the club however way the deals go. Or, is it only a desperate attempt to keep Mahrez from leaving?

Because financial considerations, and the behavior of ownership, are the biggest determinants of what a club can be.  A top eight PL club is now a top 20 club worldwide.  Meaning a club with more options, and more control of its players and results.

The clubs are owned by the world’s most successful business people (or crony capitalists).  They are driven by the value of their assets.  The appreciation of the club’s value now dwarfs the profit or loss in a given year, with relegation the only exception.

A ₤30M sale fee for a Schmeichel or Mahrez seems like a mind-boggling profit to most of us.  But if it If it makes the difference in qualifying and progressing in European competition, it’s an operating loss.  More importantly, the effect lingers year-on-year, reducing the valuation of the club -- by eight or even nine figures.  ₤30M can literally be chump change from an owner’s perspective.

If you long for simpler times when football was football, console yourself that finances at least, do not determine the IDENTITY of a club.  But while our hearts are still unsure, our heads tell us a provincial yo-yo club has emerged as a player in a large, changing industry that not long ago, was just a sport we knew and loved.

Anyone can choose to look away from the pounds-and-euros making of the sausage.  Personally I would rather not be surprised by what shows up on the plate.

I agree with a lot of you that he is not necessarily a done deal. I think he has angered the owners with the way he has gone about this and any gentleman's agreement is out the window. I do believe they spoke last season man to man and said give us at least one more year on a new contract and we will let you go for a good fee next summer. Then with his statement a few days ago, basically pimping himself out to the market (he has obviously done this after being tapped up) - i think he has shot himselves in the foot. You could see by the owners almost immediate response straight to Sky that they "don't want to sell him" and they want a fee that "reflects his standing in european football" that they were not happy with what he had put out. Then his next statement that he hoped the club would reduce his fee so he can move on was one of pure desperation, he didn't even lease his little teaser out there for a week before he threw his toys out the pram. The Thai's are honorable men and I truley believe they feel let down by Riyad and his agent and are ready to fight this tooth and nail, and good luck to them!

After having a few days to think on this I'm convinced Riyad is building his part up a little bit too much here. He is basically stating that he is too good to play for Leicester City now, even though no bids for him appear to have been made. His level of skill would suggest that he is good enough for those CL teams but at the moment his performances are well short of that. After watching Atletico close up it is clear to see what makes a world class player, not only amazing ability but also the desire to be the best player on the pitch no matter what your teammates are doing, at the moment Riyad doesn't have that, his mood and application is a reflection of the teams performance. As fantastic as he can be, I'll be amazed if anyone bids over £25 for him atm.

Archived