Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

Oh ffs everyone take off your blue tinted specs, Ulloa is dog shit and as for nice guy, yeah he has loads of respect for the fans when he's refusing to play for the club ever again despite picking up a wedge each week. He's old, slow and not very good, not the kind of guy I'd be throwing pound notes at in the fight for a top 8 finish. 

Meanwhile Slimani is a nasty guy because he cost a lot of money. Didn't realise he set his own price tag? As for all the comments in his bad attitude?! Where in god's name is the evidence? So he shouts a bit now and again? I'd have been shouting like fook for 6 months of last season too! Check out his stats; anyone who wants Ulloa over that is crazy. 

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Oh ffs everyone take off your blue tinted specs, Ulloa is dog shit and as for nice guy, yeah he has loads of respect for the fans when he's refusing to play for the club ever again despite picking up a wedge each week. He's old, slow and not very good, not the kind of guy I'd be throwing pound notes at in the fight for a top 8 finish. 

This isn't an Ulloa thread...

6 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

It is when he's the reason we are supposedly sacking Slim off. Ridiculous as that would be. 

It's more the economics as someone else better put it, and the logic that IF we sign Kelchi then we are going to need to sell a striker - it's not because Ulloa is better, he's not - but you cannot argue that he's done us a good job over the years. If we sign Kelchi do you see him being backup? I imagine it will be Vardy and him up front, Slimani won't be starting games as much as he would expect/like vs. Ulloa is fine as long as he has a bit part role and gets a nice pay rise for his loyalty. Ulloa's wages still won't be as much as Slims are, Ulloas transfer fee would be less - but we could invest the £30m we are likely to get for Slimani and those extra wages into reinforcing somewhere else. What if that's the difference between signing Sigurdsson or not? Surely you'd prefer to have him - a new first 11 starter vs Slimani being an off-the-bencher?

Once again it's not because Ulloas better, football is much more complicated and wider in perspective than that dude

5 hours ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Ulloa is fine as long as he has a bit part role and gets a nice pay rise for his loyalty. 

I wouldn't call going on strike and embarrassing the club because he couldn't leave Leicester in January very loyal :P

We shouldn't give him much of a payrise either, it will make him harder to move on.

8 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Meanwhile Slimani is a nasty guy because he cost a lot of money. Didn't realise he set his own price tag? As for all the comments in his bad attitude?! Where in god's name is the evidence? So he shouts a bit now and again? I'd have been shouting like fook for 6 months of last season too! Check out his stats; anyone who wants Ulloa over that is crazy. 

I believe there are lots more factors to the situation than you've outlined. And Ulloa is perfectly capable of playing the roll required of him. I won't speculate on the factors because that's all it would be - speculation based only on hearsay and opinion.      

8 hours ago, gcxttle said:

I'd sell him to China for £40m but as I always see I don't like it when we sell to our rivals. Strengthening their squad while weakening ours, doesn't make much sense to me.

It never bothers me in the slightest about "selling to rivals".

If they don't spend their money on our players they'll still spend it elsewhere. Whoever we sell I just want the biggest fee possible and couldn't give two hoots who the buying club are.

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

I wouldn't call going on strike and embarrassing the club because he couldn't leave Leicester in January very loyal :P

We shouldn't give him much of a payrise either, it will make him harder to move on.

Hehe, fair point - although (i personally believe) if it's due to a broken promise from Ranieri which he then renegaded on - then i can understand it, he's never been nothing but professional before this incident - and he didn't refuse to play a part with Shakey once Claudio had left so i'm still confident he's a man of good character who was just upset that he wasn't playing at all - or being allowed to move.

I don't really expect him to get a monster pay-rise, nothing but a little sweetner - also means we can hit a potential £10m price for him if interest from the likes of the Swanseas, Brightons, West Broms etc come in perhaps January time.

Slimani is our most expensive/under-utilized asset in the club right now (just ahead of Musa) - and i think that's why some of us would prefer him to go while we can get the sort of money back that we paid for him, it's only going to drop if he's behind Kelchi and Vards for a year. I would hope he wouldn't go somewhere else in the Prem of course as he'd no doubt come back to haunt us :P

If we sold all the players we purchased when they didn't play well in their first season then we'd hardly have anyone left. Yet the moment he plays well (like vardy) you all get in line to blow him 

9 hours ago, SecretPro said:

You are aware if we are offering leo a new deal and selling slim, it's because the manager has had his say, and not because the owners looked on foxes talk for advice. :thumbup:

Neither suit the way we play to be fair, they give a different option yes, but as we are not party to what shakey want's in his squad or maybe selling slim creates extra funds and room for wages for someone to come in, let's wait and see.

Would like to think we could have choice of 2 from Vardy, Slimani and Iheanacho this season, with Iheanacho playing the deeper Okazaki role that he apparently enjoys and Vardy and Slimani sharing the typical no.9 role and whoever is performing and scoring, gets the nod with a little rotation to keep everyone happy and fresh. 

If we really want to push the top 6 clubs, then we need strikers of real quality to be available if Vardy or Iheanacho (if he signs) gets injured/suspended/fatigued. 

Slimani also gives us a different option and a real quality one at that. I'd like to try and hold onto him until January at least and see if Shakey can keep all 3 happy, whilst maximising all 3. Obviously with reports Ulloa is set to sign an extension, maybe Shakey doesn't feel Slimani is a) good enough or b) can give him enough playing time. 

Just hope that we won't regret that decision if Vardy or Iheanacho get injured or the goals dry up, as no one can deny that Slimani is a genuine goal scorer and they aren't that easy to find. 

Personally, I would let Ulloa go and get the game time he craves elsewhere, keep Okazaki in what will now be a minimal role but still useful and then for 6 months at least, see if we can keep all 3 happy and performing. Goals would not be an issue with those 3 in our squad (on paper at least)

Leo will be happy to be second string to Vardy and Iheanacho. Happy to sit on the bench, come on for the last 20 minutes or so and get an occasional start. Slim won't! That's why Shakey has decided to renew Leo's contract and sell Slimani. As well as the fact, that we'll get far more dosh for him - if we can ever find a club to buy him!

31 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

Leo will be happy to be second string to Vardy and Iheanacho. Happy to sit on the bench, come on for the last 20 minutes or so and get an occasional start. Slim won't! That's why Shakey has decided to renew Leo's contract and sell Slimani. As well as the fact, that we'll get far more dosh for him - if we can ever find a club to buy him!

I'm hoping this is the case. I'd love to see two up front with Vardy and Kelechi.

38 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm hoping this is the case. I'd love to see two up front with Vardy and Kelechi.

And if we get an injury we then have a substandard player to come on... if we want to "reach the next level" whatever the hell that is, that people keep talking about on here. We're going to have to accept we're going to have some pissed off players who want to play sat on the bench.

I have said this since the start, getting rid of Slimani would be a huge, huge, huge mistake. I genuinely cannot understand the amount of abuse he gets. Sure, his contribution for a £30m striker wasn't all that great but I believe there are a few good reasons for this.

Firstly, his injury problems greatly disrupted his season. This is something that he'd never encountered throughout his career before. He wasn't able to make an impact because of that. Secondly, going off to AFCON and missing a quarter of the season probably didn't do him any good, how is he meant to get a consistent run of games with those two things going on. Also, he was playing in a team that lets be honest was massively underperforming throughout the majority of ithe season. Remember, we didn't score a goal for love nor money at the start of the year. I know that it is Slim's job to score, however if he is not getting the service from the rest of the team, it is difficult. I remember sitting there and just watching the ball go backwards or sideways against bloody Southampton and Swansea. Also, when he joined, we were already some way through the season, he was chucked straight into the Premier League without a proper pre-season - a difficult task considering he had come from the Portuguese League which let's be honest is less physical and demanding.

Having said all of that, his goal and assist record is actually pretty darn respectable. Eight goals and five assists really should not be sniffed at. Without his goals, we would have been a lot closer to relegation than we actually were. Besides from that though, his movement is genuinely world class. If you look closely at the runs that he makes and when he asks for the ball, it is brilliant. But I'm sure they don't get looked at as he doesn't receive the ball. Think of the Burnley, Man City and Porto games, Slimani was brilliant in all three of those. Contrary to belief, I think he does try hard. Let's remember he is a big guy, he isn't going to run around as much as Vardy, it's physically impossible. Sure, some of the time he would run into alleys or out of play but couldn't that have been down to a lack of options and/or confidence? The passion that he shows when he scores does suggest to me that he is a fighter and does want to succeed here. Think about the last minute penalty against Middlesbrough. People praise Ulloa for his penalty vs West Ham, Slimani showed the same nerve in that game just with different stakes - relegation battle as opposed to league.

The thing about Slimani is that he is a winning, international striker. Throughout his career, he has scored 93 goals in just 213 club appearances at various levels. That's just under one in two. Keep those numbers up in the Premier League and he would score between 15-20 per season. It's just going to take him time to adapt, like it did at Sporting as others have suggested. He is also lethal for Algeria too having scored 25 in 51 appearances. That's a record not to be ignored either.

The thing is teams play to his strengths. We have the perfect combination. Albrighton crossing the ball and Slimani to either head home or either knock it down for others to score which we have seen on numerous occasions (Mahrez vs Copenhagen, Vardy vs Bournemouth).

A proper pre-season this year and I believe that we will begin to see the best of Slimani. He certainly represents a better option than Ulloa in my opinion. Having said that, I would certainly not be against keeping them both at all.

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Why are people saying Ulloa will be "happy to be second string"?

he didn't look too happy when his weird face popped up on SSN last January.

Not $ure why he want$ to $tay to be hone$t

8 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Agree with this. In fact, he shouldn't be getting a payrise at all. Rewarding poor performance, increasing age and a total disrespect of the club, fellow players and the fans.

Also, as for the fee we would get for Slimani and investing it in Siggy, I'm not sure if y'all didn't get the memo but Siggy does not want to come here, no matter how much dollar we chuck at him.

Archived