Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonny_wright

Andros Townsend...

44 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Gray has huge potential and we know exactly what we'll get from Albrighton.

Townsend at £27m is exactly the sort of player who I don't want. Expensive and a bang average PL player whose value will have peaked and not much potential to be anything more than bang average. 

To think we tried to buy Ousmane Dembele last year for a fee not as big as Townsend. lol

Buys like these are scouting team failures. 

Buys like these have become almost critical because of the failings from last season. We can't afford many more risks, we took chances last season and the club know they've blown it.

The strategy for this season is to buy from our leagues where we can, because the risk factor is lower. We've got to take it on the chin that it costs more money dealing in these leagues.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

3 permanent clubs, one of which got relegated and someone activated his release clause.

You can't blame a player for his parent club loaning him out, they were half season loans slowly moving up the leagues and proving himself at different levels. 

Its like slating Barnes for having 3 clubs at the age of 18.

No its really not. Andros is massively over rated. Scored a few worldies and everyone started wanking over him we can do better. 

Just now, Ashley said:

No its really not.

Yes it is, you've slated him for having a lot of loan clubs. What were you trying to insinuate? Spurs were doing nothing more than we did for Barnes and Lawrence, giving a young lad game time. He was 17/18 when he first started all those loans.

Just now, Ashley said:

Scored a few worldies and everyone started wanking over him we can do better. 

His stats stack up worldies or no worldies and we want proven premier league players. So where are we going to get them from? We aren't going to buy players from top clubs, so it's going to be from teams like us.

Our recruitment team and Claudio blew it last season, we can't afford many more risks from abroad. We've got a squad littered with maybe men, we need a few people you know what you're going to get. The last year and a half he's produced at a good level.

Pointless comparing stats of Townsend with Mahrez and Albrighton, he plays as an actual winger not a wide midfielder so of course he'll create more chances. And before someone pipes up with "but he makes more tackles and interceptions" this is because his role is requires less discipline so he's allowed to go in for tackles more whereas our players tend to just mark.

3 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Pointless comparing stats of Townsend with Mahrez and Albrighton, he plays as an actual winger not a wide midfielder so of course he'll create more chances. And before someone pipes up with "but he makes more tackles and interceptions" this is because his role is requires less discipline so he's allowed to go in for tackles more whereas our players tend to just mark.

:blink:

10 minutes ago, matty98 said:

What don't you understand?

Well for starters I'm pretty sure we play with two wingers. The fact he makes the tackles and interceptions shows that he's a) capable and b) actually puts the effort in to make them. Plenty don't whether they have freedom or not. Seems like a cheap attempt to discredit him.

If he's capable of putting in those numbers defensively, I'm pretty sure he's capable of staying on his feet and tracking back also.

2 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I know Gray gets slaughtered on here by most but looking at them stats he seems like he would be on par if not slightly better then others on that list if given the same game time 

That's based on minutes not totals, so it's averages. My biggest worry is his defensive side, it's piss poor.

If Andros Townsend played for a mid-table French/Italian/Spanish team and we only knew what we saw on Football Manager, BT Sport highlights and Youtube fan reels, there'd be pandemonium on here and everyone would be creaming their pants. He's not a bad player and relatively low risk, we really could do far worse.

5 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

If Andros Townsend played for a mid-table French/Italian/Spanish team and we only knew what we saw on Football Manager, BT Sport highlights and Youtube fan reels, there'd be pandemonium on here and everyone would be creaming their pants. He's not a bad player and relatively low risk, we really could do far worse.

If he played for one of those teams he wouldn't cost £28m

Just now, Max Power said:

If he played for one of those teams he wouldn't cost £28m

English player tax is bloody annoying and we all know we're paying over the odds for players. But better to have the cash to burn than not, right? :thumbup:

45 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Buys like these have become almost critical because of the failings from last season. We can't afford many more risks, we took chances last season and the club know they've blown it.

The strategy for this season is to buy from our leagues where we can, because the risk factor is lower. We've got to take it on the chin that it costs more money dealing in these leagues.

Well you've even insinuated yourself in that post that our scouting team are incompetent. Just because we made a pig's ear of it last season then this season we're going to play it safe by signing a mediocre PL player for £27m.

The bottom line is all that Townsend will do for us is frustrate Gray and not move us on. He'll keep us in the league but we can forget about trying to get any better and our goal is to stay in the league.

Outside the PL clubs and the world elite clubs there are hundreds of players who would improve us whether it be South America, Portugal, France, etc. It's a complete failure to spend such a significant sum on a player we all know will be decent but no more than that and his next move will almost certainly be a sideward one at best.

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Well you've even insinuated yourself in that post that our scouting team are incompetent. Just because we made a pig's ear of it last season then this season we're going to play it safe by signing a mediocre PL player for £27m.

The bottom line is all that Townsend will do for us is frustrate Gray and not move us on. He'll keep us in the league but we can forget about trying to get any better and our goal is to stay in the league.

Outside the PL clubs and the world elite clubs there are hundreds of players who would improve us whether it be South America, Portugal, France, etc. It's a complete failure to spend such a significant sum on a player we all know will be decent but no more than that and his next move will almost certainly be a sideward one at best.

I'm agreeing with you, they did balls up. I'm just pointing out that balls up means we're trying to take a fairly risk free approach this summer. Until we can at least move on some of those flops and free up places for a few more riskier but cheaper signings from aborad

You're right, I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture of squad building and thinking about how perhaps the club are looking at it this summer. We can't always go abroad for the cheap signings. A squad just full of foreign players (at the level we can afford) rarely works.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Well for starters I'm pretty sure we play with two wingers. The fact he makes the tackles and interceptions shows that he's a) capable and b) actually puts the effort in to make them. Plenty don't whether they have freedom or not. Seems like a cheap attempt to discredit him.

If he's capable of putting in those numbers defensively, I'm pretty sure he's capable of staying on his feet and tracking back also.

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to say they aren't good stats, obviously they are, I just don't think it's fair to compare them with Albrighton and Mahrez as they play different roles to him.

4 minutes ago, Lcfcwigstonblue said:

I'm confused also, are you saying our players don't tackle?

No, I'm saying their roles have more defensive responsibility so they can't commit to tackles as often as Townsend can.as Townsend plays higher up the pitch so there's less risk in him doing so.

3 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Would we? He's scored and assisted about 10 goals in his last 3 seasons combined. It's very poor.

8 hours ago, Ashley said:
8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Okay, more or less Albrighton in that Season. The bloke has had 12(i think) clubs in 7 years. Why is that? We could do better

He has struggled to find a club that play wingers! We are a dying breed playing 4-4-2, and he would fit us like a glove. Though he has as I wrote earlier the ability to be more central if we decided to join the rest of the league and play 3 behind Vardy.

Archived